PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Surf Fishing Mentor...

Slick Rick
06-20-2011, 06:32 PM
I've been fishing off and on all my life... mostly freshwater but I do tube/boat the harbors here and there.

I'm looking to get into surf fishing but none of my fishing partners are into it.

If any of you guys head out in the south bay / oc area and wouldn't mind a tag a long, shoot me a pm. I'd love to join ya.

-Rick

vanillagurilla
06-20-2011, 07:27 PM
ill let you know next time i go out.

evosamurai
06-20-2011, 08:46 PM
rick pick him up then he'll go with you lol

Slick Rick
06-20-2011, 08:48 PM

Wait a second.... if I pick him up....

Who's going with who? lol

vanillagurilla
06-20-2011, 08:50 PM

go ask another question.

vanillagurilla
06-20-2011, 08:52 PM
Wait a second.... if I pick him up....

Who's going with who? lol

dont worry rick, he dosnt catch fish, just talks about it lol. Thursday evening ill be out in north oc area and saturday ill most likely be fishing NPH.

evosamurai
06-20-2011, 09:21 PM
vanilla u told me u didnt have a car at the moment so its kinda hard for you to get out.

vanillagurilla
06-20-2011, 09:36 PM
Yeah but I do get out usualy once aweek minimum, if not I might go crazy and kill people untill the cops shoot me haha, I'm a good shot to lol.

evosamurai
06-20-2011, 09:39 PM
yeah i cant catch fish though your right just ask questions

Slick Rick
06-21-2011, 12:47 PM
I take you two are buddies?

vanillagurilla
06-21-2011, 12:57 PM
no just some guy i gave some good advice to that decided to crack on me lol.

Scotto
06-21-2011, 01:28 PM
There's a guy named Bill Varney who puts on surf fishing seminars (free) in conjunction with the DFG at state parks.....you just pay parking. Seminar dates are posted at www.fishthesurf.com. Attendance is limited, so best to sign up early.
I took the seminar when I started surf fishing again with light tackle, and it was good, but wish he had spent a little more time discussing what structure to look for. But, if you think about it, it's pretty much like freshwater.......double-breaking waves indicate a trough between the two breaks where the critters hang out, edges of riptides, etc. Structure and timing your fishing with a moving tide are the two most important things to look for. If they're there, they'll pretty much eat anything.

Slick Rick
06-21-2011, 02:03 PM
There's a guy named Bill Varney who puts on surf fishing seminars (free) in conjunction with the DFG at state parks.....you just pay parking. Seminar dates are posted at www.fishthesurf.com. Attendance is limited, so best to sign up early.
I took the seminar when I started surf fishing again with light tackle, and it was good, but wish he had spent a little more time discussing what structure to look for. But, if you think about it, it's pretty much like freshwater.......double-breaking waves indicate a trough between the two breaks where the critters hang out, edges of riptides, etc. Structure and timing your fishing with a moving tide are the two most important things to look for. If they're there, they'll pretty much eat anything.

Thanks for that info Scotto.... I'll be attending that one asap.

Slick Rick
06-21-2011, 02:06 PM
no just some guy i gave some good advice to that decided to crack on me lol.

lol, Alight then... PM me about getting out Thursday. I usually get off work about 4:30 in Long Beach but I can cut out sooner in need be.