PDA

View Full Version : The quagga attacks castaic

keepemlo
06-24-2011, 06:42 PM
I have been informed that castaic ,pyramid and piru as of sept will start quagga mussel inspections...whatever..rules change we all must change too...the biggest heartbreak is that tubers will only be allowed to lauch from the east ramp ...the west side of the lake will be
Reserved for those who rent kayaks and tubes..well to you younger guys this might not pose a problem but for me ,I can't do that much kicking in a day..there was much protest ..,there is another meeting next Tuesday if anyone wants to voice an opinion
..they are in the process of training and hiring inspectors..start drying out your boats

seal
06-24-2011, 07:57 PM
Tubes will never be the cause of the spread, totally dumb! Yes they can attach, maybe, possibly, but if they do attach to tubes they will also attach to shoes, boots, sandals (larvae) so it's just one of those stupid makes no sense rules.

Are they going to inspect every towable that people bring in the back of their truck or since swimming is allowed how many different toys could pick up the mussel's also? So tossing a tube in the back of your truck is about the same as after using a blow up and tossing it back there, no????

Dumb and dumber rules!!!

keepemlo
06-24-2011, 09:41 PM
Yeah I guess they will..if they are there or not we still have to comply...maybe it won't suck as bad as we think man I liked launching from the beach and drifting down ,,,

fish-o-haulic
06-24-2011, 09:53 PM
wow I knew it would be a matter of time before they reached those lakes. the last few sacred strongholds against inspections.

keepemlo
06-24-2011, 10:08 PM
Copy that fish ,I guess quaggas are really deadly I'm gonna go and look em up theyvsay they clog up stuff and
Cause expensive closures

TheAsianGuy
06-24-2011, 10:21 PM
Let's just say that the more money pouring into taking care of this nuisance, there will not be any funding left in taking care of stocking your game fishes..that is, they charge you an arm and a leg for entrance fees.

laserbrn
06-24-2011, 10:32 PM
I don't know why you guys would be against inspections. It's only a problem if you aren't doing what you're supposed to be doing. Dry out your boats! I'm sorry, but Joe Pleasure Boater runs over to Havasue for the weekend (my neighbor for example this weekend) and he comes back and he hits castaic a few days later and BAM, quagga mussels.

The only thing that I don't understand is why wait until September and why is it taking so long in the first place? It's during this slow response that these mussels are going to be introduced anyway.

SDDave
06-24-2011, 11:28 PM
http://http://www.castaiclake.com/images/news/news_stopspecies.jpg
This is nothing new guys, it's all about money, they got it to spend now so there spending it, it will be a train wreck sorry but there's no other way to say it.
For the last 3 years this has been a known threat with no real way of stopping it's spread!
To allow people to be on there honor to keep there boats out of Castaic if they have been in waters that are known to have mussels, and that is pretty much anybody of water east if us, anyone that comes from DLV, skinner, silverwood, Perris, vail, or any of the SD lakes is knowingly bringing mussels into Castaic.
So now everyone is going to be checked by people who should stay with there jobs as greeters at Walmart!

Liteweight
06-25-2011, 02:43 AM
Copy that fish ,I guess quaggas are really deadly I'm gonna go and look em up theyvsay they clog up stuff and
Cause expensive closures

:Soap Box:I wish everybody would do some research on these invasive species before complaining. If your someone other than a trout fisherman you might want to look up the research on the damage these species cause (at least we can/do stock Trout). Some of the most recent reports/research indicates up to a 30% drop in game fishes where these have invaded. SMALLMOUTH & LARGEMOUTH BASS, Walleye, Pike have all been affected (and we don't have a stocking program for these). AS a Fly Angler I have visited some of the fabled streams (back East and the Rocky Mtn West) where Trout populations has been severely curtailed/decimated from the introduction of these invasive species.

For those who do not wish or are too lazy to do the research, here's brief explanation; New Zealand Zebra Snails (bottom feeder/filter)and Quagga Mussels are filter feeders (which is good for water purification). However, the plankton/algea and insect eggs and larvea that these species feed on is also the food that all fish fry and baitfish rely on for food. And so goes the food chain, no insects,fry,baitfish=no gamefish.

Seal pointed out that inspecting JUST the tubes would seem insufficient to stop the spread and they would be correct. If they were really dedicated to attempting to limit the spread they would also inspect Waders & shoes also.

Hey Seal; Tubes CAN transport these species (just so you know).

Asian Guy; I don't know what you deem "an arm and a leg" for entrance fees. Castaic charges $11 daily for all day and $7 for launching a vessel (non-motorized), and how much do you spend for a movie, any sports game that lasts 1hr. 30 mins or more (including drinks/popcorn etc.)?
IMO best deal in town.

btw; Dave to what $ are you talking about??? Parks and Rec, is broke. They can't even staff the lake to open for swimming (beach) all week. And if you haven't noticed the "swim beach" area is getting smaller (compared to 10 years ago)[which is good for float tube/boaters].
Just Thurs.-Sun.

http://www.castaiclake.com/lowerlake.html

There was even some talk about what days (if any) to open the upper/lower lake (late last year during Co. budget talks).
LW

SDDave
06-25-2011, 05:12 AM
btw; Dave to what $ are you talking about??? Parks and Rec, is broke. They can't even staff the lake to open for swimming (beach) all week. And if you haven't noticed the "swim beach" area is getting smaller (compared to 10 years ago)[which is good for float tube/boaters].
The money is coming in from outside sources, that the only reason that there starting these inspections!
Like you said the Parks and Rec's are working on a shoestring and do a great job.
Education is the key, just make the commercial like a Beer ad and run night and day like they do for alcohol and it might gets some where, this issue has been beat to death on so many other boards, and now it's here on fnn, good thing to talk about, just not in this forum for reports.

fishinone
06-25-2011, 11:40 AM
It doesn't appear that we are being given the whole story.

