PDA

View Full Version : First timer at Salton Sea

pisces66
06-22-2011, 04:59 PM
I was there yesterday from early morning until noon. Had a great time as a first time tilapia and SS fisher. Caught about 30 fish. The bite slowed down considerably around 11am. How is the late afternoon bite, as I will be working in Indio tomorrow? Also, what rod length, action and rig setup do you recommend. I used my 7' 6" ultralight, 2lb test with a dropper loop.

jayman
06-22-2011, 05:11 PM
since there's so much salt in the water, I use my bass pro shops $30 combo so I don't mess up my "good" stuff. I usually use a #4 hook and a 1/4oz weight.

Ultralight
06-27-2011, 12:00 AM
Curious. A friend told me that Salton Sea is extremely polluted in that waste water from Mexico flows in there. I have not a clue whether this is true or not.

Can anyone confirm or not?

Thanks,
UL

Ifishtoolittle
06-27-2011, 12:11 AM
Curious. A friend told me that Salton Sea is extremely polluted in that waste water from Mexico flows in there. I have not a clue whether this is true or not.

Can anyone confirm or not?

Thanks,
UL

Yes. If you eat fish from there you will grow a third arm and suffer from epic bowel movements.

mjc89
06-27-2011, 12:38 AM
dude all the water flows south to mexico. water doesnt flow from mexico north

Flying
06-27-2011, 12:52 AM

Water doesn't care about north or south. It flow from high to low.

Heres the article on the "New River" flowing in from Mexico http://www.sci.sdsu.edu/salton/NewRiverTrailOfPoison.html

smokehound
06-27-2011, 01:06 AM
FYI, the extreme salinity does prevent many dangerous bacteria from thriving.

It's really not THAT bad. Just be serving-wise, and you'll be fine. eating bluegill and bass from laguna lake is more dangerous!

P1M
06-27-2011, 03:02 PM
I was there yesterday from early morning until noon. Had a great time as a first time tilapia and SS fisher. Caught about 30 fish. The bite slowed down considerably around 11am. How is the late afternoon bite, as I will be working in Indio tomorrow? Also, what rod length, action and rig setup do you recommend. I used my 7' 6" ultralight, 2lb test with a dropper loop.

nero, I have been there twice over the past few weeks for a few hours in the morning. I have done best using a slip bobber and a peace of night crawler. I was using my ultra lite and i think the rod is 5'6 med action. I lost count of how many fish I caught but I was getting mad because i couldn't even drink a beer with my line in the water

drifter023
06-27-2011, 09:02 PM
nero, I have been there twice over the past few weeks for a few hours in the morning. I have done best using a slip bobber and a peace of night crawler. I was using my ultra lite and i think the rod is 5'6 med action. I lost count of how many fish I caught but I was getting mad because i couldn't even drink a beer with my line in the water
I know what you mean
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f12/01drifter/talapia.jpg
last Friday....

DockRat
06-28-2011, 07:01 AM
Don't do it. You guys need to do a little homework. Toxic Dump,
I lived ther for 3 1/2 years and built a Geo Thermal Power Plant 1/4 mile from the Sea.
Never fished it, Too Nasty. LA River is cleaner. Fish the clean canals, not the Sea.

Use common sense.

You have to watch the video.

The New River is So Fricken Nasty you guy have no idea what your talking about..
Don't even touch the water. The Salton Sea is a big holding pit for Mexicos toxic waste.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW-B1oAK1fM&feature=related

100% False Statement Above.

The New River is one of only a couple rivers that flow north in the USA. WHY
Because the Salton Sea is 225' Below Sea Level.

