PDA

View Full Version : New world record blue catfish

Fishbreath
06-23-2011, 05:15 AM
There is a new world record blue catfish pending. It was a 143 lb beast from Kerr Reservoir, VA.

http://americanprocatters.com/?p=1296

Old fishermen never die. They just smell that way.
Click here for the best of Fishbreath (http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/aa24/Fishbreath92028/Slideshow/?albumview=slideshow)

Hometown
06-23-2011, 04:16 PM
that thing huge im speechless

DarkShadow
06-23-2011, 04:28 PM
That's a lot of catfish nuggets.

TheAsianGuy
06-23-2011, 05:54 PM
They might as well fish for sword fishes with that much fighting putting forth with that monster. Sheesh.

ltj427
06-23-2011, 06:56 PM
Man that thing is huge. That'll provide dinner for a year

DodgersFan
06-24-2011, 02:00 AM
thats a nice looking cat for how big it is. most of them have their eyes bulging out lookin all nasty

Payduck
06-24-2011, 02:07 AM
45 min fight on 30# line, in the middle of the night, and then having to hoist it up onto the pontoon boat, that's not a fight, its a battle!

lucky he wasn't alone!

Fishbreath
06-24-2011, 06:20 AM
This one sentence bothered me a little. "It took Anderson, his father and brother, more than 45 minutes to wrestle the fish into their pontoon boat."

If more than one of them actually pulled on it, then it may be disqualified for a record. If he only had help pulling it aboard the pontoon boat, then he should be OK.

Old fishermen never die. They just smell that way.
Click here for the best of Fishbreath (http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/aa24/Fishbreath92028/Slideshow/?albumview=slideshow)

TheAsianGuy
06-24-2011, 08:58 AM
This one sentence bothered me a little. "It took Anderson, his father and brother, more than 45 minutes to wrestle the fish into their pontoon boat."

If more than one of them actually pulled on it, then it may be disqualified for a record. If he only had help pulling it aboard the pontoon boat, then he should be OK.

True. But at the same time, even though the statement is made that two people were battling out the cat, it was judged upon whether or not one person was able to haul the fish up properly without endangering the human's life and limbs. If it was the son who snagged the fish, there's no way in hell he can handle it alone. I'm able to handle 350lbs bench pressing, and trust me, I know I won't be able to handle that thing alone for more than 20 minutes. There's no way in hell they can disqualify me for having someone to help me reeling that sucker in, since 90% of the people muscles will be too fatigue to handle such a monster after 15 minutes. Only monster hunters have the long fiber muscles to handle monsters at that magnitude and larger.

Fishbreath
06-24-2011, 10:05 AM
I read the article again, and it really does seem like only Nick, who is a high school football coach, caught the fish by himself. Compared to a tuna the same size, everything happens in slow motion when you are fighting a big catfish. That is a lot of strain but both fisherman and fish get an occasional breather in that kind of battle.
The father caught one that was 95 lbs a few weeks ago.

fish-o-haulic
06-24-2011, 11:57 AM
I remember when i was 10 or 11 years old and caught a 10lber out of pyramid lake. that fight had my arms feel like jello afterwards. It was amazing, people who take catfish for granted dont know what there talking about. even stockers can be fun.

atleasticaughtabuzz
06-25-2011, 12:07 AM
i wanna fish where theyre fishing! ultralight tackle ftw!!!!!!!!! :p

vortec_cruiser
06-25-2011, 10:17 PM
That's really a nice catch, but I was hoping to see that it was released after weighing and measurements. It's a shame not to let it go back to produce more big cats.

cutbait
06-26-2011, 09:27 AM
Looks like BlueHunter has to step his game up a notch!

smokehound
06-26-2011, 09:38 AM
I would have released this kitty, wouldnt have told a single person about it...

Could you imagine if this was caught in socal? There would be bucketeers all over the place..