If the reports are true, DVL and Skinner already have quagga mussels but they both inspect to prevent quagga infestation.

If the quagga mussels are in the source water like the Colorado Aqueduct, the lakes already have the mussels. The inspections should occur when the boats are taken out of the water not before they are put in.

It seem to be about money and/or control. If you were given money to be a quagga Czar, you'd probably do it. It seems harmless enough. But what will they be doing after it's revealed, that the lakes are already infested?

seal
06-25-2011, 01:23 PM
:Soap Box:I wish everybody would do some research on these invasive species before complaining. If your someone other than a trout fisherman you might want to look up the research on the damage these species cause (at least we can/do stock Trout). Some of the most recent reports/research indicates up to a 30% drop in game fishes where these have invaded. SMALLMOUTH & LARGEMOUTH BASS, Walleye, Pike have all been affected (and we don't have a stocking program for these). AS a Fly Angler I have visited some of the fabled streams (back East and the Rocky Mtn West) where Trout populations has been severely curtailed/decimated from the introduction of these invasive species.

For those who do not wish or are too lazy to do the research, here's brief explanation; New Zealand Zebra Snails (bottom feeder/filter)and Quagga Mussels are filter feeders (which is good for water purification). However, the plankton/algea and insect eggs and larvea that these species feed on is also the food that all fish fry and baitfish rely on for food. And so goes the food chain, no insects,fry,baitfish=no gamefish.

Seal pointed out that inspecting JUST the tubes would seem insufficient to stop the spread and they would be correct. If they were really dedicated to attempting to limit the spread they would also inspect Waders & shoes also.

Hey Seal; Tubes CAN transport these species (just so you know).

Asian Guy; I don't know what you deem "an arm and a leg" for entrance fees. Castaic charges $11 daily for all day and $7 for launching a vessel (non-motorized), and how much do you spend for a movie, any sports game that lasts 1hr. 30 mins or more (including drinks/popcorn etc.)?
IMO best deal in town.

Just Thurs.-Sun.

http://www.castaiclake.com/lowerlake.html

There was even some talk about what days (if any) to open the upper/lower lake (late last year during Co. budget talks).
LW

Maybe I was being a big sarcastic but yes I do realize that mussels can be spread via tubes, my main point was the fact that they could be introduced so many other ways and the inspections I have witnessed on tubes is a quick visual and testing to make sure they are dry but no tagging so since tubes can be launched anywhere then they are basically just inspecting the honest ones that actually mention at the gate that they have tubes.

See it's the holes in the system that I am pointing out. But if they can at least prevent a few it can slow the spread, that's the only logic I can apply to the system! If you can't connect the dots then there are holes and in those holes hide mussels.

TroutOnly
06-26-2011, 08:10 AM
Dvl was the first to do the inspections,its no big deal you learn the drill and do it every time you come off the water.if they were quagga positive then they would be inspecting youre boat after you come off to make sure youre draining the water. Irvine lake is one of the only lakes that is quagga positive and they dont check you when you come out to see if transferring water.san antonio started inspections ther main man told me there county was given money to do it ,to try to protect there water,,,,,,,,,,if silverwood is positive why arent they inspecting on the way out instead of in????

fish-o-haulic
06-26-2011, 03:41 PM
Dvl was the first to do the inspections,its no big deal you learn the drill and do it every time you come off the water.if they were quagga positive then they would be inspecting youre boat after you come off to make sure youre draining the water. Irvine lake is one of the only lakes that is quagga positive and they dont check you when you come out to see if transferring water.san antonio started inspections ther main man told me there county was given money to do it ,to try to protect there water,,,,,,,,,,if silverwood is positive why arent they inspecting on the way out instead of in????

Only reasonable answer is that they dont want more quaggas being brought in.

EMarty
06-26-2011, 06:47 PM
I have been to Piru twice this summer with a float tube, and was inspected both times. Not a big deal to have some one look over your float tube. I agree they should also be inspecting boots, shoes and flippers... Takes just a few minute. I also taked to one of the lifegaurds at lower castaic a couple weeks back and he said that launching would need to be done from the east side. I ask if after inspection could I carry my tube down the beach before launching, and his reply was no. I asked would I be required to kick all the way back and his response was it would likely be OK to carry the tube back to the car. Oh well... I don't think I'm going to like it, but it won't stop me from fishing the lake I love.

bassmeister
06-27-2011, 02:19 PM
They need to start inspecting all the migratory birds if they want to stop spreading the mussel's. The only problem's I've ever had in inspections where during the wet seasons, just short of shrink wrapping my boat till I get it to the lake an inspected might fix that though.

TheAsianGuy
06-27-2011, 04:26 PM
..just short of shrink wrapping my boat till I get it to the lake an inspected might fix that though..

Try not to give authorities the ideas or we all may have to shrink wrap our watercrafts :LOL: I've seen a few coming and going along the 5 highway through the Ventura-L.A. Counties, as they turned into the local lakes. For what reasons, I have yet to understand..but we're pretty short of wrapping the watercrafts as we enter into freshwater bodies now.

DarkShadow
06-27-2011, 04:43 PM
:Soap Box:I wish everybody would do some research on these invasive species before complaining. If your someone other than a trout fisherman you might want to look up the research on the damage these species cause (at least we can/do stock Trout). Some of the most recent reports/research indicates up to a 30% drop in game fishes where these have invaded. SMALLMOUTH & LARGEMOUTH BASS, Walleye, Pike have all been affected (and we don't have a stocking program for these).

