PDA

View Full Version : TUBE VS Yak

atleasticaughtabuzz
06-19-2011, 10:02 PM
hey yall...im trying to decide between a Togiak and a sit-on top kayak for my first watercraft. i do about 85% freshwater fishing for bass, cats, trout, stripers, etc and have never gone saltwater fishing anywhere but a pier. i drive a small 95 civic (kayak goes on the roof with foam blocks n tie downs, tube goes in the trunk) and i am a broke college student so i need something affordable to buy and maintain (float tube cheaper to buy, kayak requires no maint.?) as far as portability, versatility, cost, n overall ease of use, what do you guys think? (cost meaning...tube: tube, waders, fins. kayak: shell n paddle). im pretty mechanically savvy so im pretty sure i can figure out how to rig both boats. pleeeeeeeese help!

P.S sorry if this is a topic thats been beaten to death

BassinChef
06-19-2011, 11:59 PM
I have a togiak and love it , its very compact and easy to inflate.one of the features i like about it is the backpack straps it has makes it easy to carry at the end of the day with all your tackle in it.My only knock against it is the back support is not the greatest but tolerable.I also drive a smaller car and it fits just fine and leaves plenty of room for your rods and flippers.
I only have used it for freshwater bass fishing too and it helps when you really want to get close to docks and other stuff i a eventually going to take it out to the salt and fish the bays.It all depends on what you feel will be more practical for you like do you live in an apartment or house , will u have storage space for a kayak, will you have easy access....i hope this helps you out some good luck

BC

Liteweight
06-20-2011, 01:49 AM
hey yall...im trying to decide between a Togiak and a sit-on top kayak for my first watercraft. i do about 85% freshwater fishing for bass, cats, trout, stripers, etc and have never gone saltwater fishing anywhere but a pier. i drive a small 95 civic (kayak goes on the roof with foam blocks n tie downs, tube goes in the trunk) and i am a broke college student so i need something affordable to buy and maintain (float tube cheaper to buy, kayak requires no maint.?) as far as portability, versatility, cost, n overall ease of use, what do you guys think? (cost meaning...tube: tube, waders, fins. kayak: shell n paddle). im pretty mechanically savvy so im pretty sure i can figure out how to rig both boats. pleeeeeeeese help!

P.S sorry if this is a topic thats been beaten to death

I have a float tube, pontoon, "Watermaster", and a Kayak. They each have their good points.
Just my opinion, but if you're fishing primarily freshwater you're probably better off with a float tube (I believe it's a little more versatile and a little more convienent to travel with). One of the advantages is that you can keep an eye on your rod while "trolling". Also the cost of "customizing your tube with (PVC) rod holders etc. is rather inexpensive and there are a number of threads on how to build your own here or get some ideas.
As for the rest of the costs, as with anything it will depend on your budget (which I understand is=to "Student broke").
Depending on what kind of waders you want to purchase this could be the second most expensive purchse after the Tube but a number of members here have found some good prices and sales on these. Suggestion is to keep an eye out on the threads for some help. My suggestion is to check www.SierraTradingPost.com you might find anything from waders to swim fins {I found my Patagonia Watermaster Light waders (normaly $289ea)for $99} and I bought 2. Great warm weather waders. As for fins any cheap swim fins will work in a pinch until you get more $ to upgrade. As for maintenance there basicly is none (except cleaning/rinsing/drying after each outing to prevent mold and possible transporting of any invasive species).

For all around versatility I do "Love" my Watermaster, because it packs away into it's own backpack complete with oars pump and any accessories I care to bring along and I can Kick or paddle and cover alot of water because of the oars. On top of everything else I feel completely comfortable fishing inshore harbors. However the cost of one of these is prohibitive so I need not expound on this further.

