PDA

View Full Version : Back Pack straps for float tubes

Kelster
06-20-2011, 10:48 AM
How many of you use back pack straps to transport your tube? Is it easier then just grabbing the loop at the "V" end of the tube? I assume it is. I still try to pack too much crap on my tube, and take too many poles. So I am looking for an easier way to carry the tube and crap down to the waters edge. I have a fish cat tube.
Yea I know take less crap and you'll be fine.:LOL:

fishmounter
06-21-2011, 04:57 PM
Use a dolly or hand truck and bungie cords (like I do), or make a cart out of PVA pipe.

Liteweight
06-22-2011, 03:12 AM
How many of you use back pack straps to transport your tube? Is it easier then just grabbing the loop at the "V" end of the tube? I assume it is. I still try to pack too much crap on my tube, and take too many poles. So I am looking for an easier way to carry the tube and crap down to the waters edge. I have a fish cat tube.
Yea I know take less crap and you'll be fine.:LOL:

Personally I can't do without all my "crap". Even with backpack straps I still have to make at least two trips!
Outcast actually makes straps for their tubes.
LW

Kelster
06-22-2011, 07:42 AM
Personally I can't do without all my "crap". Even with backpack straps I still have to make at least two trips!
Outcast actually makes straps for their tubes.
LW

I saw those and was wondering if they really make it easier to carry the tube.
With the cart you have to take the cart back up to the truck?
Thanks

seal
06-22-2011, 07:59 AM
Very cheap/free and functional, if you have some old luggage around detach the shoulder straps and use them. I am constantly using straps to hike into areas and my tube is generally packed with crap since I also fly fish and bring at least 3 rods with me. You can attach your fins to the strap on the tube therefore eliminating something else to carry, I always need a free hand for my cooler.

See Chris Fish
06-22-2011, 10:32 AM
I use the straps from an old A.L.I.C.E. pack that I have. They work great. Straps are padded and the hooks lock tight.
I also carry way too much stuff, but you don't need it, till you need it.

TheAsianGuy
06-22-2011, 11:08 AM
If you have a bit of time to search, or a bit of cash to spare, check this one out:

http://www.wheeleez.com/

I have one of these, and used for my tubes when I have way too much crap to lug with me. Cool thing is, I can also use them as a floatation carrier for my additional crap, like a small cooler, hold my 5lbs weight, etc., to easy the burden on my already heavy tube.

Liteweight
06-22-2011, 06:23 PM
I saw those and was wondering if they really make it easier to carry the tube.
With the cart you have to take the cart back up to the truck?
Thanks

To which cart are you refering? My kayak cart I just put it in the back of my yak or Watermaster.
LW

Kelster
06-23-2011, 06:33 AM
To which cart are you refering? My kayak cart I just put it in the back of my yak or Watermaster.
LW

fishmounter's dolly, I was just wondering if he had to take the dolly back up to his vehicle.

vortec_cruiser
06-23-2011, 11:03 AM
I have an ODC420 tube, which is a tad heavier than other tubes around. Now try to imagine an old guy trying to carry that thing, along with all his gear down to the water at Bernasconi Road (Lake Perris). So, I got to thinking that there had to be a better way, and there is. Here's what I built from 1-1/4" PVC pipe. By the way, I have a small bike cable and lock that I use to secure it to a tree at the bottom of the ramp at Bernasconi.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r229/luvtnt/1307758084696.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r229/luvtnt/1308147470901a.jpg

Kelster
06-23-2011, 01:09 PM
vortec....That is slicker then snake snot. :)

vortec_cruiser
06-25-2011, 10:48 PM
vortec....That is slicker then snake snot. :)
It does work very well. I have even stacked two ODC420 pontoons on it with no problem.

Kelster
06-26-2011, 09:21 AM
seal- Found a couple old straps and man that made it easier launching from Perris. I put my poles in the PVC holders and all I had to carry was a small cooler, all in one trip.

HEMAN
04-18-2012, 05:51 PM
just saw this.. hey vortec, do you remember the dimensions for this?

I have an ODC420 tube, which is a tad heavier than other tubes around. Now try to imagine an old guy trying to carry that thing, along with all his gear down to the water at Bernasconi Road (Lake Perris). So, I got to thinking that there had to be a better way, and there is. Here's what I built from 1-1/4" PVC pipe. By the way, I have a small bike cable and lock that I use to secure it to a tree at the bottom of the ramp at Bernasconi.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r229/luvtnt/1307758084696.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r229/luvtnt/1308147470901a.jpg

vortec_cruiser
04-18-2012, 07:15 PM
Heman - PM me your email address, and I'll send more pics & measurements. It'll be a couple days, since I have to take the measurements.

That Dang Guy
04-19-2012, 10:28 AM
Heman you didn't buy those straps yet? LOL! You're gonna regret it on saturday. Pack light buddy.

.:LOLLY:.
04-19-2012, 10:49 AM
Last weekend I saw a guy with the perfect solution (sorry no pics). I'll try to describe as best as possible.
He had a creek company float tube with pvc tubing for rod holders and such. the pvc was on both sides of the tube (left and right). connecting the two sections was another piece of pvc along the back of the back rest. In the middle of that piece (which would be right behind you while sitting in it) was a t-splitter thing pointing downward. There was a wheel somehow attached to that. The wheel looked to be like the ones the dolly's use but the inflatable kind. The wheel stays permanently attached so you don't have to worry about storage or anything like that. Just roll your tube to the shoreline with all your gear ready to go and jump in!