Precisely! Look how terrible the bass fishery at Lake Havasu has become because of the mussels.

:-D

ghost2uu
06-27-2011, 04:51 PM
they need to start inspecting all the migratory birds if they want to stop spreading the mussel's. The only problem's i've ever had in inspections where during the wet seasons, just short of shrink wrapping my boat till i get it to the lake an inspected might fix that though.

exactly i have a buddy in michigan that got the mussels in a koi pond in his back yard. No tube launching or boat launching in his koi pond. But lots of ducks with the larve all over them. Good luck on the duck inspections.

DarkShadow
06-27-2011, 04:53 PM
Good luck on the duck inspections.

http://images.wikia.com/rainbowsix/images/d/dc/Shotgun_Mossberg_590.jpg

Problem solved!

Pete Marino
06-27-2011, 07:02 PM
SDDAVE... you said...

"This is nothing new guys, it's all about money, they got it to spend now so there spending it, it will be a train wreck sorry but there's no other way to say it.
For the last 3 years this has been a known threat with no real way of stopping it's spread!
To allow people to be on there honor to keep there boats out of Castaic if they have been in waters that are known to have mussels, and that is pretty much anybody of water east if us, anyone that comes from DLV, skinner, silverwood, Perris, vail, or any of the SD lakes is knowingly bringing mussels into Castaic.
So now everyone is going to be checked by people who should stay with there jobs as greeters at Walmart! "

Did I read this right... are you really saying that DVL, Perris, Silverwood and ALL water East of Castaic has Quagga's??? If so, where are you getting your information?? Because I believe it to be false....

Pete

seal
06-27-2011, 07:50 PM
But the point remains, are we really accomplishing anything or just buying time? My guess is buying time, but for what? I'd love to hear someone is actually working on a fix, if not then really this is just the beginning of the end of recreational boating in Southern California, another major hit to our ecomomy.

SDDave
06-27-2011, 09:28 PM
SDDAVE... you said...

"This is nothing new guys, it's all about money, they got it to spend now so there spending it, it will be a train wreck sorry but there's no other way to say it.
To allow people to be on there honor to keep there boats out of Castaic if they have been in waters that are known to have mussels, and that is pretty much anybody of water east if us, anyone that comes from DLV, skinner, silverwood, Perris, Vail, or any of the SD lakes is knowingly bringing mussels into Castaic.
So now everyone is going to be checked by people who should stay with there jobs as greeters at Walmart! "

Did I read this right... are you really saying that DVL, Perris, Silverwood and ALL water East of Castaic has Quagga's??? If so, where are you getting your information?? Because I believe it to be false....

Pete
Well Pete, I always thought that you were pretty well read, but if you missed this article back in May By George Kramer I'll post it up here for you and you can redirect and call George out...
http://kramergonefishing.com/2011/05/23/sounds-like-a-cover-up-so-then-what/
Then here is the Quote from the article: But closer to home, my sources cited even more compelling testimony–that divers used by the Metropolitan Water District–have admitted to cleaning quaggas out of underwater pipes at Diamond Valley Lake. While MWD has been adamant in their boat inspections and have reportedly tried various “treatments” in their pipeline system, maybe they haven’t heard: there’s no such thing as being a little bit pregnant. Yes. I think they know they have quagga mussels, yet they still demand your boat be as dry as “a couple hundred pounds of moon rocks.” So I ask you, ”Do you think they’d tell us?”
So, If someone is on DVL, bounces to Perris, hits Silverwood, down to Vail and is on there honor as to the last place they've fished or took the family out for a day water skiing at Mohavie and thay want to go and spend the day at Castaic, there going to say whatever gets them on the lake!
Castaic has been open to this ever since the quagga scare started 3 years or more ago in So. Cal.
By no means I'm implying that you or any other person that has known of this would bring there boat to Castaic without making sure it was clean and dry and every precaution was taken before launching.

Pete Marino
06-27-2011, 10:29 PM
Take it easy Dave.. I didnt think you were implying anything towards me..
Besides when I take my boat off any lake and plan on going to another lake, my boat is clean and dry..period..

And for the record, I AM Very "well read"...save your insult...I dont need it, nor, do I deserve it.. You dont know me and I dont know you... I was simply replying to your post that seems a bit out of line about our local lakes given the fact that DVL, Perris and Silverwood have yet to be confirmed as having Quaggas in them. I think its reckless to say here that Every lake east of castaic has quaggas, Just because Kramer implied something on his blog ... Kramer doesnt work for the DFG or Water district and hasnt done inspections to prove with certainty that DVL and all other Riverside county lakes were indeed infested with Quagga...

Bottom line is all boats need to be clean and dry.. Its about time castaic joins the inspection party....

Pete

SDDave
06-27-2011, 11:37 PM
Pete , in this reply you finally come out and say what you wanted to say in the first post, I know your on a lot of another fishing forums, so that's why I mentioned that I was suprised that you hadn't heard of kramers or others post about about mussel being found there, so it came across that you were trying to call me out and stir the pot!
I mean, quoting me and then saying everything I said was false and had no proof is like calling me a lair!
And now your insulted over it, I think you just relax a little bit.
This whole issue has been beaten to death for so long on every other bass forum for years and now it's here on fnn, so I guess to me now that Castaic is deciding to do something because they have money's earmarked for it is just other way to put the squeeze to Castaic anglers.
Im responding to this on a I phone and I've allready deleted this by mistake twice cause I'm beat from fishing Pyramid today so I might edited later so u can quote me. If you want to keep it going.

smokehound
06-28-2011, 05:38 AM
Pete , in this reply you finally come out and say what you wanted to say in the first post, I know your on a lot of another fishing forums, so that's why I mentioned that I was suprised that you hadn't heard of kramers or others post about about mussel being found there, so it came across that you were trying to call me out and stir the pot!
I mean, quoting me and then saying everything I said was false and had no proof is like calling me a lair!
And now your insulted over it, I think you just relax a little bit.
This whole issue has been beaten to death for so long on every other bass forum for years and now it's here on fnn, so I guess to me now that Castaic is deciding to do something because they have money's earmarked for it is just other way to put the squeeze to Castaic anglers.
Im responding to this on a I phone and I've allready deleted this by mistake twice cause I'm beat from fishing Pyramid today so I might edited later so u can quote me. If you want to keep it going.Aren't Lover's quarrels hilarious?

