PDA

View Full Version : 6/24/11

DynoDan
06-25-2011, 01:39 AM
6/24/11

Cat bite started at dark 30. Got about 15 cats on shrimp and Mac. Had a blast and fished in the flats.

2quikmotorwerks
06-25-2011, 09:00 AM
Pics or it didn't happen, lol just playin good job man.Waters warming up bite should go bananas shortly.

want2fishmore
06-25-2011, 11:55 AM
Boat or shore? For the first time this year, I was able to fish yesterday and the day prior. On Thursday, I went on a minutes whim and arrived at the lake around 5:30pm. I was planning on fishing from the shore since there wasn't much time left to fish and my wallet was thin. On the other hand, it was super saver Thursday and my mind told me that the best chance to catch would be from a boat. So, I took the leap, rented a boat, and headed out to the West Shore area. I felt really confident and thought it was cool that I was the only boat in the area (hehe) Almost all other boaters were in the Flats. Anyways, one pole was slip sinker rigged with 15lb test and a size 1 kahle hook. The second pole had 10lb test, size 1 kahle hook, and two small split shots I just clamped about 1 1/2 feet up. Baits used were a 99 ranch fish that was cheap and resembled a mackeral, shrimp, and chicken liver. Stayed about 10 feet out from the submerged brush and tossed the line towards them (how close do you get to the submerged stuff?) Boat kept spinning to the left or right even though I threw out the anchors. Tried to keep it still with shoddy knots that kept coming undone. I was mentally preparing myself for the dark being equipped with only a tiny maglite. Anyways, not even a nibble. Hmmm, maybe that's why everyone were in the Flats (u think?:0). I have so much to learn.

Yesterday, got there around the same time. Fished from shore. A guy at the tackle shop said to head towards the Flats. I drove over there and noticed most spots were taken. I have an injured knee so was looking for a place to park and not do much walking. The area past the fence was not an option. The area near the fence had some people already. Technically there was some room to fish over there, but people were spreading out their lines like 8ft apart from each pole. Whatever, didn't want to deal with it so I headed back down the road a little and found a spot with submerged stuff. Too much sumberged stuff for me to cast out. Left after 1/2 an hour. Most spots from the south side of the tackle shop heading west to the Flats were taken. So...I went over to the West Fork area. Found a spot and set up shop. Again, 99 ranch mackeral looking fish, shrimp, and chicken liver. Again, not one bite.

Packed up and left about 11:15pm. Driving past the cleaning station, there were some guys chatting and a freakin mound of cats on the table. Was that you?

Question: 1) Okay, so when using the slip sinker rig, the bait sits at the bottom. Isn't it better to have the bait sitting above all of the growth at the bottom? 2) where are the best areas to fish from shore? 3) how do you anchor and position up near the submerged stuff if on a boat?

As you can tell, I have tons to learn. Striving to be as knowledgable as an Elaine, Phil H., Pontoon, Taper Steve or the like. :)

DynoDan
06-25-2011, 10:10 PM
Boat or shore? For the first time this year, I was able to fish yesterday and the day prior. On Thursday, I went on a minutes whim and arrived at the lake around 5:30pm. I was planning on fishing from the shore since there wasn't much time left to fish and my wallet was thin. On the other hand, it was super saver Thursday and my mind told me that the best chance to catch would be from a boat. So, I took the leap, rented a boat, and headed out to the West Shore area. I felt really confident and thought it was cool that I was the only boat in the area (hehe) Almost all other boaters were in the Flats. Anyways, one pole was slip sinker rigged with 15lb test and a size 1 kahle hook. The second pole had 10lb test, size 1 kahle hook, and two small split shots I just clamped about 1 1/2 feet up. Baits used were a 99 ranch fish that was cheap and resembled a mackeral, shrimp, and chicken liver. Stayed about 10 feet out from the submerged brush and tossed the line towards them (how close do you get to the submerged stuff?) Boat kept spinning to the left or right even though I threw out the anchors. Tried to keep it still with shoddy knots that kept coming undone. I was mentally preparing myself for the dark being equipped with only a tiny maglite. Anyways, not even a nibble. Hmmm, maybe that's why everyone were in the Flats (u think?:0). I have so much to learn.

Yesterday, got there around the same time. Fished from shore. A guy at the tackle shop said to head towards the Flats. I drove over there and noticed most spots were taken. I have an injured knee so was looking for a place to park and not do much walking. The area past the fence was not an option. The area near the fence had some people already. Technically there was some room to fish over there, but people were spreading out their lines like 8ft apart from each pole. Whatever, didn't want to deal with it so I headed back down the road a little and found a spot with submerged stuff. Too much sumberged stuff for me to cast out. Left after 1/2 an hour. Most spots from the south side of the tackle shop heading west to the Flats were taken. So...I went over to the West Fork area. Found a spot and set up shop. Again, 99 ranch mackeral looking fish, shrimp, and chicken liver. Again, not one bite.

Packed up and left about 11:15pm. Driving past the cleaning station, there were some guys chatting and a freakin mound of cats on the table. Was that you?

Question: 1) Okay, so when using the slip sinker rig, the bait sits at the bottom. Isn't it better to have the bait sitting above all of the growth at the bottom? 2) where are the best areas to fish from shore? 3) how do you anchor and position up near the submerged stuff if on a boat?

As you can tell, I have tons to learn. Striving to be as knowledgable as an Elaine, Phil H., Pontoon, Taper Steve or the like. :)

Ok I was in the flates in the trees. About 10 to 15 ft from them. I fly line my bait. A size 1/0 or 2/0 hook. I used shirmp and big chunks of Bonita. The cats are in to smells. But there mounth isn't on the bottom of there body. So at night it's all about smells. I my self am no profisherman and am learning all the time. I am planing another trip Friday. Rent a pontoon again with about 5 guys. If you wish to join us pm me.

want2fishmore
06-25-2011, 11:03 PM
Ok I was in the flates in the trees. About 10 to 15 ft from them. I fly line my bait. A size 1/0 or 2/0 hook. I used shirmp and big chunks of Bonita. The cats are in to smells. But there mounth isn't on the bottom of there body. So at night it's all about smells. I my self am no profisherman and am learning all the time. I am planing another trip Friday. Rent a pontoon again with about 5 guys. If you wish to join us pm me.

Thank you for the offer and just might send you a pm :Big Grin: Your knowledge is far better than mine.