PDA

View Full Version : salton sea?

CHUCH
06-22-2011, 12:36 PM
Hello world. 1st timer here from the bay area...was thinking on a road trip to the salton sea? anyone know what's the bag limit for the talipia over there? and is there other fish besides talipia?

bassyakker
06-22-2011, 01:23 PM
No limit on tilapia.

ityperx
06-22-2011, 01:53 PM
There use to be 3 other species of fish there forgot the names of them. I think one of them was a sargo(not sure) and the other one is a corbina/corvina ??? uncertain of that one as well.

Ifishtoolittle
06-22-2011, 02:16 PM
No limit on Tilapia. Seriously go ahead and take a 100 of them it won't even dent the fish population. They're used to be other game fish; the Sargo, Corvina, and gulf Croaker. Even with the lack of other species the remaining Tilapia population is more than enough to provide you with hours of fish pulling fun. Remember to bring some long rods, fish 6lb test, use bobbers, and have A LOT of Crawlers' at your disposal.

ichthus
06-22-2011, 02:50 PM
Check out this recent thread. It should help. I'll be down there saturday....

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?57638-Salton-Sea/page4

P1M
06-22-2011, 03:56 PM
I was there yesterday and it was unreal. Stopped counting after 30 fish caught. There is no limit. I suggest go early morning. I was using slip bobber with half a night crawler. Go down to the museum and just pick a spot. They are a BLAST with light tackle

BALLERONBUDGET
06-22-2011, 04:13 PM
with recent threads to eat not to eat.. wondering real verdict on these fish...; cant be worse than other fish listed as not to eat like barracuda/sand bass ? if wasnt safe why would it still be listed as hot spot on outdoornewsservice.com????? im sure they wouldnt promote it if it is as toxic as believed.... i think at least u see the fish swimming healthy and alive as opposed to dead in ur fish market imported from outside countries taiwan/chile/etc... we suppose they clean because they arrive at market dead ...we are not monitoring their water quality ! btw a year ago on DIRTY JOBS show. mike rowe showed tilapia farm and showed they actually eat the crap of the other fish believe it or not.!! nasty true , but still a damn tasty fish !!! my deuce 2cents.........

drifter023
06-22-2011, 04:25 PM
We were out there last saturday fished the state park if you go saturday get there early was way crowded. Going back this friday with the boat won't have to worry about finding a space:Envious:.

TheAsianGuy
06-22-2011, 04:29 PM
Safe to eat = Yes

Toxic = not high enough to sound every alarm. As long as you stay far away from the Red Hill influent point (this is where the feed from Mexico is), you're fine. When there's enough dilution of the water body to saturate the toxins coming from this influent, the toxic level dropped to non-concerning. Influent points from Coachella and Salton Creek are way too low to worry due to high enforcement from local agencies.

Good to eat = HELL YEAH. FISH TACOS! FRIED! BAKED! Dude..plenty of recipes here.

Species available = Corvina is rare, but still there. Last one captured was more than 6 months ago, 22lbs. Tilapia over taken the lake. Croaker..croaked. Sargo..completely gone. The salinity of the lake is way too high for those fishes to reproduced. The remaining fishes either died off due to the migratory birds feeding on them, or they just in hiding and no one has captured them since.

Fishes around here eat what ever is in the lake, mainly insects blown in on top of the water, and the algae in the lake. If the birds are not dead along the lake, the fishes are good to eat. If you spot dead birds all over the place any part of the year, toss your catches, and monitor the site before consuming. Migratory birds are sensitives to man-made toxins since they eat larger quantity of fishes, and smaller internal organs to deal with the toxins than us.

drifter023
06-22-2011, 04:40 PM
Safe to eat = Yes

Toxic = not high enough to sound every alarm. As long as you stay far away from the Red Hill influent point (this is where the feed from Mexico is), you're fine. When there's enough dilution of the water body to saturate the toxins coming from this influent, the toxic level dropped to non-concerning. Influent points from Coachella and Salton Creek are way too low to worry due to high enforcement from local agencies.

Good to eat = HELL YEAH. FISH TACOS! FRIED! BAKED! Dude..plenty of recipes here.

Species available = Corvina is rare, but still there. Last one captured was more than 6 months ago, 22lbs. Tilapia over taken the lake. Croaker..croaked. Sargo..completely gone. The salinity of the lake is way too high for those fishes to reproduced. The remaining fishes either died off due to the migratory birds feeding on them, or they just in hiding and no one has captured them since.