Although I love my Kayak, the one drawback is it's weight and portability. There is an unexpected cost to owning a kayak that is not discussed very often...accessories. If you don't get a seat you like or if the yak comes with one that's not by choice, you can end up spending another $150+ for a "good" quality seat [like the Seairsport Pacific Angler I just bought with a group order for $125+tx (normally $179+tx). Then there are paddles. I have a Bending Branches Glide Paddle which retails for $125+ and I'm trying to save for a Werner Kaliste or AT Fishstick Paddle either of which cost over $350, and you'll find a good set of ergonomic oars like those are very expensive (even more than a used Kayak) and you will very rarely find these on CL or Ebay. On some of the Kayak forums I've participated on the overall consensus is that once people buy one of these, unless they are getting out of kayaking altogether they would never part with them. So you see even a Kayak will have extra costs that you may not nave planned on after the initial purchase.

I hope this is some help to you,
remember this is just my opinion/:My Two Cents:
LW

atleasticaughtabuzz
06-20-2011, 07:38 AM
BassinChef, right now i do live in a house with storage space in the garage, however i do move around every once in a while...

Liteweight. from what you describe, a tube does seem much more practical...

Thanks guys! any other tips? on choosin the right tube?

I have a togiak and love it , its very compact and easy to inflate.one of the features i like about it is the backpack straps it has makes it easy to carry at the end of the day with all your tackle in it.My only knock against it is the back support is not the greatest but tolerable.I also drive a smaller car and it fits just fine and leaves plenty of room for your rods and flippers.
I only have used it for freshwater bass fishing too and it helps when you really want to get close to docks and other stuff i a eventually going to take it out to the salt and fish the bays.It all depends on what you feel will be more practical for you like do you live in an apartment or house , will u have storage space for a kayak, will you have easy access....i hope this helps you out some good luck

BC

I have a float tube, pontoon, "Watermaster", and a Kayak. They each have their good points.
Just my opinion, but if you're fishing primarily freshwater you're probably better off with a float tube (I believe it's a little more versatile and a little more convienent to travel with). One of the advantages is that you can keep an eye on your rod while "trolling". Also the cost of "customizing your tube with (PVC) rod holders etc. is rather inexpensive and there are a number of threads on how to build your own here or get some ideas.
As for the rest of the costs, as with anything it will depend on your budget (which I understand is=to "Student broke").
Depending on what kind of waders you want to purchase this could be the second most expensive purchse after the Tube but a number of members here have found some good prices and sales on these. Suggestion is to keep an eye out on the threads for some help. My suggestion is to check www.SierraTradingPost.com you might find anything from waders to swim fins {I found my Patagonia Watermaster Light waders (normaly $289ea)for $99} and I bought 2. Great warm weather waders. As for fins any cheap swim fins will work in a pinch until you get more $ to upgrade. As for maintenance there basicly is none (except cleaning/rinsing/drying after each outing to prevent mold and possible transporting of any invasive species).

For all around versatility I do "Love" my Watermaster, because it packs away into it's own backpack complete with oars pump and any accessories I care to bring along and I can Kick or paddle and cover alot of water because of the oars. On top of everything else I feel completely comfortable fishing inshore harbors. However the cost of one of these is prohibitive so I need not expound on this further.

Although I love my Kayak, the one drawback is it's weight and portability. There is an unexpected cost to owning a kayak that is not discussed very often...accessories. If you don't get a seat you like or if the yak comes with one that's not by choice, you can end up spending another $150+ for a "good" quality seat [like the Seairsport Pacific Angler I just bought with a group order for $125+tx (normally $179+tx). Then there are paddles. I have a Bending Branches Glide Paddle which retails for $125+ and I'm trying to save for a Werner Kaliste or AT Fishstick Paddle either of which cost over $350, and you'll find a good set of ergonomic oars like those are very expensive (even more than a used Kayak) and you will very rarely find these on CL or Ebay. On some of the Kayak forums I've participated on the overall consensus is that once people buy one of these, unless they are getting out of kayaking altogether they would never part with them. So you see even a Kayak will have extra costs that you may not nave planned on after the initial purchase.

