PDA

View Full Version : Owens River Gorge

Poseidon
08-10-2007, 08:31 AM
Does anyone know how the place is? I am going this Saturday, and I never been there. I would like the 411 on the place. Like how big the fish are, wut bait to use, and wut lures

tenderloin
08-10-2007, 09:43 AM
Middle Owens River

The Middle Owens -- sometimes called the Owens River Gorge -- runs 20 miles through a canyon between Lake Crowley and Pleasant Valley Lake. It is small tailwater whose flows are relatively constant at 90 cubic feet per second. Access is difficult (the gorge is 300-700 feet deep) and rattlesnakes abound. Trout are smaller than in the Upper Owens, with browns averaging 8 to 10 inches.

The gorge is open year-round with no special regulations. Check out the official regulations. Dry-fly fishing is generally more successful than nymphing. Caddis and mayflies hatch frequently. Although the water is not big, wading can be tricky.

Access to the gorge is difficult. Although highway 395, Power Plant Road and Gorge Road parallel the gorge, you'll have to walk down steep paths ("scramble" may be a more appropriate term) to approach the river. The only exception is just above Pleasant Valley Reservoir at the power plant. At the upper end of the gorge, you can take Toms Place road across the river and park, but you'll still have to walk a ways

retired96
08-10-2007, 10:37 AM
This time of year it will be very hot down there. I personally would not advise it.

Devious 1
08-10-2007, 01:28 PM
You can fish that all year around.....Why would you pass up way better places to fish to sweat your brains out down in the Gorge? I only ever fish that part of the river during the winter months. Do yourself a favor and take a left up Line St. when you come into Bishop. It will take you just as long to get your pole in the water and you will have a lot of different bodies of water (lakes, streams, rivers, backwoods lakes, etc.) to choose from and at milder tempatures and much, much better scenery.

What ever you choose, best of luck and tight lines!!!

Poseidon
08-10-2007, 01:40 PM
thanks

retired96
08-10-2007, 03:17 PM
Most people fly fish the gorge, most of the fish are small browns. Why don't you drive up to the Upper Owens at Benton Crossing. I just got back from a week of fishing there and it was smoking hot. My worst day was 27 and last Saturday I caught 70 fish in a 12 hour day. I used various lures and salmon eggs. The Upper Owens has been great all sumner.

Mike274
08-10-2007, 06:53 PM
Hot is right! Was just there last weekend and it was 100+ there. One good thing is that there is not people.

P.S. as stated before be careful, travel light and take plenty of water!