Fishes around here eat what ever is in the lake, mainly insects blown in on top of the water, and the algae in the lake. If the birds are not dead along the lake, the fishes are good to eat. If you spot dead birds all over the place any part of the year, toss your catches, and monitor the site before consuming. Migratory birds are sensitives to man-made toxins since they eat larger quantity of fishes, and smaller internal organs to deal with the toxins than us.
Had fish tacos from the fish saturday and sunday from the fish we caught last week. Going back for more Friday have not growin any extra body parts yet.

jayman
06-22-2011, 04:44 PM
Don't forget lots of sunscreen, and I'd recommend asian style straw hats (yeah, I'm japanese :Cool:) or some variety of them. Oh yeah. And probably most important, lots of water. Last I checked, it was supposed to get up to 113 today, this weekend a little cooler, but still in the 100's. I'm probably going to make one more trip out this season.. getting too hot for me. But that's it. I think :Confused:

Ifishtoolittle
06-22-2011, 04:59 PM
Don't forget lots of sunscreen, and I'd recommend asian style straw hats (yeah, I'm japanese :Cool:) or some variety of them. Oh yeah. And probably most important, lots of water. Last I checked, it was supposed to get up to 113 today, this weekend a little cooler, but still in the 100's. I'm probably going to make one more trip out this season.. getting too hot for me. But that's it. I think :Confused:

The weather is hot but not humid at least.

drifter023
06-22-2011, 05:16 PM
Safe to eat = Yes

Where was the corvina caught 22lb.s? Plus where did you here about this did you see photo, just wondering because have not heard a thing about corvina for a loooong time..... Plus will be there with the boat Friday.

TheAsianGuy
06-22-2011, 05:17 PM
Just make sure you don't eat all your catches in one day! :LOL: Space it out. 5 max per day. Give your system at least one day in between to get rid of remnant toxins (similar to eating too much fruits that pesticides were used on). Drink lots of water to allow your system to flush the toxins out through your kidneys. If you want to eat a lot more, there is a clay product that can be eaten (the name slipped my mind at the moment) a few hours before your meal. The clay will bind to the toxins you're eating, and you can pretty much eat the whole catch if you want.

TheAsianGuy
06-22-2011, 05:20 PM
Where was the corvina caught 22lb.s? Plus where did you here about this did you see photo, just wondering because have not heard a thing about corvina for a loooong time..... Plus will be there with the boat Friday.

The person that caught this corvina was on a boat, near the middle of the lake, at the deepest part. The Salton Sea personnel were surprised that a corvina was caught after such a long dry spell in detecting them.

I believe this was the starter's post:
http://www.corpusfishing.com/messageboard/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=120605&sid=99fa9c84090f45bd4b15a7d096a76451

Other reported in as well..forgot where. Too many forums to remember it all. Could just be hoax..but I remember reading back in December 2010 that someone claimed to have caught it. That was the last I remembered. I was jumping for joy thinking that someone restocked the lake with corvina after the restoration processes for the lake was granted, and can't wait to hit it again. Can some confirm the story whether it was a hoax or not?

P1M
06-22-2011, 05:39 PM
The person that caught this corvina was on a boat, near the middle of the lake, at the deepest part. The Salton Sea personnel were surprised that a corvina was caught after such a long dry spell in detecting them. I'll search for the article again.

I believe this was the starter's post:
http://www.corpusfishing.com/messageboard/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=120605&sid=99fa9c84090f45bd4b15a7d096a76451

Other reported in as well..forgot where. Too many forums to remember it all.

A few weeks ago when i went there for the first time I talked to the warden and he told me he saw a covina that was caught and he said he was surprised.

drifter023
06-22-2011, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the info. will look for deep spots was there in boat searching for them 3 yr.s ago and saw nothing on fish finder. And got nothing fishing for them even had live bait for them. Thanks again for the info....

PB&J's
06-22-2011, 06:25 PM
with recent threads to eat not to eat.. wondering real verdict on these fish...; cant be worse than other fish listed as not to eat like barracuda/sand bass ? if wasnt safe why would it still be listed as hot spot on outdoornewsservice.com????? im sure they wouldnt promote it if it is as toxic as believed.... i think at least u see the fish swimming healthy and alive as opposed to dead in ur fish market imported from outside countries taiwan/chile/etc... we suppose they clean because they arrive at market dead ...we are not monitoring their water quality ! btw a year ago on DIRTY JOBS show. mike rowe showed tilapia farm and showed they actually eat the crap of the other fish believe it or not.!! nasty true , but still a damn tasty fish !!! my deuce 2cents.........