Pete Marino
06-28-2011, 08:17 AM
Dave, This has nothing to do with you personally. Regardless of who said it, I think that implying that All lakes East of Castaic have Quagga is inaccurate and highly premature given the fact that no quagga have been formally found in most of the lakes you mentioned with the exception of Mohave and Skinner...

Im not calling you a liar, Im saying that you shouldnt take everything you read on the internet as fact until said agencies (DFG or MWD) come out and say it... Anybody can write anything they want to raise eyebrows, make people wonder and stir the pot...but until its proven, its just one mans opinion..

Like I said, Im not calling you a liar and I have no ax to grind against you personally, whether you believe that or not is up to you..
I just know (because I see it all the time) that DVL, Perris Silverwood and even Vail have pretty strict clean and dry inspections and have been doing so for over 2-3 years already. Is it all worth it??? That question is debatable...

Pete

DarkShadow
06-28-2011, 08:23 AM
Once again a reporter has been given wrong information. I have checked with MWD and their dive folks and they have NOT SEEN ANY quagga mussels in Diamond Valley. If they were to find them there are laws that require they notify Fish and Game and a bunch of other folk immediately. At this time there has not been any water from the Colorado River put into Diamond Valley since 2006 and the mussels were first found in Lake Mead in January 2007. All the water coming into DVL right now is from the CA. aqueduct. There are mussels in the San Diego Canal which is in front of DVL and in the forebay which is fed by the canal as well as the pumping plant that is used for power generation. The water coming into DVL now does NOT go through the pumping plant. Hopefully with the tough inspections we can keep the mussels out of the lake. If they are found before they bring river water into the lake you can bet the boaters will be blamed. Once they bring water from the Colorado River back into DVL it will likely become infected even with chlorination treatments. Hopefully this will put this issue to rest but it probably won't.

Just adding someone else's 2 cents.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

SDDave
06-28-2011, 10:35 AM
Well lets turn it around Pete, prove that there not in the lake already, just because you read on the Internet that they ain't makes it so? Irvine is one, how many people bounce from there to non infected lakes? I done Cachuma's quaaga inspection and spray down and watched other boats that dripped water make it into that lake, And now there training people to do it at Castaic, again little to late I believe.
I been reading and have met George and If he goes out on a limb and makes a statement like he did I tend to believe him, Believing in what the government says puts us in the coral just like all the other good cows...
They tell us what they want us to believe so they can spend tax payers money to be able to tell us what we can or can't do!
And as long as we just go along with them and never question it and be good little boys and girls and get in line and do what they tell us then they got you, I for one like to question what I'm told to do and if I don't think it's right I'm going fight. I'm a bit older than you 54, and I remember having alot more freedoms then we do now
and being one of the sheep isn't me.
Like I said I believe what i do and you believe what you do isn't great that we can still have that right.

vanillagurilla
06-28-2011, 10:47 AM
any lake that gets its water either directly, or from a lake that gets ITS water from the aquaduct or river has the muscles.

SDDave
06-28-2011, 10:53 AM
any lake that gets its water either directly, or from a lake that gets ITS water from the aquaduct or river has the muscles. And where did they get the water to fill DVL ?

TheAsianGuy
06-28-2011, 11:00 AM
the aquaduct or river has the muscles.

:ROFL: man..I caught it after a good 15 secs of pausing..You crack me up!!!

TheAsianGuy
06-28-2011, 11:01 AM
And where did they get the water to fill DVL ?

Colorado aqueduct fed through the San Jacinto area, which dumped into Lake Perris, run along the Warren Rd, then runs into DVL..Did some major recon for fishes along the shallow aqueduct earlier.

seal
06-28-2011, 11:09 AM
I like Pete's judgement and his approach but at the same time the idea that Mead was found to be mussel postitive in 2007 and water stopped coming into DVL from the Colorado in 2006 makes me think it is highly probable that mussels are in DVL, they didn't discover the 1st mussel ever introduced into Mead in 2007, they probably had been in there for years but the colony's were not well established yet.

All of this is just conjecture though at this point, I think most would agree that eventually they will find a way into our reservoirs, again the main focus should be how to get rid of um or at least control them enough to not damage the lakes infrastructure. Our disagreements on who has them and who doesn't means very little at this point, the inspections are going to remain and when/if they are found at DVL or other lakes then what will be the next step?

Pete Marino
06-28-2011, 11:29 AM
Well said Seal!! I do think its inevitable but until its confirmed all we can do is make sure we as boaters take the precautions... Its funny though because us anglers know about the problem and affects of Quaagas and most all of us do our best to be clean and dry... I think most of the recreational boaters dont know about the problem and/or dont care. They are more likely to infect lakes then us..
DVL was refilled with water from the delta this last time they brought the water up...as far as I know.

If the quagga are in the pipes already then time will tell and they will spread...until then we just have to hope that they arent and continue to tajke precautions (clean and dry)...But I think they need to prepare for what to do if and when they are discovered..

