PDA

View Full Version : Farmin with John, 6-25-2011

fishinone
06-25-2011, 10:11 PM
FarmerJohn and I went out this afternoon for a short session we got to the lake a little after 3:00.

I realized that I had forgotten to throw my tackle box, which includes my fishfinder into the boat when I was leaving. so we were fishing blind and didn't have any spare hooks.

We went down to the south end of the buoy line and anchored on on the point right next to the buoy line.

I dug through the leaf litter on the bottom of the boat, retrieved few sinkers and found 2 hooks on the dash. I also had 4 poles rigged. Good to go!

We watched as Mike caught a couple striper just a short distance away but didn't get any bites for a couple hours.

At around 5:30 Mike pulled up stakes. He had fished all day. He caught 7 and his guest got skunked.

We moved over onto the spot Mike had been fishing. We tried lines at different depths and didn't get hit on any of the down lines. I started casting a fly line to different spots and got hit on one soon after I set it down. I hooked up for about 4 seconds and the fish spit the whole bait out. I cast back to the same spot with the same bait, the bait was picked up again close to the surface. This time, I set the hook even harder! I got this one and beat the skunk.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Castaic%206-25-2011%20with%20Farmer%20John/IMG00675-20110625-1820.jpg
It beats eating skunk!

John and I both got picked up a few times and had the bait dropped as soon as we touched our poles.

John farmed the right side while I farmed the left side. I picked up my pole to re-cast, felt tension, swung, hooked up and had a fish on until I announced that I was hooked up. The fish promptly spit the bait at me. I could hear some commotion behind me, I looked around and said "It came off." as I saw John's rod tip coming up. He said, "the same thing just happened to me.".

I picked up 2 more fish from way up high in the water column a few minutes later and then we had to head in.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Castaic%206-25-2011%20with%20Farmer%20John/IMG00676-20110625-2118.jpg
Catch of the day!

I'm going to try again tomorrow.

koifish
06-26-2011, 03:30 PM
Ron
nice catch... good luck to you this afternoon.

SDDave
06-26-2011, 03:44 PM
Good job Ron and crew!

KID-FISH
06-27-2011, 09:46 AM
Good job beating the skunk...way to make it work without your tackle box and fishfinder.

KID

fishinone
06-27-2011, 11:21 AM
Ron
nice catch... good luck to you this afternoon.

Thanks koifish, Sunday was really slow. We farmed at a slower rate.:LOL:

Khanh got one +, I brought the little one in on Khanh's flyline while he was reeling in the big fish of the day. Mischa got the last one of the day. I was happy that he got one. He doesn't get to fish much.

So! 3 fish for 4 guys. We farmed about 5 fish also.

Good job Ron and crew!

Thanks Dave.

Good job beating the skunk...way to make it work without your tackle box and fishfinder.

KID

Wow somebody read it! :Shocked:

Thank you,

marzocchi
06-28-2011, 05:30 AM
Nice stripers Ron. Judging from the picture, the lake looks deserted.

fishinone
06-28-2011, 01:58 PM
Thank you Dat,

Late in the day the lake lice begin to thin out.

Dan was there not too far away. We were talking to him.

Lowe Boat
06-29-2011, 03:52 PM
Dan got skunked Saturday and Sunday.
Oh well, got to try some new spots.
Any suggestions?

fishinone
06-29-2011, 04:42 PM
Dan got skunked Saturday and Sunday.
Oh well, got to try some new spots.
Any suggestions?

Hi Dan,

It was nice to see you out there.

You catch lots of fish. You've put me on fish a few times.

My recommendation is to try anchoring on fish marks. More fish marks is better. When you anchor over the spot where the fish were on your fish finder, don't wait too long. If they haven't stayed there and don't come right back, try another spot. Yes! I know, that it's anchor aerobics.

Plus, get primo bait. If it's possible to get better bait than what your using, your bait is not fresh enough. Keep your bait in a cooler under a bag of ice.

I like live bait, iced down as it's put in a cooler then taken straight home and put in a freezer and frozen solid before being taken to the lake. That way it will last all day in the cooler.

Fresh dead bait works good in the morning but goes bad later in the day.

But, don't leave home without the old bait. Every once in a while they won't take the fresh when they will take the sort of fresh.