It's true that the farmed tilapia are used to eat pooh, it was confirmed on California Gold with Huell Howser on his visit to a hatchery. It will be a scorcher out there expect mid 90s to low 100s.

fish-o-haulic
06-22-2011, 07:35 PM
I heard that all the other species died and that only tilapia are left. I thought it was something about high salinity or something. But thats just what i heard. Dont know why everything else died personally. My grandpa fished it back when you could catch anything else besides tilapia. he said it was good fishing.

smokehound
06-22-2011, 10:45 PM
It's no surprise why the tilapia here eagerly snatch up nightcrawlers, while tilapia at the park lakes just bite em and spit.

The primary forage of Tilapia in the salton sea is a species of worm, a close relative of the lugworms you buy at tackleshops.

CHUCH
06-24-2011, 12:08 PM
thanks for all the tips & info fellas...prolly going to take that long trip down there by the end of this month...

DockRat
06-25-2011, 06:45 AM

You guys are insane to eat anything out of that Sea !!!

The Salton Sea is fed by the MOST CONTAMINATED RIVER IN THE USA !!!

THEY HAVE WARNINGS THAT YOU CAN ONLY EAT SO MANY ONCES A WEEK !!!

I LIVED DOWN THERE FOR 3 YEARS AND 90% OF THE LOCALS THAT FISH WON'T FISH IT.

DO NOT FEED YOUR CHILDREN OR WIFES THOSE TILAPIA.

GO TO YOUTUBE AND TYPE IN NEW RIVER POLLUTION !!! omg

THE NEW RIVER STARTS IN MEXICO, FACTORIES (heavy metals) RAW SEWAGE ECT.
THEN PESTICIDES, FERTILIZERS ECT GO IN IN THE USA SIDE.

GOOGLE ' NEW RIVER POLLUTION '

DO NOT FEED YOUR CAT THOSE TILAPIA !!!
DR

DockRat
06-25-2011, 06:48 AM
thanks for all the tips & info fellas...prolly going to take that long trip down there by the end of this month...

Don't Do It !!! Do a little research. Go to Home Depot and buy some pesticides and drink them and you will have the same affect.
DR

DR

DockRat
06-25-2011, 06:49 AM

The last of the Covina was in the 90's since then only a few caught..
DR

DockRat
06-25-2011, 06:58 AM
Just make sure you don't eat all your catches in one day! :LOL: Space it out. 5 max per day. Give your system at least one day in between to get rid of remnant toxins (similar to eating too much fruits that pesticides were used on). Drink lots of water to allow your system to flush the toxins out through your kidneys. If you want to eat a lot more, there is a clay product that can be eaten (the name slipped my mind at the moment) a few hours before your meal. The clay will bind to the toxins you're eating, and you can pretty much eat the whole catch if you want.

That is the most crazy thing I've ever heard. To recommend eating anything out of the Sea.

Google ' New River Pollution '

Not to act like a dick but you guys need to do some research.
Chew on some mecury. The last 30 years that Sea has been filling with contaminated water from the New River from millions of people in Mexicali. I can not beleive the Gov has not put up Do Not Eat warning signs around the Sea. They issue ' Safe Levels ' of Toxic Tilapia you can eat !

You guys need to wake up and research

Salton Sea Pollution

New River Pollution

Alamo River Pollution
DR

DockRat
06-25-2011, 08:48 PM
Sorry to be a http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc122/diesistpost/PARTY-POOPER.jpg but the thought of someone feeding those Tilapi to kids, women or anyone who might care about there health in the future should take note.:Sad:

Read the bold print areas.

24/7 the Contaminated New River pours into the Salton Sea. I lived 1/8 of a mile from the New River for 3 1/2 years and the stench is nasty.

The Sea recieves most of it's water from the New and Alamo Rivers.
I would not recommend eating Catfish from the Alamo also.

If your old and don't care or believe the Salton Sea is not comtaminated then 'Go For It'
Don't forget the Tarter Sauce. lol

If anyone can produce any info to prove that the Tilapia are safe to eat then 'Bring It On'. The DFG has put out warnings on ' Goverment Safe Levels ' :Rolls Eyes: that you can eat.
DR

Scientific Studies:
Water inflow
Agricultural drainage
Studies have found that Salton Sea is possibly the most productive fishery in the world
Salton Sea Scientific Drilling Project
Drilled for cores deep in ground
Fish selenium levels
San Diego State University study
Determined, based on the selenium levels, that it is safe to eat 3 pounds of fish from Salton Sea safely in contrast to the 1986 study which said only 8 ounces
However, the study found arsenic in the fish, so no more than 26 to 46ozs every two weeks

Lets look at the last sentence again.

