PDA

View Full Version : Best pier for solid action?

Ifishtoolittle
06-24-2011, 11:46 PM
So after returning from Florida I've been having withdrawls from lack of decent salt action. :LOL: I was wondering if one would pic a pier to fish for Macs or really anything that is large in numbers and provides solid action where would one go? Also, I'd prefer it if this pier is around the LA area. Is Belmont a good choice or should I just go to KH? Thanks in advance, I don't normally post such noobish questions, but my salt experience from shore is limited.

-IF2L

smokehound
06-27-2011, 06:29 AM
Do you have a license? if so, I'd avoid the piers, and hit the harbor or surf, instead.

Ifishtoolittle
06-27-2011, 02:36 PM
I always have a license, but I've been aching for Mackerel lol.

smokehound
06-27-2011, 06:57 PM
I always have a license, but I've been aching for Mackerel lol.Mackerel? Well, i'd hit newport, HB, or Balboa pier..

You can catch macks at seal beach pier, but they tend to be smaller. Just pick up some squid and either flyline a chunk, or split-shot it. (since I'm assuming you want to fight them) Using larger hooks will get you larger macks.

They have a huge mouth, so even a smaller mack can be hooked with a bigger hook!

manuel149
06-27-2011, 08:40 PM
What size hook & lb. line?

smokehound
06-27-2011, 08:41 PM
What size hook & lb. line?It really doesnt matter when it comes to mackerel. They arent smart fish, and arent line shy. You could use rope and still catch 'em.

Davegonefishin
06-27-2011, 09:03 PM
Last year we were fishing at night using a light stick attached to our lines with a piece of squid on the hook and could have caught macs all night. We were fishing Oceanside Pier.

Ifishtoolittle
06-27-2011, 09:06 PM
Looks like I'm going to make a trip to Seal Beach Pier soon. Hey Smokehound I don't remember if you were the one that posted this, but I read somewhere on the board that the current from the Pacific is usually weaker around the LA area. This is due to the PV blocking the current? Is this true? Less current= less macs and smaller ones?

Ifishtoolittle
06-27-2011, 09:08 PM
Mackerel? Well, i'd hit newport, HB, or Balboa pier..

You can catch macks at seal beach pier, but they tend to be smaller. Just pick up some squid and either flyline a chunk, or split-shot it. (since I'm assuming you want to fight them) Using larger hooks will get you larger macks.

They have a huge mouth, so even a smaller mack can be hooked with a bigger hook!

Thanks Smokehound. What about Belmont? Are macs usually thick there or no?

smokehound
06-27-2011, 09:21 PM
Looks like I'm going to make a trip to Seal Beach Pier soon. Hey Smokehound I don't remember if you were the one that posted this, but I read somewhere on the board that the current from the Pacific is usually weaker around the LA area. This is due to the PV blocking the current? Is this true? Less current= less macs and smaller ones?Basically, yes. That's true. However larger macs often DO invade the bays and harbors in massive schools during a good high-tide, occasionally. Like the whole mass anchovy kill we had a while back.

Belmont is a good pier, it's better for macs than Seal. Also can find some big spotfins and sargo at that pier too.

Try bringing some mussels or ghost shrimp! Look out for batrays and shovels.

Also, yes I did say that. From seal, all the way to PV is like a massive bay, due to that point jutting out.

stressD
06-27-2011, 09:32 PM
personally haven't fished there but i heard redondo pier can be good for macs.

oakboy
07-01-2011, 09:33 AM
For the Macs I use Sabiki jigs off of San Clemente Pier.

<><
KP

DockRat
07-02-2011, 06:42 AM
Chop up the sides of the mac into 1/2" squares and toss a little chum every couple minutes.
Sacrifice a couple for chum and catch more (if chum is needed to get them going).
DR

Ifishtoolittle
07-03-2011, 12:57 PM
Chop up the sides of the mac into 1/2" squares and toss a little chum every couple minutes.
Sacrifice a couple for chum and catch more (if chum is needed to get them going).
DR

Well I won't be keeping any Macs. I'm just going to catch them for fun, but I'll keep chumming in mind.

Ifishtoolittle
07-03-2011, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the info guys.

oakboy
07-04-2011, 09:51 AM
A technique i have not used yet but saw other guys doing friday night was rig a glow stick with a 2 to 3 foot leader with a mosquito hook and a little chunk of squid. They were cetching tons of macs and bait fish.

KP

oakboy
07-04-2011, 09:53 AM
A technique i have not used yet but saw other guys doing friday night was rig a glow stick with a 2 to 3 foot leader with a mosquito hook and a little chunk of squid. They were cetching tons of macs and bait fish.

KP