PDA

View Full Version : Any boats that supply gear for the day?

fishfish1
06-19-2011, 03:11 PM
Looking to do a day trip out of LA, never gone ocean fishing in my life. Pretty experienced in freshwater trout fishing though.

How does going out on a boat work? Are there any tours that supply the rod, etc, for someone who has never gone ocean fishing before or can you rent it?

Grinches
06-19-2011, 04:18 PM
Landings usually have rental rods from $12-15 dollars

Liteweight
06-19-2011, 07:09 PM
Looking to do a day trip out of LA, never gone ocean fishing in my life. Pretty experienced in freshwater trout fishing though.

How does going out on a boat work? Are there any tours that supply the rod, etc, for someone who has never gone ocean fishing before or can you rent it?

Many landing websites will (for the most part) have all the info. you need if not call up the landing you intend to fish and ask.
LW

CraigH
06-23-2011, 07:40 PM
All the landings I know of rent rods for trips. Basically you pay for and pick up the rod when you pay for the trip at the landing office. I think they come with a few hooks and sinkers, but you may need some other stuff depending on what's biting. The rods have numbers painted somewhere on them that ID's it as your rental rod. The skipper usually gives a few minute talk about whats biting and how to fish for it when the boat first leaves the dock, and the deckhands will show you what to do. Just remember to tip them. Trips are 1/2 day (morning, afternoon, or "twilight" this time of year, 3/4 day (maybe 7AM-4PM), or all day (maybe 5AM-5PM). If you're starting with a half day and have good freshwater bass gear you may not have to rent a rod and reel.