PDA

View Full Version : newbie with pontoon questions

brant
08-09-2007, 09:57 PM
After spending my youth fishing the lakes of nebraska, it has only recently dawned on me the amazing fishing around Los Angeles. I'm looking of taking that next step and getting a pontoon but have a few questions.

The entry model I'm looking at is:
Outcast Fish Cat Streamer XL- IR Pontoon Boat

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... 00_175-5-1 (http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_91532_175005001_175000000_175005000_175-5-1)

First, is this any good? how dry does one stay in a boat like this if they row? I want something that keeps me dry enough that I can use it in the winter months. Target Bass in summer and Trout in winter. Mainly looking to take it out at the lagoon and jenks. But maybe even a lake like Piru.

Or do I need to suck it up and purchase a model like this:

Water Skeeterâ„¢ Chetco Pontoon Boat
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... 00_175-5-1 (http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_84259_175005001_175000000_175005000_175-5-1)

My concern with something like this is it's too much boat and might be too heavy.

Also, what else is required as I hope to get out there soon!

Thanks

Ronira
08-10-2007, 04:02 PM
Hey Brant, welcome. I fish an ODC 1018 pontoon made by Creek Co. In my opinion if you want to fish totally dry you need a standing deck on the boat. If you want to kickboat around with waders and fins get the cheaper model but if you want to use a trolling motor definitly get the nicer model. The aluminum frame is a lot nicer than the steel one and you will need the extra wieght capacity for the battery and motor. My boat is ten feet long and is rated for 400 lbs. Believe me I use all of it. Don't forget a good PFD and a whistle or small boat horn. Good luck with the boat. Peace Ron

Z-TUNAKILLER
08-10-2007, 04:17 PM
Hey Now Ron, NICE toon and very good idea about having a whistle or horn.

Thanks,
Z

FISH ON !

Ronira
08-10-2007, 08:18 PM
Hey thanks Z, I really enjoy that little boat. Those little boat horns are pretty inexpensive and are perfect for drawing attention to yourself for whatever reason comes along. Later Ron

Nessie Hunter
08-10-2007, 09:20 PM
Pontoons and Float Tubes are Water Craft...

Federal and local Regulations are in place for any and all watercraft..

You must have a PFD readily available.
You must have a horn or other warning/emergency device....
You must have lights at night, or low visibility (fog, etc)......

If you put a trolling mtr on your pontoon You Must register it......

Just like fishing, know the regs Before it gets expensive (tickets)...........

Some lakes Require Waders. Pudingstone checks for PFD's when you enter... Some lakes prohibit any water/body contact and have min size boat requirements ............

Ronira
08-11-2007, 01:46 PM
Thanks Nessie, I've been procrastonating on the cf # for my boat. I gotta get on that. Peace Ron

brant
08-23-2007, 02:17 PM
finally picked one out...going with the outcast cougar. can't wait to pick it up saturday and see how the maiden voyage goes.

Z-TUNAKILLER
08-23-2007, 02:25 PM
Hey Now brant, NICE !

i just ordered my new toon today, maybe see at the goon sometime, good luck and have some great fishing trips.

where did you get your outcast cougar ?

Z

FISH ON !

Ronira
08-23-2007, 03:43 PM
Allright Brant, your going to love fishing a pontoon. I think it's going to take some time before you figure out just how much you can do with one. I hope you like it as much as I do. I just took a look at the boat you bought and that looks like a sweet ride. Can you put a standing deck on that bad boy. Peace Ron

brant
08-23-2007, 05:40 PM
I purchased it from Bob Marriotts. It's a bit more than the BPS but they were very helpful and are going to give me the crash course on assembly when i get it. I'm not sure about a casting platform as it seems outcast only makes them for the longer (11' and up) pontoons.

I can't wait to see how much it improves fishing. But it's going to take a few practice runs before I'm goon ready.

Z-TUNAKILLER
08-23-2007, 06:01 PM
OK brant, the reason i asked is Cabela's has a similar toon on sale right now, they call it the Cabela's Fish Cat Panther, I'm sure its a special order fish cat for them, as the spec. are a little different, it has a 400lb. cap. not 375lb. like he cougar, it looks the same? anyway just to give you some more info, god knows after all the research I've been doing the last few weeks I'm over flowing with useless knowledge.

FISH
Cabela's Fish Cat Panther Pontoon Boat
Item:IH-317457
Reg: $575.00
Sale: $525.00

Oh yeah, casting platforms seem to be on toons 9 ft. or longer.

Z

FISH ON !

Fisher-of-Men
08-23-2007, 06:07 PM
OK brant, the reason i asked is Cabela's has a similar toon on sale right now, they call it the Cabela's Fish Cat Panther, I'm sure its a special order fish cat for them, as the spec. are a little different, it has a 400lb. cap. not 375lb. like he cougar, it looks the same? anyway just to give you some more info, god knows after all the research I've been doing the last few weeks I'm over flowing with useless knowledge.

FISH
Cabela's Fish Cat Panther Pontoon Boat
Item:IH-317457
Reg: $575.00
Sale: $525.00

Oh yeah, casting platforms seem to be on toons 9 ft. or longer.

Z

FISH ON !

Another fellow Cabella's shopper :!:

:thumb:

Fisher-of-Men

brant
08-23-2007, 07:58 PM
z - i don't get it. the retail on the panther is $75 less (w/o the sale) even though it has bigger pontoons? Do you see any reason the cougar is priced more?

now im just confused.

Z-TUNAKILLER
08-23-2007, 08:25 PM
Hey Now brant, like i said i think Cabela's special order this fish cat from outcast, put there name on it and changed the spec. a little. i was thinking about getting this toon myself, until i found a great deal on the creek co.1018. i think if i was going to get the fish cat i would get it from cabela's and save some money, put the extra saving into a trolling motor, it's up to you, good luck.

Have a look at both BPS & Cabela's web-site's, read the customer's reviews.

Z

FISH ON !