PDA

View Full Version : Nph 06.19.11

.:LOLLY:.
06-20-2011, 08:29 AM
My buddy wanted to go fishing but had no idea where he wanted to go so I told him that we'll float tube NPH. He was reluctant to go because he didn't like the tide hours but I dragged him along anyway.

I was at his house by 545 and on the water by 630ish. This was my first time float tubing in the salt and second time in a tube. The weather was great to be out on a float tube. It was cloudy with slight sprinkles in the early morning. We had cloud cover for 95% of the time on the water.

We started off casting into the docks picking spotties here and there but not consistently. My buddy was drop shotting and I was throwing 4" swimbaits with a 3/8oz lead head.

At about 8am I hear this noise behind me that sounded like a boil. I turned as fast as I could and it wasn't a boil at all. Well it was, but it wasn't a fish LOL. That boil was a sea lion and it was about oh 15ft away. It scared the crap out of me. It just poked his head out, said hello, and left. If it was any closer I would've picked up my tube and ran on top of the water. There were quite a few Sea Lions on the boat docks so we decided to head for deeper water.

That's when the bite got good. Most of my fish came from under the boats and buoys. They were staying close to the bottom and hitting like there was no tomorrow. I almost wanted to hook into a ray just so I can get the scenic tour of the harbor but they never came.

All in all I got:
1 small halibut
1yellow fin croaker
3 sandbass
and about 15 spotties

My buddy got:
1 minnow sized halibut
4 sandbass
and about 10 spotties

brad1
06-20-2011, 10:07 AM
Nice catchin man I was put there yesterday with my pops on a skiff killin them too def a nice day on the water.....will have to go tube it some day...my pops pulled out a 30" flatty that was a tank.....ill post all the pics a little later....nice fishin

06-20-2011, 10:54 AM
Nice! Good to know you got on some fish too. It would've been serious fun trying to land one of those on a tube.

Airona124
06-20-2011, 11:09 AM
Sounds like a nice day good job

murrieta angler
06-20-2011, 02:45 PM
Good job getting the different species.
Thanks for the report,
Robert
<><

06-20-2011, 04:27 PM
Thanks guys.
I didn't think it was possible, but after yesterday, even my toes are tired LOL

I'll tell you this much, no matter how tired you are but when you have to go to the bathroom and you're wearing waders...
...now that's motivation to get to shore.:Twisted:

Wingnut
06-20-2011, 07:08 PM
We saw you guys floating around out there...
I was like, look at these guys kicking past all the boat traffic. :Shocked:
That place is so much fun to fish, nice job on all the catch. :Cool:

06-21-2011, 07:40 AM
Yup that was us in the boat traffic LOL. I was too busy making sure my buddy made it across the ferry's ok and the next thing you know, I had drifted right into there line of travel. That was pretty scary. I was the one splashing all over the place. (trying to figure out the best way to use the fins) Came to a conclusion that I need better fins LOL

Jaysuuun
06-21-2011, 08:49 AM
Yup that was us in the boat traffic LOL. I was too busy making sure my buddy made it across the ferry's ok and the next thing you know, I had drifted right into there line of travel. That was pretty scary. I was the one splashing all over the place. (trying to figure out the best way to use the fins) Came to a conclusion that I need better fins LOL

Long powerful thrusts of the leg will get you around much easier than short fast kicks. LOL Also you'll tire yourself out more if you make short kicks. Looks like a wide open bite for everyone in NPH. WTG on the mixed bag

06-21-2011, 09:23 AM
Actually I think these fins are dyslectic because I had to do short kicks. The long kicks would hurt my ankles and the short pumps would not hurt at all and move me around A LOT faster.

Ulua1
06-21-2011, 07:18 PM
Man that sounds like a killer day! Congrats - Thanks for the report!