Heavy Metals, Pesticides, 29% Raw Sewage, Mercury, Uranium.
The New River waterway also holds the pathogens that cause tuberculosis, encephalitis, polio, cholera, hepatitis and typhoid

New River (Mexico – United States)From Wikipedia,
The New River (Río Nuevo in Spanish) flows north from near Cerro Prieto, through the city of Mexicali, Baja California, Mexico, into the United States through the city of Calexico, California towards the Salton Sea. The river channel has existed since pre-historic times; however, the river as known today was formed from a levee failure that resulted in massive flooding that re-created the Salton Sea. Today, the river flow is not natural, mostly consisting of agricultural runoff, municipal discharge and industrial dumping. The river has been referred to as the most severely polluted river of its size within the United States

FlowThe New River channel begins at a volcanic lake, near Cerro Prieto.[1] Today this lake feeds the Cerro Prieto Geothermal Power Station. The river flows north 15 miles (25 km) through Baja California and another 66 miles (100 km) through California into the Salton Sea, the largest lake in California. Flow at the border is approximately 200 ft³/s (6 m³/s), and about three times this flow at the Salton Sea because of collected agricultural discharges.

The New River’s flow is composed of waste from agricultural and chemical runoff from the farm industry irrigation in the U.S. (18.4%) and Mexico (51.2%), sewage from Mexicali (29%), and manufacturing plants operating in Mexico (1.4%). By the time the New River crosses the U.S./Mexico border near Calexico, California, the channel contains a stew of about 100 contaminants: volatile organic compounds, heavy metals (including selenium, uranium, arsenic and mercury), and pesticides (including DDT) and PCBs. The waterway also holds the pathogens that cause tuberculosis, encephalitis, polio, cholera, hepatitis and typhoid; levels for many of these contaminants are in violation of United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and Cal/EPA standards by several hundredfold.[3] Fecal coliform bacteria are at levels of 100,000 to 16 million colonies per milliliter at the border checkpoint (possibly more, as this is the measuring capacity threshold), far above the U.S.-Mexico treaty limit of 240 colonies.[4][5]

The combined effects of increasing, highly polluted inflow from the New River and agricultural runoff have resulted in elevated bacterial levels and large algal blooms in the Salton Sea.
DR

DockRat
06-28-2011, 07:08 AM
Lets Eat Toxic Tilapia, good idea. :ROFL:
I guess you don't care about eating contaminated fish. :Explode:
Why do you think nobody goes in the water.
In the 1950's you had lots of boating, water sking ect.
Not anymore. Most people are aware of the Toxic New River that feed the Salton Sea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=036Uy5FhtA8

I know what you mean
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f12/01drifter/talapia.jpg
last Friday....

DockRat
06-28-2011, 07:12 AM
FYI, the extreme salinity does prevent many dangerous bacteria from thriving.

It's really not THAT bad. Just be serving-wise, and you'll be fine. eating bluegill and bass from laguna lake is more dangerous!

How about the Industrial Heavy Metals ??? Your giving bad advice.

selenium, uranium, arsenic and mercury), and pesticides (including DDT) and PCBs

The New River’s flow is composed of waste from agricultural and chemical runoff from the farm industry irrigation in the U.S. (18.4%) and Mexico (51.2%), sewage from Mexicali (29%), and manufacturing plants operating in Mexico (1.4%). By the time the New River crosses the U.S./Mexico border near Calexico, California, the channel contains a stew of about 100 contaminants: volatile organic compounds, heavy metals (including selenium, uranium, arsenic and mercury), and pesticides (including DDT) and PCBs. The waterway also holds the pathogens that cause tuberculosis, encephalitis, polio, cholera, hepatitis and typhoid; levels for many of these contaminants are in violation of United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and Cal/EPA standards by several hundredfold.[3] Fecal coliform bacteria are at levels of 100,000 to 16 million colonies per milliliter at the border checkpoint (possibly more, as this is the measuring capacity threshold), far above the U.S.-Mexico treaty limit of 240 colonies.[4][5]

TheAsianGuy
06-28-2011, 10:53 AM
How about the Industrial Heavy Metals ??? Your giving bad advice.

selenium, uranium, arsenic and mercury), and pesticides (including DDT) and PCBs

Hi DockRat. Are you the person in the video segment, representing the areas that the New River flows through. If you are, great! If not, we are glad that someone is voicing up.

