PDA

View Full Version : Lake Isabella 6/15-6/16. A bit late

plumbertom
06-19-2011, 12:51 PM
Couldn't stand it any longer so I ran to Isabella for some crappie. Should have listened to my friend Al who lives in South Lake.
Got there Thursday nite at sun down and tossed out a chunk of cut sardine that I had from mt last trip to Castaic.
Got on ugly cat about 3 lbs. Then settled down to wait for morning.
At sunrise I ran over to Johnsons bay(?) to fish the gates. Caught a small cat on a white crappie jig tipped with Crappie Nibbles and not another bit for over an hours trying.
Ran over to the trees where I did reasonably well last trip and fished for a couple of hours.
Caught several 1 lb size cats on the jig. No Crappie though.
Back around to Kissiack Bay a where the other Gates are and found people fishing the dead stands. there was one not being fished so I tied up to it and suspended my white jig with Nibbles at about 6'. Caught three nice crappie before the wind got going. Got off the water to wait for the next morning.
Wind blew all night long and through the next day but I ran back out and tied up to the same tree even though it was really rough. Caught two good sized crappie and one dink that I tossed back. Also caught a 2 lb. rainbow at the same spot. Couldn't take the beating any longer and by noon the wind was rising even more so I called it a day and headed home.
Too much wind but I had a good time anyway.

Fishin Magician
06-19-2011, 03:26 PM
Glad you got a few anyway. the bite in the south fork has been dying down while the north fork is finally starting to get going. No wind in the forcast for the immediate future but high temps (95+).

plumbertom
06-20-2011, 11:40 AM
I'll be back in a few days for a family camp out up the river. Going to have several grand kids and various great nieces and nephews That are all wanting to try their hand at fishing.
I'll probably have to do most of the help although my brother has just bought a fishing license for this trip. But he's not much of a fisherman and I'll probably have to help him out also.
If you have any suggestions about shore fishing that might help me get these kids on a few fish I'd surely appreciate a PM as this is my first year of fishing at Isabella and have not learned the much about the lake. I have a small john boat that I plan on taking with me but I think mostly I'll have to keep the kids onshore.

Fishin Magician
06-20-2011, 02:21 PM
River is still very fast and high. Be extra careful along the shore. I'd recommend making the kids wear lifejackets anywhere along the riverbank. Trout fishing is only ok with the high and dirty water. I like powerbait (orange glitter or sherbert) and split shot in these conditions. Better if they have something they can see and smell. Most all fish will be tight to the bank and not in the strong current. I'm Going to check out a few other areas for crappie in the next few days. PM me before you head up and I will give you the latest info I have.

plumbertom
06-20-2011, 03:01 PM
River is still very fast and high. Be extra careful along the shore. I'd recommend making the kids wear lifejackets anywhere along the riverbank. Trout fishing is only ok with the high and dirty water. I like powerbait (orange glitter or sherbert) and split shot in these conditions. Better if they have something they can see and smell. Most all fish will be tight to the bank and not in the strong current. I'm Going to check out a few other areas for crappie in the next few days. PM me before you head up and I will give you the latest info I have.
I'll be heading out Wednesday morning. I intend to only allow the kids to fish the lake shore. With the river running at 6000 CFS and higher I don't want them near the water, life vest or otherwise.