Pete

SDDave
06-28-2011, 12:02 PM
http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr349/sddave50/b47117bb.jpg

nelayan
06-28-2011, 12:05 PM
In 1994, invasive species biologist Anthony Ricciardi determined that yellow perch did not find the invasive dreissenid species palatable. In 2004, he determined that yellow perch, over the intervening 10 years, had developed an appetite for the Quagga mussel. While sounding like good news, it is tempered with the knowledge that it introduces contaminants into the food chain, notably Clostridium botulinum.[7]
Redear sunfish, a specialized mollusc-eating fish, are now being stocked in the Colorado River drainage as a defense against the quaggas.[8] As with the yellow perch, this predator-prey relationship could cause toxins and microorganisms to move up the food chain.
Although quaggas are edible for humans, eating them is not recommended due to the accumulation of toxins, pollutants, and microorganisms within the mussels' bodies.

Source : wikipedia
keyword : quagga mussel

Surfnsnowboard3
06-28-2011, 12:07 PM
http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr349/sddave50/b47117bb.jpg

Pete.....haven't you learned by now that you cannot argue with a liberal conspiracy theorist?

SDDave
06-28-2011, 12:27 PM
Pete.....haven't you learned by now that you cannot argue with a liberal conspiracy theorist?

So are you in the front of the line or the rear?

dockboy
06-28-2011, 12:33 PM
Sorry, but its inevitable. The quagga spread throughout the Great Lakes via the canals connecting commerce routes. The Aqueduct is a 600 mile long highway for them to travel up. If fish can survive the Duct, so can these mussels. We have no idea how these mussels will truly affect SoCal waters. The difference between the Great Lakes and the Colorado River Lakes is very large, and the difference in size/water quality in the local waters and the Colorado Chain is big also.
Clean 'N Dry is a good effort, but the adult mussels arent the problem. Its the veligers, and try as we may at finding every spot of potentially infected water on every boat entering a lake, eventually chances are something will slip and the infection process begins all over again. If we get lucky, researchers find a solution to killing or slowing the mussels. If we don't, California pays millions to clean pipes and dams year round, if they don't shut down our waters to boating ASAP. In places like San Jose, the water boards have already shut down most of their lakes to boating. Lets just hope our local officials have a little more sense than that come the crisis time.

Surfnsnowboard3
06-28-2011, 12:50 PM
So are you in the front of the line or the rear?

First off, for an FNN Sponsor and Guide Service who's source of income is primarily based on customer service, you FAIL. It's no wonder Pete Marino is well known as a great guide and as for you....well I'll just leave it with you're not too popular.

Secondly, I learned long ago not to argue with a liberal conspiracy theorist...after all, you guys are ALWAYS right and cannot be reasoned with.

DarkShadow
06-28-2011, 01:16 PM
Well lets turn it around Pete, prove that there not in the lake already, just because you read on the Internet that they ain't makes it so?

Hey SDDave.

Ever heard the term

'semper necessitas probandi incumbit ei qui agit.'?

In essence, I can't go around calling the sky red, and then have everyone who does not agree prove that it isn't. It's YOUR responsibility to offer proof, and although you used Kramer's article as proof, apparently you missed my earlier post.

And I'm curious on why Kramer never responded to Sr DFG Biologist Mike Guisti, who basically called his "MWD source," and article, completely bunk. Usually someone who is so sure about their sources would retort back, but apparently he may have realized he was taken for a ride.

So, because apparently people are STILL arguing regarding the existence of Quaggas at DVL, let me repost what Guisti said regarding Kramer's article.

Once again a reporter has been given wrong information. I have checked with MWD and their dive folks and they have NOT SEEN ANY quagga mussels in Diamond Valley. If they were to find them there are laws that require they notify Fish and Game and a bunch of other folk immediately. At this time there has not been any water from the Colorado River put into Diamond Valley since 2006 and the mussels were first found in Lake Mead in January 2007. All the water coming into DVL right now is from the CA. aqueduct. There are mussels in the San Diego Canal which is in front of DVL and in the forebay which is fed by the canal as well as the pumping plant that is used for power generation. The water coming into DVL now does NOT go through the pumping plant. Hopefully with the tough inspections we can keep the mussels out of the lake. If they are found before they bring river water into the lake you can bet the boaters will be blamed. Once they bring water from the Colorado River back into DVL it will likely become infected even with chlorination treatments. Hopefully this will put this issue to rest but it probably won't.

You can say that again, Mr. Guisti.

SDDave
06-28-2011, 01:26 PM
Well your the one throwing out labels on me, you feel pretty free to do that with no thought, what's next, now that you've said your mind, a numbered tattoo on my arm so I can be grouped and know that I'm a liberal?
Lol

keepemlo
06-28-2011, 01:46 PM
Thank you guys for elaborating on this subject ,it's not something we all think about it's always their problem,
Now we all have to deal with it..an old Chinese saying goes"once an era passes it will never come back"you can hope all you want but we will never have" the good old days"back again..yeah we used to not have to lock our doors,as a kid in Chicago ,I would hop trains to other states ,as long as I was back in front of the house when the street lights come on..I don't think it matters where the quaggas are. What matters is we all have to comply..with hopes that it will have a positive effect on our fishery..just like letting your pb go.you start to feel good you did the right thing!

Surfnsnowboard3
06-28-2011, 01:50 PM
Well your the one throwing out labels on me, you feel pretty free to do that with no thought, what's next, now that you've said your mind, a numbered tattoo on my arm so I can be grouped and know that I'm a liberal?
Lol

OMG bro, you are a quack. I can't imagine being on the water with you.

