PDA

View Full Version : Big Bear topwater waking up

scott e
06-21-2011, 10:58 PM
The smallmouth have spawned and bailed on their spawning areas. Flukes and spooks or poppers on main lake chunk rock and points will work during low light periods. The largemouth have been spawning this past week and you can catch the males on buzzbaits, frogs and spooks in the spawning areas right now but the females need about another week to recover and then they will be biting as well. The summer topwater bite up here is just a week or two from exploding! This fishery is getting back to what it once was. This past week I've had topwater fish as late in the morning as 9 a.m. and in the evening as early as 6:30 pm.

You float tube and kayak guys can have a blast up here fishing early and late in the day in the protected bays and catch multiple fish in small areas. Weather is great and the main lake water temps are in the low to mid 60's with close to 70 degree water in the shallower protected bays. If there is cloud cover (from approaching thunder showers) you can fish topwater all day long! I'm as stoked about the bass fishing up here as I've been in 8 or 10 years. It's that good! The MWD has done a remarkable job in restoring the bass fishery in the past 5 years and as far as bass fishing goes the lake has had no pressure whatsoever. On a saturday, you won't see 4 or 5 other bass boats on the lake. As an added bonus the crappie fishing is rediculously good as well with two grades of fish. Smaller grade is about 6 to 8 inches and the bigger grade is about 10 or 11 inches with a few 13 inch fish on occasion. When you find em, it's game on!

This will be my last report for the summer as I take off for San Diego tomorrow to work on the ocean for the next 3 1/2 months. Be back in the fall. Good fishing to all and hope you come up to Big Bear for some real good fishing. Highway 330 is now open and the new bridge by the dam will be open by 4th of July weekend. Scott

etaggart
06-22-2011, 06:18 AM
Great report, Scott!!! Glad to hear such details about the bass action. I wish I was good enough to figure that out. Do you mind sharing some spot suggestions openly? Or via PM?

The only predictable bass action I've had is on the west side of the Observatory jetty, but I'd love to hear of other spots. I also hear about working just about any dock area.

Thanks loads! I probably won't be up again until July 9 and I don't know whether your crystal ball can see that far into the future.

Eric

Kelster
06-22-2011, 07:25 AM
Thanks for the report, need to get my tube up there and fish. Been doing the shoreline so far this year.

seal
06-22-2011, 07:45 AM
Thanks for the info.!

Cameron
06-22-2011, 09:47 AM
I was talking to the game warden last week & he showed my a pic of a nice smallie he nailed at the marina. Thing had to go close to 4lbs. Nice report Scott.

Big Bear Legal Eagle
06-22-2011, 02:23 PM
I'll be up there tonight for Thursday, Friday and Saturday. I'm really looking forward to breaking-in my new Colorado pontoon boat. Trying to troll with a 400 HP motor has been a little tough even while dragging a sea anchor. :-)

atleasticaughtabuzz
06-22-2011, 02:43 PM
I'll be up there tonight for Thursday, Friday and Saturday. I'm really looking forward to breaking-in my new Colorado pontoon boat. Trying to troll with a 400 HP motor has been a little tough even while dragging a sea anchor. :-)

DAMN! lol. im thinking about going up there saturday to do some tubin

Sublime-Steve
06-22-2011, 02:43 PM
Big Bear Legal Eagle.. whats up man how you been?

Cameron
06-22-2011, 06:51 PM
I need to get on the lake may have to take up a couple boating offers. Good luck with the slower troll lol.