PDA

View Full Version : Jim Matthews' Fishing Reports: Your Report Card

DesertJim
06-23-2011, 02:11 PM
Guys,

I wanted to post a note and ask you how you think we're doing these days on our reports and give you some updated information:

First, I'm back to doing them all without the good help I used to have. So I'm the only one to blame these days.

Second, only partial reports are up on our website (www.OutdoorNewsService.com), but complete reports are still posted at www.976-fresh.com and at this direct link at the new FishHound site: http://www.fishhound.com/pro/directory/user/16022 each week. Usually on Thursday afternoons.

Again, your feedback is always appreciated. I always welcome your calls and e-mails.

Here's all my contact information:

Jim Matthews
909-887-3444 office
909-887-8180 fax
odwriter@verizon.net
odwriter@aol.com

I also have an Outdoor News Service FACEBOOK account and a personal one.

Please remember that we have over 100 different waters/areas we cover each week. Many are very sketchy, I know that. (I don't have a source for ANY of the waters in the Palmdale-Lancaster area, so they're simply not even included. Any suggestions?) But it still takes me three work days to compile all this information. I try to make the report include the information I'd want to know if I were going to each water the coming weekend.

So how am I doing?

Thanks,
Jim Matthews

seal
06-23-2011, 07:54 PM
Thank you for your column Jim! I look forward to Thursday's and Sunday's newspaper column up here in Hesperia. I've been a critique before but understand the challenges, you provide a great service and I appreciate it.

Fish Silverwood most every day and as the summer progresses I'll try and give you some updates.

Karyn
06-23-2011, 08:01 PM
Two thumbs up! I look forward to reading your report and it helps me to plan accordingly. Thanks for the info!

TheAsianGuy
06-23-2011, 11:32 PM
Quite a few net resources depended on your columns, including the local City's, County's and municipal agencies that rely on your columns to enhance the visitors' attendance for their parks. We'll keep feeding you info for you to compile. Nothing like good reading about angling for the California waters. Keep up the great work.

teejay
06-24-2011, 11:02 AM
Jim, as you qualify in your report, “its accuracy depends on marina operators, tackle shops and local fishermen we contact”. Unfortunately, some operators are less than honest in their appraisals (like the pay to fish lake just down the road from me) Not your fault of course, you do the best job with the info your given. Personally, although I read your column and report religiously, I just don’t rely much on reports anymore; I just go out, fish and enjoy the day
However, I really liked the story that you recently did on the former Slide Lake in the SBNF, and would enjoy similar stories about how fishing was in the local mountains back in the old days. By the way, I still have a clipping from the Sun Telegram of an article you did about Bear Creek back in 1985. I've also retained several of your articles from Outdoor Life from the same time period.
Thanks much.