I hope this is some help to you,
remember this is just my opinion/:My Two Cents:
LW

5150fishn
06-20-2011, 02:28 PM
I went from a float tube to a kayak and I wish I had kept my float tube as a backup. I prefer my kayak because of the ability to troll and also I can head out on the open ocean not just the harbors. But there are times when the wind is up and I wish I had my float tube to just chill in a cove and not have the burden of lugging the yak around. Dicks sporting goods sells decent kayaks with mutiple rod holders and seat included often times for about $500.00. No easy answer to your question just a matter of preference.

atleasticaughtabuzz
06-20-2011, 04:31 PM
I went from a float tube to a kayak and I wish I had kept my float tube as a backup. I prefer my kayak because of the ability to troll and also I can head out on the open ocean not just the harbors. But there are times when the wind is up and I wish I had my float tube to just chill in a cove and not have the burden of lugging the yak around. Dicks sporting goods sells decent kayaks with mutiple rod holders and seat included often times for about $500.00. No easy answer to your question just a matter of preference.

what type of float tube did you have?

STOPBUGGING
06-20-2011, 11:43 PM
Float tube for me...alot easy to travel with and faster to get on the water with...

Fish hard

5150fishn
06-21-2011, 08:10 AM
what type of float tube did you have?

I had a fishcat 4. It was great but I do a lot of trolling and the kayak was better for this. I should of kept the float tube also.

Liteweight
06-22-2011, 03:21 AM
BassinChef, right now i do live in a house with storage space in the garage, however i do move around every once in a while...

Liteweight. from what you describe, a tube does seem much more practical...

Thanks guys! any other tips? on choosin the right tube?
I own an Outcast "Fat Cat", modified with the air seat from the Super Fat Cat. IMO the best quality tube out there but also one of the most expensive!!!
LW.

atleasticaughtabuzz
06-22-2011, 07:28 AM
any feedback on the Caddis Navigator II?

Liteweight
06-22-2011, 07:13 PM

Sorry can't help you much. No personal experience, however from reviews of owners say it's only ok, does sit lower in the water than a Fish Cat or Fat Cat.. Most "cheap" tubes won't last too long, this does depend on how you maintain and store it.
LW

TheAsianGuy
06-22-2011, 09:43 PM

If you're planning on getting the Caddis Nav II, why not go for broke on Dave Scadden Escape. You can find quite a few of them on Craigslist locally for Los Angeles and Orange County. Quite a few for San Diego too, which is about $200 to $250. It's a mesh of both kayak and tube's world, which oars-ready to add the additional propulsion in the water. It's 600 weight capacity I believe. Plenty of junk to carry with you in the water. Some people also add an electric motor to it too. Pretty nifty.

atleasticaughtabuzz
06-23-2011, 10:56 AM
haha i didnt notice the nav II was that expensive. i DEFINITELY cant afford spending over $150 on my first tube

atleasticaughtabuzz
06-23-2011, 01:45 PM
might be picking up a Caddis Nevada Gold (used one time, 9/10), waders and fins for 80 bucks today...no leaks. good deal?

TheAsianGuy
06-23-2011, 01:50 PM
might be picking up a Caddis Nevada Gold (used one time, 9/10), waders and fins for 80 bucks today...no leaks. good deal?

that is a freaking good deal! that person must have hated that tube to sell it that low.

atleasticaughtabuzz
06-23-2011, 01:51 PM
i guess hes getting kicked out of his parents house so hes tryna gather money lol

LBSea
06-24-2011, 08:29 PM
I would not recommend a caddis float tube. That u shape and pontoon design is old school technology and the tube sits too low in the water. I had a cad is navigator top of the line and when my buddy showed up with his new odc420 I realized that I had the wrong tube. ODC420 or any other v style tube like fat cat sit much higher keeping you dryer, warmer and you move faster on the water. 90 seems a lot for a caddis when you can find a odc420 on sale for 99 if you keep looking. I have owed both styles and have tube for over 10 years so I know what I am talking about.

fishtales
06-26-2011, 07:36 PM
If you're planning on getting the Caddis Nav II, why not go for broke on Dave Scadden Escape. You can find quite a few of them on Craigslist locally for Los Angeles and Orange County. Quite a few for San Diego too, which is about $200 to $250. It's a mesh of both kayak and tube's world, which oars-ready to add the additional propulsion in the water. It's 600 weight capacity I believe. Plenty of junk to carry with you in the water. Some people also add an electric motor to it too. Pretty nifty.