Now, let's address a few findings from your points of view:
[Industrial Heavy Metals]
Unless the fishes are bottom feeder, then no, the fishes are not effected. I worry if I eat the catfishes. You may say, well, the fishes eat the worms, which feed the bottom, or plants that draws the nutrients from the lake's bottom, and storing the metals in their leaves, and then fed by the fishes. Based on the 2007, 2009, and 2011 sample reports of the invertebrates by the Salton Sea Authority, the heavy metals are of no concern. By the way, the level of atmospheric depositions for Selenium, Arsenic, Uranium, and Mercury should more of people concern than what's in the Salton Sea right now, based on all the craps we've been experiencing in the past decade.

[PESTICIDES and PCBs]
Have you been monitoring the water you've been drinking from the local wells? I can guarantee that the level of PCBs, DDT, and better yet, Percholorate is a heck lot higher than the EPA drinking water standards in your area, as well as throughout the U.S. nation, not to mention lead, copper, iron, chlorine, and several heavy metals that cannot be extracted using filter systems.

[BACTERIA]
Unless you are exposed to the bacteria via a wound, cut, abrasion, by submerging your body in it such as those illegal immigrants, then no, you're not in danger. Your stomach acid will take care of those bacteria that were not killed during the cooking processes.

So..any more points you want to provide? Once again, watch how much you eat, and what you're eating. Make sure the fish's meat is not tainted with bad odors or some odd coloring of blood (yellow, orange, thick red color, or very very dark reddish to black).

drifter023
06-28-2011, 04:20 PM
30yr.s ago would hunt ducks off the levies out of red hill would launch a 12ft. and shoot in the sea there. river was gross then but there where always a bunch of people fishing there at red hill for tilapia. But nobody would fish in the river they already knew the river was bad then. And yes they would eat the tilapia out of the sea and yes I still know people that are still alive that would fish there then and nobody has extra body parts that I can tell. The sea is a whole different place and not your normal type of lake but I have always loved it.

DockRat
06-29-2011, 06:38 AM
You guys are aware that tha Sea has no outlet ? 3 rivers going in, 2 are polluted from Mexico. Average depth is 30' That is not much for a Big Stagnet Cesspool :Shocked:

Go ahead and eat the Toxic Tilapia, website after website with NOTHING GOOD TO SAY about them.

Study after Study of PCBs DDT Arsenic Found in Fillet Samples in the Salton Sea Tilapia

Just because you guys talk to some Forest Gump fisherman that say it is GOOD TO EAT
The test say otherwise.http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f192/Aoi_Matsumoto/affiliates/gump.jpg

BUT YOU GUYS STILL WANT TO ARGUE THAT THEY ARE OK TO EAT !!! WTF http://i712.photobucket.com/albums/ww127/jonathan3botts/toxic.gif

SAMPLE OF THE MANY TESTS !!!

Document title
Contaminants in tilapia (Oreochromis mossambicus) from the Salton Sea, California, in relation to human health, piscivorous birds and fish meal production

Author(s)
MOREAU Marie F. (1) ; SURICO-BENNETT Janie (2) ; VICARIO-FISHER Marie (2) ; CRANE David (3) ; GERADS Russel (4) ; GERSBERG Richard M. (2) ; HURLBERT Stuart H. (1) ;
Affiliation(s) du ou des auteurs / Author(s) Affiliation(s)
(1) Department of Biology and Center for Inland Waters, San Diego State University, San Diego, CA 92182-4614, ETATS-UNIS
(2) Graduate School of Public Health, San Diego State University, San Diego, CA 92182-4162, ETATS-UNIS
(3) California Department of Fish and Game, Fish and Wildlife Water Pollution Control Laboratory, 2005 Nimbus Road, Rancho Cordova, CA 95670, ETATS-UNIS
(4) Frontier Geosciences Inc., 414 Pontius Ave N, Seattle, WA 98109, ETATS-UNIS

Abstract
A summary of all existing information collected since 1980 on contaminants in tilapia from the Salton Sea is presented and risks to humans and fish-eating birds assessed. Of the 17 trace elements, 42 organic pesticides and 48 polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) analyzed in tilapia whole body and fillet samples, only selenium (Se), arsenic (As) and possibly dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane (DDE) were found at levels high enough to be of concern for fish, birds or humans.

