PDA

View Full Version : Alamitos Bay Questions

snslarison
06-25-2011, 12:00 PM
Hi Guys,

Im going to be going out to Alamitos Bay for the first time in my float tube in the next couple of days and I have a couple of questions.

1) What are the rules as far as where I can fish and where I cant?
2) What species should I target? What will I have the best chances with right now? (Im not experienced with bay fishing) Perch? Croaker? Bass?
3) What tackle and what type of lures should I take?
4) Anything else you think I should know?

Thanks guys. I've been wanting to get my tube in the water out there, I just want to know the dos and donts so I dont get in any kind of trouble out there.

Thanks!

Scott

SeapointFlyGuy
06-25-2011, 01:51 PM
I fish it with a flyrod from my kayak sometimes. Sandbass, YFC, and pancake-sized halibut are the standard catch in there this time of year, although I have occasionally caught calicos, jacksmelt, and seen people catch corbina as well. Of course there are some bigger 'buts lurking there which may hit large plastics. Last time I was there, maybe 6 weeks ago, I caught a lot of lizardfish (including some biguns) in the middle of the big open area.

That first beach inside the bay entrance is a good one to drift off of looking for sandies, just outside the small marina wall off the beach. When feeding they will hit anything that moves, but you might try small plastics with some orange on the belly. Also the boat docks on the beach side between the beaches have been productive.

Try to find free parking on the street in the peninsula, because it's probably too far for a tube if you park over at the 2nd street bridge and launch from the swimming beach.

Good luck! I might hit that bay up myself Tuesday or Wednesday.

-Andrew

Ifishtoolittle
06-25-2011, 02:04 PM
Just target the LIZARDS! They're pretty darn huge and will strike anything really. A jigging rap is a fun way to do it.

BrandonFish
06-25-2011, 05:47 PM
Just target the LIZARDS! They're pretty darn huge and will strike anything really. A jigging rap is a fun way to do it.

LOL.
Release all fish specially the prego ones.

snslarison
06-27-2011, 03:18 PM
Thanks guys. I plan to CR all I catch. I will be giving it a try next week.

smokehound
06-27-2011, 11:23 PM
I wouldnt eat any sargo, perch, or croakers from alamitos. the close proximity to San Pedro makes them hazardous to eat.