PDA

View Full Version : Swat kayak monster yellow

ToadsToadsOnly
06-23-2011, 12:49 PM
First off I have to thank you Tagyak and others on a kayak fishing board for tips which definitely speeded up my learning curve since I am a newbie to the exotics off a yak. I picked up another yak so I didn’t know which one to bring Ocean Kayak Prowler or my Malibu Stealth I decided to go stealth because the prowler did not have the electronics hooked up yet.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg264/toadstoadsonly/IMAG0390.jpg

I headed out Tuesday night with two of my buddies at 10:30 pm with a plan to get out there early knock out in the car for a couple hours and launch at 3am. The sleeping part did not go very well tossing and turning antsy to get on the water I ended up getting about 30min of shut eye. At 3am we set up and paddle out to the grounds to meet a fleet of boats and a few kayakers by 6:30 there had to be 40 vessels on the water. None of us seen any action amongst the fleet about 7am my clicker starts screaming zzzzzzZZZZZZZ…….. HOOKUP>>>>>>>! All I could think is please don’t be a batray please no batray…. The fish darts right and haul *** towards my buddies kayak I yell “watch out the fish is under you felix”, then it makes a directional change and darts left, then right man this fish was all over the place, he then swims towards me, and freight trains me straight down trying to dog me on the bottom maybe he saw kelp. I just let him do his thing for a little and I say heck I am using a kelp cutter rig time to put the wood to this bad boy I short pump hard and get the fish to color No Batray…… really it wasn’t a ray was the yellow kind I pull out my gaff stuck the fish in the brain, fish went stiff, game clip GAME OVER… I went to get my hook out I touched the hook with my index finger and the hook popped out the mouth was not even punctured the only thing holing my hook in was the constant pressure. My first LJ exotic and to boot everyone was telling me this was the only fish landed in the whole fleet it was an extremely slow day out on the water. We stick it out till about 1pm to see if my buddies could tie into one of the exotics but no avail for us or anyone else that stayed late.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg264/toadstoadsonly/IMAG0392.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg264/toadstoadsonly/IMAG0393.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg264/toadstoadsonly/IMAG0394-1.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg264/toadstoadsonly/june2011.jpg

Once again research is king if it was not for doing my homework reading forums asking for help I don’t think I would have caught this fish.

Don’t be scared to ask questions guys I find PM’s are better than to ask them on a post. I send PM’s and as for help and advice all the time.

Till next time

ToadsToadsOnly

Go Big Or Go Home Swat Style

Add My Group On Facebook

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_114189495339212

"Hunt for big fish (ToadsToadsOnly)"

midgettosser1
06-23-2011, 12:57 PM
That's awesome. Great catch.
One of these days I need to drag my kayak down south.
To catch a yellow like that off the yak would be a dream come true for me.
Way to put in the effort prior to the trip.
I always do that everytime I am exploring new group. Usually pays off.

CastMan
06-23-2011, 01:43 PM
Awesome yellow bro! Great job!!! Um one thing I thought of though was the last pic you posted. Let's see now, a fish bleeding into the water and your leg hanging over! Um, have you ever seen jaws bro? lol

Frequent Flyer
06-23-2011, 01:53 PM
haha jaws. good job it never hurts to do ur homework

chris
06-23-2011, 02:09 PM
nice one. thats cool from the yak

E.A.R.G.
06-23-2011, 02:36 PM
sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet homeguard!
that things huge! Did you get a weight?

Wingnut
06-23-2011, 02:40 PM
Outstanding job Jonathan! :Applause:
I was just getting out of the surf yesterday when I saw your picture text. Brought a big smile to my face. :Big Grin: Well deserved bro. :Cool:
We're way overdue for another S.W.A.T. kayak mission. :Wink:

candyman
06-23-2011, 02:59 PM
man that is a beast! That homeguard yellow from LJ must have been a blast to catch on a yak! I just recently purchased a kayak as well and im dying to hit the the salt with it!!!

Re8elmonk0341
06-23-2011, 04:02 PM
WTG on the nice fish dude. Did it tow you pretty good? I miss my yak!!!
I've PMed people for "advice" but never get a response so I just give up "askin' for help". But good on ya, maybe you're a more likable person then I am. Haha

FISHINGVATO562
06-23-2011, 04:16 PM
WOW!! Congrats on the hookup. The way you did everything, La Jolla, Yellow, Kayak, is the main reason I got a kayak. I definitely need to get down there soon! You just gave me more of a push.

iLLest
06-23-2011, 04:43 PM
very nice catch bro
off the yak too!
awesome indeed, I need to try that one day.
Toads only! hahaha

Zodiac
06-23-2011, 04:58 PM
Way to go with that Yellow, La Jolla is a place i want to really fish on my Yak. As another member said thats why i bought a Kayak! Great post.