However, the study found arsenic in the fish, so no more than 26 to 46ozs every two weeks

http://amelia-gov.blogspot.com/

ArsenicFrom Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaJump to: navigation, search
germanium ← arsenic → selenium

Appearance
metallic grey

General properties
Name, symbol, number arsenic, As, 33
Pronunciation /ˈɑrsənɪk/ ar-sə-nik,
also /ɑrˈsɛnɪk/ ar-sen-ik when attributive
Element category metalloid
Group, period, block 15, 4, p
Standard atomic weight 74.92160(2)
Electron configuration [Ar] 4s2 3d10 4p3
Electrons per shell 2, 8, 18, 5 (Image)
Physical properties
Phase solid
Density (near r.t.) 5.727 g·cm−3
Liquid density at m.p. 5.22 g·cm−3
Sublimation point 887 K, 615 °C, 1137 °F
Triple point 1090 K (817°C), 3628 [2] kPa
Critical point 1673 K, ? MPa
Heat of fusion (grey) 24.44 kJ·mol−1
Heat of vaporization ? 34.76 kJ·mol−1
Molar heat capacity 24.64 J·mol−1·K−1
Vapor pressure
P (Pa) 1 10 100 1 k 10 k 100 k
at T (K) 553 596 646 706 781 874

Atomic properties
Oxidation states 5, 3, 2, 1,[3] -3
(mildly acidic oxide)
Electronegativity 2.18 (Pauling scale)
Ionization energies
(more) 1st: 947.0 kJ·mol−1
2nd: 1798 kJ·mol−1
3rd: 2735 kJ·mol−1
Atomic radius 119 pm
Covalent radius 119±4 pm
Van der Waals radius 185 pm
Miscellanea
Crystal structure trigonal[1]
Magnetic ordering diamagnetic[4]
Electrical resistivity (20 °C) 333 nΩ·m
Thermal conductivity 50.2 W·m−1·K−1
Young's modulus 8 GPa
Bulk modulus 22 GPa
Mohs hardness 3.5
Brinell hardness 1440 MPa
CAS registry number 7440-38-2
Most stable isotopes
Main article: Isotopes of arsenic
iso NA half-life DM DE (MeV) DP
73As syn 80.3 d ε - 73Ge
γ 0.05D, 0.01D, e -
74As syn 17.78 d ε - 74Ge
β+ 0.941 74Ge
γ 0.595, 0.634 -
β− 1.35, 0.717 74Se
75As 100% 75As is stable with 42 neutrons

Arsenic ( /ˈɑrsənɪk/) is a chemical element with the symbol As, atomic number 33 and relative atomic mass 74.92. Arsenic occurs in many minerals, usually in conjunction with sulfur and metals, and also as a pure elemental crystal. It was first documented by Albertus Magnus in 1250.[5]

Arsenic is a metalloid. It can exist in various allotropes, although only the grey form has important use in industry. The main use of metallic arsenic is for strengthening alloys of copper and especially lead (for example, in automotive batteries). Arsenic is a common n-type dopant in semiconductor electronic devices, and the optoelectronic compound gallium arsenide is the most common semiconductor in use after doped silicon.

A few species of bacteria are able to use arsenic compounds as respiratory metabolites, and are arsenic-tolerant. Arsenic is notoriously poisonous to multicellular life due to the interaction of arsenic ions with protein thiols. Arsenic and its compounds, especially the trioxide, are used in the production of pesticides (treated wood products), herbicides, and insecticides. These applications are declining, however, as many of these compounds are being phased out.[6] Arsenic poisoning from naturally occurring arsenic compounds in drinking water remains a problem in many parts of the world.

From paragraph above.

Arsenic is notoriously poisonous to multicellular life due to the interaction of arsenic ions with protein thiols.

ThiolFrom Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Redirected from Thiols)
Jump to: navigation, search

General chemical structure of the thiol functional group
In organic chemistry, a thiol is a organosulfur compound that contains a carbon-bonded sulfhydryl (-C-SH or R-SH) group (where R represents an alkane, alkene, or other carbon-containing moiety). Thiols are the sulfur analogue of alcohols (that is, sulfur takes the place of oxygen in the hydroxyl group of an alcohol), and the word is a portmanteau of "thio" + "alcohol," with the first word deriving from Greek θειον ("thion") = "sulfur". The -SH functional group itself is referred to as either a thiol group or a sulfhydryl group.