SDDave
06-28-2011, 01:58 PM
Good to see who has your back...

laserbrn
06-28-2011, 02:11 PM
I don't see the argument for not having inspections. What is it Dave? If it's not Quagga Mussels today, it'll be another thing tomorrow. Dry your f*in boats and quit whining. What does it cost you to keep your boat dry or to stop bouncing from lake to lake spreading whatever the infection of the day is?

The point is that we know that invasive species can be moved from one lake to another by irresponsible boaters not cleaning their boats properly. It's not that the quagga mussel isn't in Castaic and Pyramid already. I believe it is. I don't think it's because it's connected to the aqueduct, but because Joe Boater has been allowed for years to go back and forth to Havasu, or Mead, or any damn lake that they want, not clean their boat, and spread the problems back home. The lack on inspections burned us today and it'll burn us down the road if we don't do it. In the future, these things won't have to be a problem.

Whatever the flavor of the day is, it's best practice to clean your boat.

If you don't believe in this pratice and you can't understand this simple concept and promote it, you shouldn't be a guide and you aren't doing anyone a long term service.

So what is your contention with properly cleaning and drying your boat?

Agro
06-28-2011, 02:15 PM
Maybe they could team up and come up with some cable system that allows boats to go on other nearby lakes that are not infected yet without inspection, such as Casitas, Piru, Pyramid, Cachuma, ect...

SDDave
06-28-2011, 02:27 PM
I don't see the argument for not having inspections. What is it Dave? If it's not Quagga Mussels today, it'll be another thing tomorrow. Dry your f*in boats and quit whining. What does it cost you to keep your boat dry or to stop bouncing from lake to lake spreading whatever the infection of the day is?

The point is that we know that invasive species can be moved from one lake to another by irresponsible boaters not cleaning their boats properly. It's not that the quagga mussel isn't in Castaic and Pyramid already. I believe it is. I don't think it's because it's connected to the aqueduct, but because Joe Boater has been allowed for years to go back and forth to Havasu, or Mead, or any damn lake that they want, not clean their boat, and spread the problems back home. The lack on inspections burned us today and it'll burn us down the road if we don't do it. In the future, these things won't have to be a problem.

Whatever the flavor of the day is, it's best practice to clean your boat.

If you don't believe in this pratice and you can't understand this simple concept and promote it, you shouldn't be a guide and you aren't doing anyone a long term service.

So what is your contention with properly cleaning and drying your boat?
How do you even know to make a statement like that Laser, I use my boat on a daily basis and it's cleaned dried and a towel tossed in the livewell if I'm going to a differnt lake from the one I've been on, so don't tell me what that I don't, when you own your boat for more than 2 month like you have, then you can start telling others how to maintain theres....
Oh I forgot you do run a guide service.... 30 for fuel and hop on the Laser boat

fish-o-haulic
06-28-2011, 05:49 PM
Inspections are necessary, All i have to say is if its a permanent solution, then we either have some incompitent people in charge, or we should look out because its apart of a bigger plan. I do think that if there still doing these inspections in like 5 or 10 years and you dont here much more info on this mussel problem that what we have now, then we should be cautious. I do respect peoples opinions of the inspections. Some people think they should never be and others think otherwise. I say let them go on and inspect now, but im going to be keeping an eye on this quagga problem. I know compared to the other responses this was a rather unitelligent post on the matter. But its just something I wanted to say.

keepemlo
06-28-2011, 06:39 PM
Good enough got your point .I've never had my old bass boat inspected trust me it's dry haven't had the time
After repairs to go,matter of fact I've owned it for three years,I had out maybe 10 times not in the last year .is it really a hassle to get inspected? What's the process how long does it take?

laserbrn
06-29-2011, 06:45 AM
I never stated that you didn't clean your boats specifically SDDave. You are one of thousands of boaters. Do you believe that they all clean their boats properly? Seems that historically there is evidence to suggest that they don't.

I stand by my statement that if you don't believe in the practice of inspections and promote fighting the spread of invasive Quagga Mussels that are doing the community a disservice as a guide. You should be promoting prevention, inspections and educating your customers, not convincing them (and the members of this forum) that it's a mere consipiracy to spend tax dollars.

You haven't answered the question here Mr. Conspiracy Theory, what is the argument against inspections? Why are you standing alone on an island believing that inspections of boats at lakes is a BAD thing? There's no logic here or none that has been properly expressed.

Invasive species (Quagga and others) have historically moved from lake to lake and the most damaging of their movements have been through boats. I guess I'm just restating my argument so that instead of personally attacking me SDDave, you can get to the bones of it and answer, what is your argument against inspecting boats and doing what we can do prevent invasive species and non-indigenous species from being introduced?

Where's the big consipiracy? What is this really about then?

You guys crack me up...black helicopter crowd.

I was considering hiring you as a guide, but I don't think I could stand 8 hours on the water with a lunatic. I don't see how this thread could have helped your business.

So to sum this up because I know you are not going to address the questions and you'll just throw another attack and divert....

What is this really about?

What is the argument AGAINST having inspections at lakes that help prevent the introduction of invasive species?

I've seen this statement from you...

"To allow people to be on there honor to keep there boats out of Castaic if they have been in waters that are known to have mussels, and that is pretty much anybody of water east if us, anyone that comes from DLV, skinner, silverwood, Perris, vail, or any of the SD lakes is knowingly bringing mussels into Castaic.
So now everyone is going to be checked by people who should stay with there jobs as greeters at Walmart!"

So because the system wasn't good in the past, we shouldn't fix it?