Average current concentration of arsenic (As) was 0.7 μg g-1 wet weight (ww) in whole body samples and 1.2 μg g-1 ww in fillet samples, or 2.8 and 5.7 μg g-1 dry weight (dw), respectively. Inorganic As averaged 0.006 μg g-1 ww (0.03 μg g-1 dw) in fillet samples, which represented 0.3% of total As. By U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (U.S.EPA) guidelines, As levels in tilapia pose no threat of non-cancerous adverse health effects in children and adults. As is a known human carcinogen, however, and U.S.EPA cancer risk assessment procedures indicate that a weekly consumption of 540 g (19 oz) or more for 70 years would increase the upper bound cancer risk by 1 in 100,000 consumers exposed. Average current Se concentration was 2.2 μg g-1 ww in tilapia whole body samples and 1.9 μg g-1 ww in fillet (8.3 and 9 μg g-1 dw, respectively). Consumption of Se-contaminated tilapia was found to present no unacceptable risk for adverse health effects for adults consuming up to 1000 g (35 oz) of fillet per week even when additional intakes of Se from other food items were taken into account. Similarly, children weighing 30 kg or more could safely eat up to 430 g (15 oz) of tilapia fillet on a weekly basis. A health advisory issued by the State of California in 1986 recommended, on the basis of Se levels, that consumption of any fish from the Salton Sea be limited to 114 g (4 oz) every 2 weeks, but the rationale and calculations on which that advisory was based are unavailable. We suggest that the existing health advisory for Salton Sea tilapia be revised by the state in light of this new information and updated risk parameters for As and Se. Dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane (DDE) was detected in all samples of tilapia, with current levels averaging 0.085 μg g-1 in whole tilapia and 0.032 μg g-1 in fillet ww. Compared to screening values proposed by the U.S. EPA, these concentrations are unlikely to cause non-cancerous health effects in anglers, but one might exceed a 1 x 10-5 increase in cancer risk by consuming more than 4 meals of tilapia per week. Similarly, polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) were detected in tilapia fillets at levels that may increase the cancer risk for those anglers also eating more than 4 meals of tilapia per week. These determinations are based, however, on DDE concentrations reported from a small sample size (n = 4), and on screening values recommended by U.S.EPA. The paucity of DDE and total DDT analyses carried out in recent times on the edible portion of Salton Sea tilapia warrants additional analyses in order to evaluate the need for issuance of a fish consumption advisory with regards to long term exposure to total DDT via consumption of Salton Sea fish. With regards to the potential impact on fish and piscivorous birds, we cannot conclude whether concentrations of As in tilapia could pose a threat to the fish and the birds feeding on them. Se concentrations, however, may be elevated enough to negatively affect fish health, and reproduction and immune systems of piscivorous birds, but definitive studies are lacking. Total DDT and PCB concentrations in whole tilapia are not elevated enough to have adverse effects on fish and piscivorous birds. Fish harvesting for fish meal production has been proposed for the Salton Sea. Based on whole fish dry weight values of 61% protein and 21% ash, and the determined contaminant levels, tilapia could yield a meal of reasonable quality for use in formulating poultry, livestock and aquaculture feeds

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q22/Zermoid/toxic.jpg

Check out the cool pics and piles or layers of bones from all the dead fish and birds.
http://www.notesfromtheroad.com/desertsouthwest/salton_sea2.htm

The problem with the Salton Sea is that it kills what it saves.

Everyday you see dead animals all along the seashore. But some years, these die-offs – birds, fish, whatever, occur in the thousands and millions. Something – many things actually, are quite wrong with the Salton Sea.

Before all this, and by the 1920’s, the Salton Sea had become a tropical destination in California. It was almost as popular as Yosemite National Park: boaters, vacationers, fishermen. But the sea was being poisoned, and by the 1960’s, the smell alone was enough to warrant a gradual exodus.

A few have remained in coastline towns that resemble the realms of ghosts. Broken down and faded neon signs, nautical-themed bars that open early in the morning. This human residue, more than the wading birds along the shore, color the Salton Sea and give it its peculiar gestalt.