Many thiols have strong odours resembling that of garlic, and indeed the odor of garlic itself is due to a thiol. Thiols are used as odourants to assist in the detection of natural gas (which in pure form is odourless), and the "smell of natural gas" is due to the smell of the thiol used as the odourant.

Thiols are often referred to as mercaptans.[1][2] The term mercaptan is derived from the Latin mercurium captans (capturing mercury)[3] because the thiolate group bonds so strongly with mercury compounds.

The New River’s flow is composed of waste from agricultural and chemical runoff from the farm industry irrigation in the U.S. (18.4%) and Mexico (51.2%), sewage from Mexicali (29%), and manufacturing plants operating in Mexico (1.4%). By the time the New River crosses the U.S./Mexico border near Calexico, California, the channel contains a stew of about 100 contaminants: volatile organic compounds, heavy metals (including selenium, uranium, arsenic and mercury), and pesticides (including DDT) and PCBs. The waterway also holds the pathogens that cause tuberculosis, encephalitis, polio, cholera, hepatitis and typhoid; levels for many of these contaminants are in violation of United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and Cal/EPA standards by several hundredfold.[3] Fecal coliform bacteria are at levels of 100,000 to 16 million colonies per milliliter at the border checkpoint (possibly more, as this is the measuring capacity threshold), far above the U.S.-Mexico treaty limit of 240 colonies.[4][5]

The combined effects of increasing, highly polluted inflow from the New River and agricultural runoff have resulted in elevated bacterial levels and large algal blooms in the Salton Sea. With the lack of an outlet, salinity has increased by approximately 1% per year. Due to high selenium levels, the public was strictly advised to limit fish consumption from the Salton Sea in 1986, after which any amount was likely a health risk. Increasing water temperature, salinity and bacterial levels led to massive fish die-offs (1992, 1994, 1996, 1999, 2006, 2008), and created the ideal breeding grounds for Botulismavian botulism, cholera and Newcastle disease, which also led to massive avian epizootics from 1992-2008. Currently, the Salton Sea has a salinity of 4.4% (4.4 parts per 100), making it saltier than ocean water (3.5% for Pacific), and many species of fish are no longer able to reproduce or survive in the Salton Sea. It is now believed the tilapia may be the only fish species able to persist there for a limited time. Without restoration actions, the sea will likely increase in toxicity, and remain an ecological trap for avian species.

Environmental justiceThe stench of the New River near the boundary is often overpowering, particularly at night and during the summer when temperatures can reach 120°F. The New River is so heavily polluted that technicians usually wear two sets of gloves, aprons and other protective clothing when testing the water. Discarded tires, trash, dead animals and other wastes line the channel, foam blows into the streets of one of Calexico’s residential areas and toward its downtown area, mosquitoes and other pests thrive during the summer season; all of these factors only serve to elevate contagion risk.

The New River is so heavily polluted that technicians usually wear two sets of gloves, aprons and other protective clothing when testing the water. Discarded tires, trash, dead animals and other wastes line the channel, foam blows into the streets of one of Calexico’s residential areas and toward its downtown area, mosquitoes and other pests thrive during the summer season; all of these factors only serve to elevate contagion risk

Scores of illegal immigrants are also exposed as they use the river to enter the U.S. Those who succeed in crossing will rarely receive adequate medical attention or screening; and they will often find jobs in the agricultural or food service industries, carrying New River diseases to their various destinations in California and across the U.S.[9] The pollution problem is expected to worsen if Mexicali’s population of about 1.3 million continues to expand without adequate infrastructure.

In 2006, through another binational project, Mexicali finished building a second water treatment facility to treat the 10 to 20 million gallons per day (mgd) of raw and partially treated sewage that was being discharged into the river. In May, 2005, the New River was designated as one of two environmental justice water quality pilot projects for the State of California Environmental Protection Agency (CalEPA) to try to address the various pollution sources collaboratively between the various stakeholders.[10]

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w245/carbonrodney/d20%20Modern/Salton_Sea_Tilapia.jpg DR

Ifishtoolittle
06-25-2011, 10:53 PM
DR is not crazy you guys he is right. Eating fish out of that lake is um not a good idea, but no one is stopping you. As for fishing there just make sure you do not come into contact with the water or avoid it to the best of your abilities.