You've also made the argument that the Mussels do exist in DVL. Doesn't explain why we shouldn't have inspections @ the lakes to ensure that boaters have properly cleaned and dried their boats before entering the water.

I guess it annoys me that there are people out there who want to do something about this problem and there's people like this standing around doing nothing and contributing to the problem by minimalizing it and acting as if the inconvenience to them is unacceptable. Yet have no argument, no scientific basis for the information, no facts, just whining and telling people that it's unnecessary and it's really part of a conspiracy.

SDDave
06-29-2011, 09:17 AM
Your a idiot lazerbeam, come look up at the lake and I'll be more than happy to talk with you.

DarkShadow
06-29-2011, 09:38 AM
You haven't answered the question here Mr. Conspiracy Theory, what is the argument against inspections? Why are you standing alone on an island believing that inspections of boats at lakes is a BAD thing? There's no logic here or none that has been properly expressed.

Your a idiot lazerbeam.

So you're against inspections because lazerbeam is an idiot?

I am highly confused.

Cangler
06-29-2011, 10:05 AM
So you're against inspections because lazerbeam is an idiot?

I am highly confused.

Oh man , don't question our beloved sponsors ..

laserbrn
06-29-2011, 11:42 AM
Just to be sure I've got this right, you don't have a real response, just an insult (as expected) and then you tell me to come find you at the lake? What a joker. If you see me at the lake do us both a favor and just stay the hell away from me.

TheAsianGuy
06-29-2011, 11:52 AM
In all seriousness guys, do what's right. If one wants to cut corner, eventually, the karma will come back and bite one in the rear, and more so. In the meanwhile, the person will just screw it up for everyone else's. Thus..the karma. Do what's right, even if it's a pain and costly, bitching along the way, but your conscience is clear. It's best not to flame each other any more, and let shake hands, then call it truce. If you like to have a sparring match to get all the angers out, count me in. Need sparring partners. Haven't been seriously bleeding in a while :LOL:

pyramidrose
06-29-2011, 01:32 PM
Sorry to jump in here..... But inspections are a definite.............. Read the rules, learn the procedures and enjoy FISHING!! At Pyramid Lake we're doing our best to be prepared. On site storage, a 1/3 mile pull -off inspection for unbanded boats.

Lady Quagga
06-29-2011, 02:02 PM
Sorry to jump in here..... But inspections are a definite.............. Read the rules, learn the procedures and enjoy FISHING!! At Pyramid Lake we're doing our best to be prepared. On site storage, a 1/3 mile pull -off inspection for unbanded boats.

Wait a minute - you mean to tell me that purchasing this $50,000 boat didn't entitle me to drop it into any body of water west of the Mississippi, in any way, shape, or form I see fit?

This has got to be a CONSPIRACY! Someone call Leonard Nimoy!

http://img815.imageshack.us/img815/5845/insearch.jpg

fish-o-haulic
06-29-2011, 02:04 PM
I dont think the bashing of each other here is needed. Dave has his opinion and you guys have yours. Im not siding with anyone but i think arguing with each other is usless. Its not your oponions that are gonna change anything here.

Lady Quagga
06-29-2011, 02:22 PM
I dont think the bashing of each other here is needed. Dave has his opinion and you guys have yours. Im not siding with anyone but i think arguing with each other is usless. Its not your oponions that are gonna change anything here.

Hyperbole? Sure!

Unsupported statements? Absolutely!

Unfounded accusations? You betcha!

But bashing? Oh good heavens no!

Six more pages, please!

eggot
06-29-2011, 04:41 PM
No real bashing yet, just Dave calling people names cuz he's stumped when people ask him for logical explanations.

I got laser's back on this one, he's a good dude who knows his stuff, regardless if he has a title of a "guide". Keep waving that guide and sponsor title around Dave, it's not helping your cause, but hey....if it helps you sleep at night.....

keepemlo
06-29-2011, 06:02 PM
So you heard too pyramid cool ,,oh well guys it is what it is ..just gotta get in shape that's a he'll of a kick to get to the other side..any floatubes at pyramid

pyramidrose
06-29-2011, 06:10 PM
Wait a minute - you mean to tell me that purchasing this $50,000 boat didn't entitle me to drop it into any body of water west of the Mississippi, in any way, shape, or form I see fit?

http://img815.imageshack.us/img815/5845/insearch.jpg

You seem to know some of our customers!!!:LOL::LOL::LOL:

seal
06-29-2011, 08:07 PM
Seems like an unfair fight at this point. The sheep have the lead. Bahhhhh!

TheAsianGuy
06-29-2011, 09:41 PM
Just to let you know, working with aquatic specialists and DFG personnel that studied the issues on how to resolved the quagga's dilemma, they discovered a few species of fishes in the U.S. actually eat the quagga's enough to sustain an overburden population in the water. However, there's no way in hell to eliminate them just yet, especially the damages that they do. Carp, cats, panfishes, these guys actually eat the mussels up when available. So, for the water bodies that are actively housed these mussels, encourage the local authorities to stock more of these fishes to consume and control the mussels until a solid solution can be found. Otherwise, it's best to educate each other nicely without pounding each other head into the pavement. Just provide validated facts that can be confirmed and stop with the bashing. Facts will play, where insinuations will just be tossed out there door.

fish-o-haulic
06-30-2011, 07:19 PM
Just to let you know, working with aquatic specialists and DFG personnel that studied the issues on how to resolved the quagga's dilemma, they discovered a few species of fishes in the U.S. actually eat the quagga's enough to sustain an overburden population in the water. However, there's no way in hell to eliminate them just yet, especially the damages that they do. Carp, cats, panfishes, these guys actually eat the mussels up when available. So, for the water bodies that are actively housed these mussels, encourage the local authorities to stock more of these fishes to consume and control the mussels until a solid solution can be found. Otherwise, it's best to educate each other nicely without pounding each other head into the pavement. Just provide validated facts that can be confirmed and stop with the bashing. Facts will play, where insinuations will just be tossed out there door.

