PDA

View Full Version : July Pine Flat Trip

can2
06-22-2011, 06:02 PM
Whats up everybody? just joined the site this is my first post.

anyway, I'm going to be up at Pine Flat Lake in mid July and I was hoping someone on here had some info on what kind of fishing will be hot out there. I'm mostly going to be fishing for some spotted bass and maybe some catfish if they will be biting. But im open to suggestions on any kind of fishing as well, anything will help: spots, colors, rigs.

Thanks for reading:Smile:

TrouTHeAd
06-27-2011, 10:39 PM
Pine Flat is one of my favorite lakes in cental CA. I was out there 1 week ago with my boat targeting the holdover trouts, but the heat was a bit too extreme. The trout are usually really active by now, but the weather has been starnge this year. They are usually out chasing the shads all over the place. I haven't seen a school of shad yet this year.The trout are usually found towards the back of the lake where the river flows in. Those trout are fun especially on 2-4lb line. They'll chase anything that is the color of a shad or just simple powerbait. My cousin fishes for the bass and he has told me its been tough, but he manages a few everytime he goes out. He enjoys using the yamamoto's grubs. The crappie fishing has been pretty good at times this year too. They can be found in sumberged trees with live minnows. There are plenty of bluegills too, but they get pretty boring after awhile. The heat is still intense in the central valley. I hope you can handle the heat. Have Fun!!!!

dockboy
06-28-2011, 01:22 AM
I love Pine Flat. During the summer the spots will be your best bet. I've heard it can get crowded during summer, but if you go into the arms past Trimmer it should be okay. Lots of water this year. You'll find both trout and bass if you fish where the river and numerous creeks enter the lake.
For spots, fish a 4" or 6" Roboworm, color of your choice, on a dropshot or split shot rig. Simple, and catches lots of fish. Back during a tournament in Feb., my partner and I had 30 fish days on jigs and plastics. Small tubes like a Dry Creek Company or Gitizit in 3-3.5" with a 1/4oz head killed it too. Topwater like a popper or spooks should kill it too. If you have electronics, look for the shad or if there are no shad look for a nice sharp transition from say 10' of water to 40'. Spots really like steep bluffs, if you find a wall with good deep water access nearby fish it. And have fun!

can2
06-29-2011, 01:59 PM
I agree with both of you, I've been to the lake multiple times and it is one of my favorite lakes to visit. beautiful and huge; the family can normally find a nice cove and park the pontoon boat all day undisturbed. Glad to hear the water levels will be better, because last August they were very low.

But wow, thanks for the info both of you that really helps alot :Smile:

Can't wait to get fishin!

chansen49
07-13-2011, 08:29 AM
From what I hear, Pine Flats is "trying" out a new law that all passengers of all boats must wear a life preserver at all times when motoring. Boycott Pine Flats till they pull their head out!

dockboy
07-17-2011, 05:13 PM
They aren't "trying" it. Its the law. Its an Army Corps of Engineers reservoir, and they will enforce it.