Get Over It. Save the Salton Sea ! LMAO Sonny's Dead and soon the Sea will be too.

FYI for you youngsters. Sony Bono (Sonny and Cher) Ex Palm Springs Mayor tried to save the Salton Sea in the 1980's 1990's He hit a tree while sking and died.
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh19/amandaghartzell/sonnybono.jpghttp://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p139/topcop-pics/sonny_bono_450.jpg Sorry Sonny.

DR

P1M
06-29-2011, 07:29 AM
Good info on everything other than what the thread was about. Only going to be 101 degrees today. I think I'm going to go do some toxic fishing this morning there.

TheAsianGuy
06-29-2011, 09:09 AM
DockRat, your research data was based out on 1999-2001 reports for the alarms triggered back in 1993 to 1995. Have you read up on the 2007-2011 reports on the bi-annual sampling for fish tissues, invertebrates, and water samples? The only type of so-called fear was the finding of the strain of botulinum mutant gene existed in the fish's gut, but not the tissues. Unless you eat the fish's gut (not advice for any fish), I can understand the alarm.

Since 2007, there are numerous reports, extensive studies, and tons reinforced data from constant tissue samples from fishes. Once again, there are something to hide by the Salton Sea Authority, as well as other agencies in order to obtain the funding, but, which agency is stupid enough to hide the toxicity levels exist in the ecosystem to forfeit the funding need in keeping the Salton Sea maintained? USEPA has a massive pocket for funding for endangered migratory water bodies, and CAEPA has a shallow pocket for any water body that required attention, such as water bodies that being faced with the invasive mussels.

I used to study up in the biomed and environmental toxicology fields, and read quite a few studies done by joint ventures of USEPA, CAEPA, Salton Sea Authority, Dept of Fish and Game, local municipalities, and the list goes on. I believe the articles of study started somewhere in 2007, and remains current to 2011, under the Biomed and Life Science studies. There are numerous volumes published by Hydrologia and multiple environmental authorities.

By the way, here are some data that may give you a expletive coming out of your mouth:
2009 to 2010 RWQCBs' reports of local water ways 1 mile downstream of treatment plants of secondary tertiary treatments:
E-coli count: 56,122
Total fecal coliform: 278,978
Total Lead: 1052.6mg/L
Total Arsenic: 122.8mg/L
Mercury: 15.9mg/L
Selenium: 36.4mg/L

The water bodies (rivers, channels, and drainages) have all types of people playing in them, including fishing, wading, horseback riding, and series of human contacts. We called this Rec2, Rec3, and possibly Rec1 based on human contact. No report of biological outbreaks or death from the local hospitals, clinics, Dept of Health, or Dept of Toxic Substances Control.

If you can find the recent articles and published volumes of medical and environmental journals that indicated the Salton went to hell with toxic levels of heavy metals as a whole (not just from the two toxic rivers), let me know. I know that the Salton Sea has three influents (3 input water bodies, but technically 5), and no effluent point. However, have you also visited the multiple salt beds used to extract the salinity content out of the sea, as well as millions of dollars spent in hauling off the extracted toxicity from the water while introducing more water into the lake with the Colorado aqueduct chain? Water is more precious than gold right now, and even when the water input into the lake may not be much, it's still enough to create a stable eco-system and dilution factor to prevent toxicity from overwhelming the lake.

Once you can provide the data, I'll help you with the warnings about the Salton Sea and its anglers. I do forewarn anyone who contact the water with open wounds or for more than 10 minutes. However, consuming the fishes, I still warn them to go easy on the fishes, with the knowledge that the lake is full of crap, but collective data provide a clearer picture without the massive fear of death in the next decade or so. I truly mean what I say about eating too much out of that lake, you will have a total anatomical shutdown. However, low consumption rate will not effect you, similar to the amount of veggies, meat, and shellfishes that you consume in the course of the year.

I should be the one to be alarmed when crap hits the fan. But, data provided said otherwise, so I guess I still have my guards up, but the alarm lights have not gone off yet.