Hi Asian Guy,

I'd like to know where in SoCal or anywhere for that matter, can you buy a Dave Scadden Escape for $200-$250?? Please provide factual information, ie, proof.

Who in their right mind would take a $500+ loss on a boat that sells for $699.99 NEW??

You say you just bought a Scadden Skykomish Sunrise for $500 in San Diego. I've been looking everyday at prices and I sure didn't see it. The Escape and the Skykomish are 2 very different boats, the Escape being a much newer and easier boat to use. The Escape has only been out on the market for 2 years or less.

So please list on this board phone numbers of people who have their Escape advertised at these prices.

TheAsianGuy
06-27-2011, 08:44 AM
Hi Asian Guy,

I'd like to know where in SoCal or anywhere for that matter, can you buy a Dave Scadden Escape for $200-$250?? Please provide factual information, ie, proof.

Who in their right mind would take a $500+ loss on a boat that sells for $699.99 NEW??

You say you just bought a Scadden Skykomish Sunrise for $500 in San Diego. I've been looking everyday at prices and I sure didn't see it. The Escape and the Skykomish are 2 very different boats, the Escape being a much newer and easier boat to use. The Escape has only been out on the market for 2 years or less.

So please list on this board phone numbers of people who have their Escape advertised at these prices.

Seriously? I just my Dave Scadden Skykomish that cost the guy $1400 that he purchased a year ago, fully loaded, and he sold me for $500. It sitting in my livingroom right now, retrofitted with a 55lbs Endura C2 motor (also a new release) for a $100 and a fish finder. I saw earlier two postings, one in the Azusa and one in San Diego for the escape for $200 and $275 for the escape. Removed by authors after it was sold less than 2 days of posting. Why should I know? Because I was searching for a pontoon or a hybrid for the past 2 months after speaking with Ronina.

It's all how patient you are, and how much you're willing to dedicate in searching. I searched the forums daily, and craigslist, for the I.E., San Diego, Los Angeles, and Orange County. So yes..I spot things like you wouldn't believe. If any one need proofs, I can help you to search for it. Just let me know that you will not flake when the deals come down. You flake out, you will have a serious problem with me. Why? Because I'm just that kind of a person.

fishtales
06-27-2011, 09:42 AM
Yes, I'd like proof on the Escape

TheAsianGuy
06-27-2011, 09:48 AM
Yes, I'd like proof on the Escape

So..are you willing to purchase one, so that I can help you look for one? Or are you just like to waste my time to prove that you can spend time and effort in searching for great deals in this desperate economy? If you are serious about purchasing the boat, please, PM me your info. I'll verify your info, confirm your seriousness, and we'll continue there. Otherwise, I don't like to take any more of the forum's time and space proving a provoking point. Sorry to be head strong, but that's my nature.

fishtales
06-27-2011, 10:00 AM
I already own one. I sent you a PM

atleasticaughtabuzz
06-27-2011, 12:29 PM
@fishtales...unless you are interested in purchasing one...its not that serious. If he found one at that price...he found one. so be it. :Dead Horse:

fishtales
06-27-2011, 01:40 PM
atleastcaught...

FYI, I own an Escape and currently have it for sale on Criagslist and this board as well as others. It's been up one week. When someone says they saw the same boat for $200-$250 when the retail price is over $700 with shipping and I have mine listed for a reasonable price, it doesn't set well with me. That's why I asked for proof. Anyone can say anything on the net and there are people who will believe it unless it is challenged. I am very knowledgeable about kayaks, pontoon boats and float tubes. I am well aware of quality as well as pricing. But $200 for a $700 high-end boat that's only been on the market around 2 years. Please!

