PDA

View Full Version : filets in the freezer?

k3vin_kim
06-21-2011, 10:23 AM
Generally, how long can you put your filets in the freezer before they go bad?

what's the longest you froze your fish before eating it (and how did it taste)?

thanks.

kk

Scotto
06-21-2011, 10:28 AM
I use a vacuum sealer and it keeps them nicely for about a year. Without a sealer, I'd give it four months max.

k3vin_kim
06-21-2011, 10:56 AM
WOW what the?!?!? realllly???

i usually throw them out after a month!! Not that i eat fish - but ... really??

I have a more primative way of vacuum sealing - it's the ziplock almost closed and straw suction technique.

smokehound
06-21-2011, 09:59 PM
it depends on oil content. Oilier fish, like tuna or salmon freeze far better than drier fish, like Halis or rockfish.

I had a sargo in the freezer for several months, took it out and defrosted it in cold milk, and it tasted okay to me.

Actually it was pretty awesome. Still had that slight hint of mussel.

fishfinder
06-21-2011, 10:03 PM
WOW what the?!?!? realllly???

i usually throw them out after a month!! Not that i eat fish - but ... really??

I have a more primative way of vacuum sealing - it's the ziplock almost closed and straw suction technique.

try wrapping them in saran wrap, and then put them in ziplocks. works like vaccum bag. keeps them fresh for long time. won't get freezer burn

k3vin_kim
06-21-2011, 10:44 PM
took it out and defrosted it in cold milk.

interesting - milk you say?

k3vin_kim
06-21-2011, 10:46 PM
try wrapping them in saran wrap, and then put them in ziplocks. works like vaccum bag. keeps them fresh for long time. won't get freezer burn

Yes - i've done this before too and i concur - it helps prevent freezer burn. Thanks for reminding me.

you know how when you get home from a long day or 2 days off the boat, the last thing you want to do is rip off the patch of skin from each filet and individually wrap each one. Tedious. But i'll keep that in mind.

vanillagurilla
06-21-2011, 11:08 PM
Defrosting or soaking in milk for a few hrs will draw out blood in the filet and "fishy" tastes along with it. As far as freezing, I use freezer bags, put the filet in the bag, cover with water, squeeze out all air and as the water comes out, seal the bag. Your filets will be frozen in ice basicly and will not get freezer burn! Also dosent effect the flavor if themeat or allow oders to permeate to the fish. Plastic is not an oxygen barrier, vaccume seal or not, ice is.

smokehound
06-21-2011, 11:28 PM
I like to use a brine to store fish in the freezer, the salt draws the water outta the fish, and firms it up!

BabyKiller
06-21-2011, 11:32 PM
Generally, how long can you put your filets in the freezer before they go bad?

what's the longest you froze your fish before eating it (and how did it taste)?

thanks.

kk
Maybe a month or two. I usually give a bunch away, then go on more trips. That way I only eat the better fillets.

you know how when you get home from a long day or 2 days off the boat, the last thing you want to do is rip off the patch of skin from each filet and individually wrap each one. Tedious. But i'll keep that in mind.

Man, it is always pain spending an hour packaging fillets.

Honestly, some nice sharp knives have helped. Also, an electric knife for trimming fillets is so awesome. I can shave on bloodlines quickly with ease. I wash, pat dry, then freeze in portions. Only defrosting one fillet at a time. Not re-freezing anything is the way to go. If the milk is not fresh, it can sour the meat.

chris
06-22-2011, 11:16 AM
I trim, rinse and dry then vacuum seal them and have had fish 10 months old taste great. I have heard about freezing in water but it takes up to much room.

Its way easier getting home from an overnighter on someone else's boat. I have to clean boat,trailer, tires ,rods, reels then package up fish and the sealer really is the way to go. Sharp knives and a large area to work is the key.

cutbait
06-22-2011, 12:13 PM
I have a vacuum sealer too and if given the chance would keep fish a year.

Have had them for several months and taste great.

With a family of six and we all love fish, there is no need to keep fish more than a few months at my house