PDA

View Full Version : Tradition Seabass, Halibut and More 6/26/11

Jackpot Jimmy
06-26-2011, 10:00 PM
On Sunday, the Tradition was loaded up with live squid ready to go fish for seabass. The day before the rig had a ¾ day charter and had 15 seabass from 20 to 50 pounds. We left the harbor shortly after 6am and headed to the fishing grounds. There were a bunch of skiffs and other small boats out already and a few of them had seabass on the boat. Throughout the morning, everyone put in an honest effort but we didn’t get a big swim-through as on Saturday. One angler was the first to hook up on a nice 19 pound white seabass. Then another angler hooked up and this one took him around the anchor line. Luckily the angler did land the fish and Captain Steven Konrady hoisted up a huge 55 pound white seabass. These seabass were the firsts for both anglers. In addition, the angler who landed the big seabass also landed a nice 17 pound halibut.

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/Jackpot-Jimmy/011-36.jpg

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/Jackpot-Jimmy/010-46.jpg

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/Jackpot-Jimmy/009-46.jpg

We waited it out a while longer but there were no more biters, so we headed to try for some calico bass and sheephead, for which the fishing was excellent the day before. And today it didn’t disappoint: the calicos, sheephead, cabazon, and even some exotic rubberlip perch and sargo were biting very well. The key for the calicos was a slider with a live squid or strips, while the sheephead eagerly took a thin strip of squid on a small hook on a dropper loop. After a while of this great fishing we had another tidal swing so we headed back to where we were in the morning. In the afternoon we had one possible hooked seabass that was lost, and the rest were bat rays.

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/Jackpot-Jimmy/007-58.jpg

Throughout the day, the water temperature hovered around 63 degrees, which is a great sign of things to come. If the water can warm up a couple more degrees, I think the bass fishing will really turn on, and we’ll finally have a great summer season – but don’t get me wrong, it’s been a great start to things with the barracuda and now the seabass. Stay tuned for more!

DockRat
06-27-2011, 06:07 AM
WTG Jimmy. I saw the fleet parked of Hermosa.
More proof that bigger Halibut come from deeper water (Gary take note).
Looks like the fleet was over a mile out. Should be about 75' to 100' depth range ?
I bet Larry Derr is stoked. DR

Native Gal
06-27-2011, 11:27 PM
JJ,
Good times gonna roll real soon, thanks for sharing the pixs.

NG

russ88
06-28-2011, 09:13 AM
I heard good things about the tradition. Nice piggy WSB!!!

gletemfeelsteelgary
06-29-2011, 11:22 AM
WTG Jimmy. I saw the fleet parked of Hermosa.
More proof that bigger Halibut come from deeper water (Gary take note).
Looks like the fleet was over a mile out. Should be about 75' to 100' depth range ?
I bet Larry Derr is stoked. DR
DR: I took note…then googled away..

My findings fall into a few different tiers.

Top ten Google results:

1. Found you to be on my ignore list but I’ll make an exception this time.
2. An individual should make a pertinent comment that pertains to the topic and or question at hand but since logic and or case history does not allow that given the scenario, one must conclude that the short bus schedule has changed and said individual has missed that bus, another short yellow bus should be by in the afternoon but don’t forget the helmet.
3. These comments, though off topic are directed to the sole individual seeking to start mayhem and not the originator of the thread so apologies for the thread jack.
4. Someone who boasts a whole lot of knowledge should idealistically put up or shut up or in other words…POST A FISH REPORT…backing up said knowledge…Will we be graced with a catch report in 2011 ? ANY KIND OF FISH.
5. In 1999 january 23rd at 7:46 am there was a worldwide web outage for 12 hours, stats show a rapid surge in fishing pressure that morning, one could hope for your benefit there will be another outage in 2011.
6. You are now a chairperson of the Gary fan club, you know the group that meets every other Thursday night at the chamber of commerce.
7. I Caught a fishee’ one time…… got a couple pics on the net to prove that…..…hmmnnn…when in rome ?
8. Someone got Envy ?
9. Someone got a pole even ?
10. Googled up a link that might help you to get out and fish: http://www.animatedknots.com/AAWebsite2008/improvedclinch/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

Tunaslam
06-29-2011, 11:25 AM
A very good day of fishing, and what a whopper of a ghost, fine job Jimmy!

Hook up!
Cory

E.A.R.G.
06-30-2011, 08:26 AM
hahahahahhahahaha fun stuff fun stuff! =)))

JapanRon
06-30-2011, 09:26 AM
Hi Jackpot Jimmy,

Great post and lots of big fishys. Kudos to the crew on saving the WSB !! Wish your regulars could get in on a big day such as that too !

JapanRon

EL_CHIDO
06-30-2011, 02:03 PM
How's it looking for tomorrow Friday the 1st - live squid on board?