As it turned out, Asian Guy was very cordial.

FT

LGHT
06-27-2011, 03:06 PM
I'm in the market for a float tube and was looking at the outcast prowler because I wanted something that could handle a little bit more than 250 lbs as I'm about 220. How does the dave skadden compare to that? It seems like it's bigger and can handle a lot more weight, but wouldn't all that extra floation add to drag and is it even possible to add oars to the outcast models? I'm somewhat new to lake fishing as my buddy sold his Whaler and moved up north. I enjoy camping and shore fishing so i'm just looking to take it to the next level with a float tube.

LBSea
06-27-2011, 10:29 PM
I'm in the market for a float tube and was looking at the outcast prowler because I wanted something that could handle a little bit more than 250 lbs as I'm about 220. How does the dave skadden compare to that? It seems like it's bigger and can handle a lot more weight, but wouldn't all that extra floation add to drag and is it even possible to add oars to the outcast models? I'm somewhat new to lake fishing as my buddy sold his Whaler and moved up north. I enjoy camping and shore fishing so i'm just looking to take it to the next level with a float tube.

If you are new to tubing don't get anything that will set you back hundreds of dollars, what the heck. Get your self an ODC or Fat Cat. The ODC can handle 220 lb easy that is what I weight and I am 6'-1". You can get a tube, fins and waders for around $199.00. Now once you get going and if you like tubing by next year then dump $700.00 on some overly priced float tube but for starts why?

Everyone is an expert until they have to pony up serious doe, then all the talk is what a great deal, I would get that if I had the cash. What BS. Get a cheap tube to start and go fishing this weekend. Or not and keep saying I can't wait to get my 700.00 float tube.

TheAsianGuy
06-27-2011, 11:24 PM
If you are new to tubing don't get anything that will set you back hundreds of dollars, what the heck. Get your self an ODC or Fat Cat. The ODC can handle 220 lb easy that is what I weight and I am 6'-1". You can get a tube, fins and waders for around $199.00. Now once you get going and if you like tubing by next year then dump $700.00 on some overly priced float tube but for starts why?

Everyone is an expert until they have to pony up serious doe, then all the talk is what a great deal, I would get that if I had the cash. What BS. Get a cheap tube to start and go fishing this weekend. Or not and keep saying I can't wait to get my 700.00 float tube.

Such a true statement. Stick with something cheap, and then promote to something big. Same as I. I start out on old model tubes..and then slowly promote to the big boy's toy, after experiencing the pains and the fun of just floating in the water with your fins..legs..and lots and lots of cramps. Hey, to each his/her own. If your bank account is nice and big, go for it. If not, go with the poor man's account: 2nd and 3rd hand stores :LOL:

fishtales
06-27-2011, 11:45 PM

The Scadden's weight capacity is 600#. It is 6 ft long by 48 inches wide. It weighs 22 lbs. I took it out to Irvine and I didn't notice any drag. I bought the LiteSpeed oars with the boat and I outdistanced a guy who was next to me in a regular boat, trolling. BUT I am keeping the upgraded oars. The standard oars should do just fine.

The outcast prowler is a good tube, well made but so is the ODC420. I've heard complaints about the Prowler being too heavy. My beef with the ODC420 tube was that I kept feeling like I was sliding off the seat so I'd have to adjust myself back into the seat. I also didn't like the rather small side pockets. I sold it 'cause I really wanted to Scadden boat but I settled for less because of the cost. I am not new to fishing, float tubing, kayakfishing, or pontooning. BUT since you are new, The Asian Guy has some good points. Namely, getting a tube and going fishing. I would NOT recommend you get a round tube, though. They are not easy to enter or exit from with fins on.