Which Way Out
06-23-2011, 05:15 PM
Way to go Jonathan.. That's a great yellow anywhere. I can't even begin to think what the ride was like :Shocked: with him being so big.

Good job and great report. Glad someone was there to capture it in photos on the water.
Gotta love the way those babies bleed.

Darius
06-23-2011, 05:52 PM
Nice boat and fish!

Badbeat
06-23-2011, 06:17 PM
Geezzzzz!!! One helluva Yellow buddy. :EyePop:
SWAT kickass on land and sea. :Twisted:

Liteweight
06-23-2011, 07:55 PM
Yep, that's one heck of a fish.
LW

Karyn
06-23-2011, 08:08 PM
WOW! that is one big fish! Very cool!!

murrieta angler
06-23-2011, 09:29 PM
Jonathan,
Nice YT Bro!!!
I love the blood shot, gives me goose pimples!
I really need to try the yak thing.
Next time you head out let me know, my buddy said I could borrow his.
Nice report & nice pics,
Robert
<><

sidified
06-24-2011, 01:02 AM
I have to ditto all the compliments you've been receiving, pal...Every aspect of your experience was really just extraordinary!...And Arthur is right...it is high time for SWAT to get yaking....
Sid

ToadsToadsOnly
06-24-2011, 02:30 AM
Awesome yellow bro! Great job!!! Um one thing I thought of though was the last pic you posted. Let's see now, a fish bleeding into the water and your leg hanging over! Um, have you ever seen jaws bro? lol

After I cut the yellows gill and the blood started gushing I was thinking the same. But if I saw jaws I might of had to nose hook my yellow and bait up the shark HOOKUP>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet homeguard!
that things huge! Did you get a weight?
The fish had a 40lbers body and length but a bit skinny it was 31lbs

Outstanding job Jonathan! :Applause:
I was just getting out of the surf yesterday when I saw your picture text. Brought a big smile to my face. :Big Grin: Well deserved bro. :Cool:
We're way overdue for another S.W.A.T. kayak mission. :Wink:
Yea we do need to do another SWAT mission Arthur but next time I am going to drag you out on a yak again. I am on kayak mode now and Threshers are on my target list.

WTG on the nice fish dude. Did it tow you pretty good? I miss my yak!!!
I've PMed people for "advice" but never get a response so I just give up "askin' for help". But good on ya, maybe you're a more likable person then I am. Haha

The yellowtail did tow me around for a bit but I put the wood to the fish and landed it in a little over 5 min. Hey that happens to me sometimes also bro thats why I go with the numbers game if I message 5 people at least one of them has to get back at me.

Jonathan,
Nice YT Bro!!!
I love the blood shot, gives me goose pimples!
I really need to try the yak thing.
Next time you head out let me know, my buddy said I could borrow his.
Nice report & nice pics,
Robert
<><

Sounds good Robert maybe we could do a SWAT kayak mission that would be pretty sick. Ill let you know maybe within the next couple weeks.

I have to ditto all the compliments you've been receiving, pal...Every aspect of your experience was really just extraordinary!...And Arthur is right...it is high time for SWAT to get yaking....
Sid

Thanks it was a memorable even for me I almost was thinking I should of ate the heart since it was my first yellow off a yak. And stay tuned for the S.W.A.T Yak attack coming reporti

DockRat
06-24-2011, 06:05 AM
XLNT Job. Kayak YT, 31 Pounds, Yeah buddy ! :UDaMan:
DR

blackwater
06-24-2011, 10:32 AM
Ohhhhhh yeahhhhhh!!!!! Nice job Jonathan on handling that beast. :Applause:
SWAT is tearing it up out there. :Big Grin:

TroutOnly
06-24-2011, 10:45 AM
I LOVE THE BLOOD SHOT,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

BabyKiller
06-24-2011, 10:56 AM
Nice job Jon!!!

fishindude420
06-24-2011, 12:32 PM
Awesome job man. Sticking a big yellow in a kayak must be a rush and a half!

Ulua1
06-24-2011, 12:53 PM
Man Nice Yellow! Congrats!

klocked
06-25-2011, 08:53 AM
That's insane Jonathan!!
Went for a ghost and caught a yt instead!, and a nice one at that!!
Good job bro, that is a nice fish!!

bsp
06-26-2011, 11:34 AM
Jonathan, that's an awesome YT! Have never gone kayak fishing, but I think I'm going to have to try it sometime soon after seeing a quality fish like that! Definitely living up to your name right there!