PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Recon w/ my mentor (Carlsbad)

Malosos82
06-19-2011, 05:43 PM
So I went out in the surf for my first time last weekend..I pretty much knew I was going to get skunked but would learn alot. That having been said I had the great idea of inviting my dad out for this morning and asked him if he could show me what was up. I went out solo on Sat from the power plant to the army/navy academy. Got my first ever ocean fish that wasn't on a charter boat. It broke in a rod and an LC and popped my surf cherry =)

That was all she wrote though for Saturday my my spirits were up...
We hit the beach at 6am and were basically alone..I have my waders on and my old school dad is telling me not to bother with the crank and that I'll never catch anything (I had to show him the pic above) I get out in the water and we heaves a blood worm on a 3 ft lead with a 3oz weight with his 10 foot rod out past the breakers. I get about 30 casts in and SNAP...bye bye LC...that bastard easily flew out past the jetty. I figured I'd try the blood worm thing since that was my only LC (I bought another on the way home and 1 of the treble hooks broke and only is a bi hook now..fml) anyways the blood worm thing was pretty cool...

I had to see if they really croak :LOL:

Then came my new PB
and my first BSP
and my dad's best of the day (he got 4 little guys like this to my 2YFC and 1 BSP...we'll call it a draw :Wink:)

Thanks for all the great tips on here I'm having a blast out there in my waders!!!

murrieta angler
06-20-2011, 02:57 PM
Nice to see you out in the surf with your pops...:Smile:
Thanks for the report and pictures,
Robert
<><

p.s. next time grab some sand crabs for the corbina over there...:Wink:

.:LOLLY:.
06-20-2011, 04:31 PM
Congrats on the catch. What better way to spend fathers day than fishing with your dad.
That's really cool

Old school meets new school

5150fishn
06-20-2011, 08:27 PM
Congrats on a fun day on the water. It is great that you shared the water with your pops. Thanks for the report.