I would get the best set up you can afford, buy it used if possible, so if you're not completely happy with it, sell it to another newbie and pass on the information you learned to him/her. It really does take experience to find out what suits you and what doesn't.

You might also consider going to www.northforkoutdoors.com and checking out the videos, the specs on the boats, etc. One great thing is it has a lifetime warranty. Dave Scadden used to design boat for Outcast before he started his own company.

Hope this helps.

FT

atleasticaughtabuzz
06-28-2011, 04:46 AM
just another side note. I am also new to tubing (6/25 was my first outing in a tube). i bought a $30 dollar used tube that gets the job done. i now know what i like and dislike about the tube i own and once i am proficient ill know what im looking for in the next tube i buy.

LGHT
06-28-2011, 08:35 AM
I would get the best set up you can afford, buy it used if possible, so if you're not completely happy with it, sell it to another newbie and pass on the information you learned to him/her.
FT

Is this why your selling your skadden? Your not happy with it? If so why or what is the problems. I tried out an outcast this weekend and it didn't seem heavy at all only weighing 16 lbs. The problem is I don't know if I want to kick around a lake all day long if there are other options. Although i'm a certified freediver and have a good kick stroke sitting in a chair and kicking is a whole other set of muscles being used.

TheAsianGuy
06-28-2011, 09:59 AM
i now know what i like and dislike about the tube i own and once i am proficient ill know what im looking for in the next tube i buy.

:ROFL: Proficient ill..man..you're literally speaking the truth.."proficient" can't be proficient while fighting the heavy wind. "ill".. :LOL: oh..you crack me up David. I'm still having a hard time calming down after seeing your texts and your posts. My wife kept on reminding me to whip some senses into you for being plain crazy.

atleasticaughtabuzz
06-28-2011, 10:20 AM
:ROFL: Proficient ill..man..you're literally speaking the truth.."proficient" can't be proficient while fighting the heavy wind. "ill".. :LOL: oh..you crack me up David. I'm still having a hard time calming down after seeing your texts and your posts. My wife kept on reminding me to whip some senses into you for being plain crazy.

haha i am no longer sick. i guess ill the the tube another shot this weekend...maybe sunday.

fishtales
06-28-2011, 03:03 PM
Hi LGHT,

I love the Scadden. I bought the next size up but I haven't used it yet. I take a lot of stuff with me and I wanted a bigger one. IF by chance the Escape does not sell in the next 10 days or so, I will keep the Escape and get my money back on the bigger one. I can't keep both as much as I'd like to.

As far as the Prowler is concerned, I am going by what 2 other owners have told me.

FT

TheAsianGuy
06-28-2011, 03:12 PM
FT, the reason why that Escape is not sold is because its still a bit pricey for most of us in this forum, or those who live in the I.E. area. OC and SD areas have their own tastes in more expensive watercrafts. That's why I hunt for items in the OC, SD, and LA areas, since they have expensive tastes, yet, when they're bored of their gears, they sell cheap :Cool: However, you should stick with the price on your Escape unless you're willing to go a bit lower. Suggestion is to lose another $100, and that thing will be out the door real fast.

LGHT
06-28-2011, 04:24 PM
Ok that makes since. I would also like the next size up size up, but i'm also on a budget after dropping a ton on a new audio equipment and having several expensive hobbies. However it it where the same price as what I was getting I would seriously have to consider it since I may need to row instead of kick from time to time ;)

fishtales
06-28-2011, 04:53 PM
I'm already taking a loss on it. I'm as low as I'll go. Good luck with the Prowler. Have fun!

fishtales
06-28-2011, 05:06 PM
I understand your point of view. However, I don't need to sell it, I just wanted the bigger version but if the Escape doesn't sell, I will keep it and send the other one back. I'm already selling below retail for an almost new boat, not willing to come down any lower.

