PDA

View Full Version : Skinner, 6/23 P.U.!

P.A.W.
06-23-2011, 06:33 PM
I was totally Jonesing after having my boat in the shop for 3 weeks. Took the day off, ran to Tracker Marine in Rancho Cucamonga to pick up the boat with a new trolling motor. Got to Skinner around 12:30- 1:00. I heard they Bluestoned, but man the place is still a salad bowl. Lots of stinky moss on the shore and the east end was hardly fishable.

Did manage to score some LMB on a perch color crankbait thinkig they might be chasing small bluegills. Really spent most of the time testing out the I-pilot feature on the Minnkota. Man this is the shiznit!! It was windy enough for whitecaps and I pulled up next to the bouy at the mouth of the main channel faced into the wind and hit "spotlock". Held me right there for a good half hour. No anchor!

Anyway, succesful trial run on the new motor and picked up a few LMB. I'll be back on Friday for an early striper bite:). See you there!

JAG107
06-23-2011, 08:10 PM
Nice going! I didn't know the trolling motors could do that now, sounds like it'll take the fun out of keeping your boat in a spot on a windy day AND try to fish...
I wanna hear about some good striper topwater action, it's time for them to blow up already!

P.A.W.
06-23-2011, 08:20 PM
Yah, Mr. Stripey has tempted us, and fooled us a few times this year. I'm ready too. These new GPS driven trollers are cool. They can doo all kinds of things. Troll along your favorite route and then hit "repeat". Hands free trolling. You can record 3 favorite spots and then return to any of them just by hitting A,B, or C and sit back for a snack while the boat justs takes you back there.

skunked again
06-23-2011, 08:56 PM
It's a great machine. Support is very good also. I had a hand control go bad, no questions asked and sent me a new hand control. Then had problems with the GPS after a year and shipped new GPS unit, no questions asked.
Add Lowrance HDS and you are invinsible.

Big-Bob
06-23-2011, 09:09 PM
My cousin went today and also said the place was still loaded with moss. He said he was able to pull some nice LMB throwing a topwater Bill Dance Spittin Image. He also mentioned that they were out of night crawlers so if your planning on going and want night crawlers make sure you get them before you go to the lake.

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k610/RJosephPowell/0623110843.jpg

P.A.W.
06-23-2011, 09:13 PM
It's a great machine. Support is very good also. I had a hand control go bad, no questions asked and sent me a new hand control. Then had problems with the GPS after a year and shipped new GPS unit, no questions asked.
Add Lowrance HDS and you are invinsible.

Oooooh Yah, the HDS is next on my list. Hate to have that universal sonar built in and not put it to use....

skunked again
06-24-2011, 06:07 AM
There are some concerns about the unit though. Although the trolling motor is rock solid. The i-pilot hand control only lasted a year. I use it about once a week. When I received the new one under warranty I had to reinforce the plastic button grid with epoxy to keep the button pins from future bending and breaking. The hard-wired metal button cover on the circuit board also gave way to one of the frequently pressed buttons(left). Once it goes bad you HAVE to replace the board or hand control., The GPS unit that mounts to the head of the trolling motor went out in 18 months. Hopefully they are making newer reliable versions. My motor is 3.5 years old. I am expecting for it to crap out any time from use but it hasnt yet. That's even with running in saltwater for a year!

Fishbrains
06-24-2011, 09:59 AM
Thanks for report..Ill be there camping tonight and b out early morn for some topwater action, Ill be in the big old cuddy cabin bayliner

P.A.W.
06-24-2011, 01:44 PM
Fishbrains: WARNING!!! I was told today (Friday) that there is an all species fishing derby on Saturday that is expecting up to 200 boats :OMG!:

Skunked, Don't know about the controller, but I think they reworked some other things. There used to be an issue with the motor deploying while under way. With the current design I can't see how it is possible. I guess I'd bettrer fill out the warranty card ASAP!!

Fishbrains
06-24-2011, 05:50 PM
Yea Im in the derby..Its an Autism fundraiser..Wow 200 boats! Thats kinda weak..oh well Im fishing sunday too

Fishbrains: WARNING!!! I was told today (Friday) that there is an all species fishing derby on Saturday that is expecting up to 200 boats :OMG!:

Skunked, Don't know about the controller, but I think they reworked some other things. There used to be an issue with the motor deploying while under way. With the current design I can't see how it is possible. I guess I'd bettrer fill out the warranty card ASAP!!

P.A.W.
06-24-2011, 06:45 PM
Well then I'll see you Sunday.