PDA

View Full Version : Blue Gill and LMB at Lake Perris 6/25/11

Kelster
06-25-2011, 08:22 PM
Finally took the tube to LP today and had a pretty good day. Got there a little after 6:00 am and headed to lots 11 & 12. Took the advice and used some old luggage straps hook to use as back pack straps and man it made it easier to lug the tube down to the water. Headed east and there were shad exploded all around me. Caught a couple small BG's early but kept heading east. I thought that I was wrong because all the other tubers stayed by the launch ramp. I was right, I landed on a school of BG's that kept me busy all morning long. There were a couple of bass that were slamming the shad, I'll come back to them. I lost count of how many BG's I caught but it was more then 15 and less then 30. Most of them were small, some so small that I wasn't sure that they were hooked until I reeled them in. 5 or 6 though were 9 inches. All were caught using the small Snap Bean crank bait. That is one awesome little lure. Now back to those LMB, I kept throwing a BG colored spinning bait at them, but no bites. It was about 1:00pm and I was getting tired and the arthritis in my shoulders was killing me, so I decided to start kicking back. I grabbed a Strike King and put it on a my 2# test rod. Only a couple of casts and BAM, LMB on. You can't have anymore fun with your clothes on then fighting a LMB on light tackle. By the time I landed him the hook had come through and took out his right eye. He looked like a goner, every time I let him go he went belly up. I kicked around for half an hour before he finally came around and I was able to release him.
Picture of LMB
The two lures, The Snap Bean comes with a treble hook but only had one hook left, LOL
El Rey Del Mundo and Banquet Beer as I clean up the tube
Another pic of the LMB
One of the many blue gills

vortec_cruiser
06-25-2011, 09:53 PM
Nice going. You certainly had a great day. What color is that Snap Bean?

phishin phool
06-25-2011, 10:35 PM
Great job out there kelster, maybe I can get out your way soon and you can show me the Perris hotspots. I ended up going to GVL with girlfriend, pretty slow there. I hope they stock Jenks next week.

M@M
06-25-2011, 10:40 PM
Gotta love that Lake!!

SirBluegill
06-25-2011, 10:43 PM
Am glad the snap beans didn't disappoint, ya the little gills also love them.

TheAsianGuy
06-25-2011, 11:52 PM
Very nice work! Looks like you got some massive fun today.

bassgrabber1
06-26-2011, 05:17 AM
Good job...I knew you would find them.

Kelster
06-26-2011, 09:14 AM
Nice going. You certainly had a great day. What color is that Snap Bean?

Blue and silver. they work great from the smallest to big. I missed a couple that felt pretty big due to the hook sittuation on the Snap Bean. I definitely will use those in my arsenal. I didn't see any Crappie, would like to go fish those soon.
bassgrabber1- Yep find some structure and hang around until they aren't biting anymore.

tagg27
06-27-2011, 08:35 PM
Sounds like you had a great day. Got love those Yo Zuris. I know I'm a believer. Can't wait to go back to LP. Work keeps getting in the way. Great fish and Great report. I like your clean up accessories.