So it sounds like the little boogers should be allowed to be used as bait if and I say if you can get 'em.

TheAsianGuy
06-30-2011, 09:27 PM
So it sounds like the little boogers should be allowed to be used as bait if and I say if you can get 'em.

If you can manage to recover some of those, crack them up, and use them as live baits.

Roskov
06-30-2011, 09:55 PM
Just read through this thread. Never though it could be so interesting. I'm all for conspiracies, but that was silly. My only question: Are the mussels in on it?

smokehound
06-30-2011, 10:19 PM
Hyperbole? Sure!

Unsupported statements? Absolutely!

Unfounded accusations? You betcha!

But bashing? Oh good heavens no!

Six more pages, please!hahaha! That was great. If you made that comment on youtube, you would have made, like.. 9 thumbs up. :LOL:

fish-o-haulic
06-30-2011, 11:10 PM
hahaha! That was great. If you made that comment on youtube, you would have made, like.. 9 thumbs up. :LOL:

or been marked as spam

Fire Ball
07-01-2011, 03:13 PM
I heard about this, but I didn't hear that I won't be able to launch my tube from the West side? Really?? If that is true, it is completely ridiculous. Also what about boats that ONLY go in Castiac? We will still need to be inspected EVERY time?

laserbrn
07-01-2011, 04:29 PM
I'm not sure on the tubing thing. I agree that would be a ridiculous effect of these inspections. What does where you launch have to do with your inspection status?

Once you have been inspected @ Castaic you will not need to be inspected again if you do not go another lake. They will issue a band for your boat that signals that it has been inspected and not launched since.

yolo
07-01-2011, 04:50 PM
The CA Aqueduct does not yet have the mussels. When it was drained twice down to 3' in most of the AV in the winter, there was not a single quagga to be seen and I looked for them at all the sensor pipes, turn outs and grates. The Colorado River Aqueduct is the one that has them and spread it to some SoCal lakes that are fed by it. Pyramid and Castaic are fed by the CA Aqueduct. If they are in there it is from boats. If they are not yet in there then it will most likely happen from boats so the inspection is warranted and shouldn't be such a big deal.

I know what they look like from seeing them at Lake Mohave on my buddies houseboat years ago when he pulled it out for maintenance. I have seen them on the Colorado River. I have not seen them at the CA Aqueduct, yet. Given the amount of time I spend there I will definitely be able to spot them. I bet they would be attached to every grate that there is along the duct. If it gets in there, I think it will be from lakes up stream from it in NorCal. They can't go upstream back into the duct from Castaic or Pyramid.

seal
07-01-2011, 08:41 PM
I got a mussel question. Whenever Silverwood is drawn down I see a gazillion (big number) mussels drying up. Now why are those mussels (not Quagga's) not as damaging to the infrastructure of the reservoir as Quagga's?

My curiosity is killing me.

laserbrn
07-01-2011, 10:04 PM
Because the indigenous mussels have natural predators and aren't as prolific as Quagga's. In Europe it is the other way around. The Quagga and Zebra Mussels are no big deal. They are eaten and are of no real concern. Here they don't get eaten, become prolific and clean the lake of it's food and nutrients. Basically consuming a very large percentage of the biomass available in the lake.

Guy with bent rod 818
07-03-2011, 06:44 AM
there may be a sort of "Manifest Destiny" for the quagga. it may be just a matter of time.

smokehound
07-06-2011, 09:35 AM
Genetically modified Male Quagga mussels. Tinker with their genes, so their sperm is damaged, but allow the damaged sperm to still impregnate females. This way, they have messed-up babies that either die soon after hatching, or grow up to be sterile. Because of the sheer amount of semen they release during spawning, (ew) this could be the BEST control method of all.

keepemlo
07-12-2011, 10:15 AM
I think you have to be careful with genetically altered life forms as their effect on the enviorment is not tested or proven..these inspections so far ,seem to be our only recourse ..crude and primitive as it may sound I guess it must be effective..yolo seems to have an inside view on the situation all we can do is coply and wait and see

smokehound
07-12-2011, 01:30 PM
I think you have to be careful with genetically altered life forms as their effect on the enviorment is not tested or proven..these inspections so far ,seem to be our only recourse ..crude and primitive as it may sound I guess it must be effective..yolo seems to have an inside view on the situation all we can do is coply and wait and see
. I like how your idea is sheer laziness.

pyramidrose
07-12-2011, 02:45 PM
I heard about this, but I didn't hear that I won't be able to launch my tube from the West side? Really?? If that is true, it is completely ridiculous. Also what about boats that ONLY go in Castiac? We will still need to be inspected EVERY time?

Inspection should involve "bag- banding" Float tubes and waders. These were the questions we raised. If you float on an exchange lake " Honored Band" no need for entry inspectio0n.

Cangler
07-12-2011, 03:12 PM
An invasive species , threatening a man made lake , containing stocked non native fish ... Hmmmmm

TheAsianGuy
07-12-2011, 03:19 PM
An invasive species , threatening a man made lake , containing stocked non native fish ... Hmmmmm

Think about this for a moment, spiders, bugs, invasive plants, exotic animals, not native to the continent, yet, thrive without predation. Whether they're in the air, in the ground, in the water, in your hair, or in your body, we have to approach the situations offensively and defensively, rather than tactfully. Letting small issue go little by little, the issues will escalate into something enormous in no time flat.