Darius
07-04-2011, 12:42 AM
Bow down guys fact is kayaks are faster, quieter (stealth), more comfortable, able to eat lunch comfortable, be drier, look cooler, break the wake, get to the hot spots, able to piss in a can easier, but if transportation is a issue clearly a tube is a good alternative. It's all about compromising, if I did not have a pick up truck I would be still tubing. On the other hand, fishing tube is good for hard to get places such as lakes that do not have a parking lot front etc. Above all tube if you must, kayak all the way.

LGHT
07-08-2011, 10:23 AM
Bow down guys fact is kayaks are faster, quieter (stealth), more comfortable, able to eat lunch comfortable, be drier, look cooler, break the wake, get to the hot spots, able to piss in a can easier, but if transportation is a issue clearly a tube is a good alternative. It's all about compromising, if I did not have a pick up truck I would be still tubing. On the other hand, fishing tube is good for hard to get places such as lakes that do not have a parking lot front etc. Above all tube if you must, kayak all the way.

You have some good points and I have the larger yukon and could easily transport a yak, but man those things are heavy and a PITA to get to a spot and launch. I think I would get a yak if I was ocean fishing only, but I'm looking to focus on lake fishing and kinda like the idea of putting all my gear in a bag and hitting remote hard spots and just dropping in the water at a lake.

Darius
07-09-2011, 11:57 AM
Since you have a larger yukon, ah nevermind I was going to just say you can put down your 3rd 2nd row of seats ram a kayak in there. But it'll be a mess with the water dirt etc. Like you said make things easier on yourself with what you got.

atleasticaughtabuzz
07-09-2011, 12:03 PM
well if it means anything...im pretty sure ive decided on a tube as i have just purchased a pretty much new (used 2x) fishcat 4, two strap on rod holders, a nice mesh net, neoprene waders, wading boots, fins, two tackle trays and a carrying back for $100 0_o OMFG I KNOW ITS AN AWESOME DEAL! got it from my coworkers boyfriend.

LGHT
07-12-2011, 10:18 AM
Wow that is a good deal. I want to get the prowler, but since I will also needs things like rod holders, fins etc It's going to add up quickly. Plus I just spent a lot of money on a few rods / reels and the old lady has her eye on a nice new coach bag so I might have to wait it out :(

tacklejunkie
07-18-2011, 10:59 PM
I've fished in everything but a sit on Kayak and a stand up Jet Ski.

Kayaks cover ridiculous amount of water fast and easy, one piece, light weight and get to the water the fastest if you forgo the finder and motors. You don't need to dress up to ride it or even put fins on. Throw rods in holder, cooler and jump in!
you can troll in it and spot fish and drift very well. Finder just piss you off anyways. Use some line to judge depth and there you go. lol Downside is fighting fish while steering is a PITA and you often end up face first in a bush full of banana spiders. Wind can be a PITA too if you can't figure out how to control it which really hasn't been an issue with me yet.

Pontoons are cool if you have a problem with being cramped up and want a standing deck and trolling motor and basically a mini boat. Might even need to register..

Tubes are GREAT weapons for smaller areas and good weapons for mid sized areas too.
If you get the right fins and tube you can really work over an area very good and find more fish the yak and the pontoon will miss. On the downside, the yak and pontoon can find more fish by covering more waters.

I like them all for various reasons. I still have a tube and a kayak and shouldn't have sold my pontoon, but may have one again one day.

They're all a PITA to load up in the car and clean off every trip when you get home any way you look at it. :LOL:

Get a kayak. One easy piece. Easy to clean, throw it in the bed, fast on the water and holds lots of stuff. Either that or a fish cat 4 tube. Those are pretty nice on the water.

tacklejunkie
07-18-2011, 11:02 PM
And who's crying about taking a hit on their pontoon?
I paid $650 for mine, brand new. Then they raised the price on them to $900 before tax.
I still sold it for $400. Even with all the upgrades. Rod holders, wheels, custom 3/4" diamond plate standing deck.

There is no such thing as resale value anymore. Don't buy stuff you plan to sell.