PDA

View Full Version : Some help fishing a skiff rental from Davey's Locker

Indo-angler
06-20-2011, 06:32 PM
Hi,

I have never done this.

I am taking my grandson for a trip for his 8th birthday and would like some help as to what you would suggest to use for light tackle harbor fishing, bait and/or lures.

Maybe some suggestions on where to fish since we have never been there.

Thanks so much FNN in advance for your help.!

vanillagurilla
06-20-2011, 07:29 PM
3" bighammers, dropshot flukes or gulp minnows, live bait on a carolina rig with a 1/4-1/2oz smaller hooks, i use 1/0 gamagatsu ds/splitshot hooks.

Phanatic
06-20-2011, 08:59 PM
I would say drift or slow troll 3" big hammers on 1/4oz leadhead beside along all the docks. You wont catch as many but you have a higher chance of catching something especially if you dot have any prior experience to jigging. Good luck out there.

kzhlin
06-20-2011, 11:05 PM
3" BH swimmies with 1/4 oz leadheads. war baits leadheads are great.

bounce along the bottom for hali. swim through kelp for bass.

Nessie Hunter
06-21-2011, 07:06 AM
If you want to get the youngster on some fun 'fast' fishing thats easy for him to do.
Get some Live bait at the Barge..
Go back to the Moored boats across from Coast Guard Station, anchor near the main channel and Carolina rig the live bait (use a Carolina Keeper, 3/8 to 1/2 oz sliding egg, on 8# line with good nose hook (1/0 to #1 hooks) on the bait..
Bass rods will do, anything thats 8# to 17# or heavier... Spinning is easier for young ones...

He will get a variety and probably a Big One now and then that will break him off, but fun as heck for the Youngster.
Lots of good areas and techniques, but this would be excellent close to Wide open fishing for the young man...

Wish I could get my 10 yr old Grandson down here from Portland, Or to to it........

Also a Great time to teach him about Catch - Photograph & Release (CPR)!!!!
Save the fishies.
And whatever you do DO NOT Eat anything from the Bay, youll both Glow in the Dark!!! !

Best of luck with the Grandson.... Happy 8th Birthday!!!

Indo-angler
06-21-2011, 07:44 PM
Thanks so much for the suggestions guys! I may use it all: the BH, ds and c rig setups.

I didn't know they have live bait. Hopefully they have sleds like at King Harbor or do I need to bring a bait bucket and aerator ?

I will be looking for that spot Nessie! Hopefully I can locate some other spots if that one doesn"t produce.

We basically cpr all our fish, but would a halibut from there be edible?

kzhlin
06-22-2011, 07:25 AM
the skiff has a livewell. ask the owner of davey's locker when you're renting for some bait. he will usually give you a pack of frozen squid.

when you use your baits/lure/whatever, apply some unibutter on it if you can. it's a scent and it works miracles.

live bait is on the barge. $20 for a full scoop if i remember correctly.

Zodiac
06-23-2011, 05:27 PM
Hey Indo-Angler,
The Skiffs are all equipped with baitwells and both models run you $85 for half day or $115 for full day, i would defenetly suggest you rent the deluxe model same price but you get the baitwell in the center of the skiff makes it a lot more convenient.
And as for tips anything the other members have told you works, the best luck i have had was live bait and slow drift with a carolina rig across from the the bait barge, just drop your anchor and let the current do the work it will slowly pull you towards the mouth of the harbor then just pull up the anchor and head back along side of the jetty across from the bait barge. have caught manny a halibut that way. gl C.P.R.!!! :Smile:
Zodiac

Indo-angler
06-23-2011, 10:08 PM
A quick report in appreciation for those who helped out.

Nessie anchor line was too short for that spot!

Zodiac you were dead on except for on an incoming tide the drift is opposite direction!

We tried the BH, but the live bait c rig or split shot were the most succesful for us today!

Just literally killed them in the morning. We caught about 40-50 fish, 8 different kinds! Amongst them 10-12 short halis, one legal 25", two white seabass, one was 24".

The advice was very helpful and much appreciated by my son, his 8 year old son, the birthday boy, and another 10 year old grandson. They were so excited they could hardly sleep the night before and all agreed they had a blast today!

Zodiac
06-23-2011, 10:17 PM
Glad to hear you had a good day out there and we're able to show your family the fun we all have when fishing, its always so much better when your catching also. Glad we all we're able to help out.