PDA

View Full Version : Pontoon with HIN painted?

TheAsianGuy
06-19-2011, 01:32 AM
Hope those who have kayaks and pontoons can help. May be a repeated topic, but having a hard time searching for the right archived article.

Have a pontoon for my boy and myself for the water. Need to know if I am to slap a 40 or 55lbs thrust motor on this baby, how the heck am I suppose to paint on the Hull Identification Number onto the skin of the inflatable pontoon? I tried to research for the paint that can stay on the skin, but unlike the metal or fiberglass rigid structure, the deflating and inflating of the pontoon skin crack most of the paint, and you have to reapply every few months. That will be a freaking pain.

Any insight anyone? Thanks.

evosamurai
06-19-2011, 10:53 AM
there are different types of fabric paint, google it, does the canvas come off, if so maybe you can get number and letter made and iron them on or maybe sew it on

HBAR
06-19-2011, 11:05 AM
I was thinking the same thing IF and when I put the motor on my "toon", what I came up with was to get two pieces of plexy glass big enough for the regulation size letters/numbers somehow connect a hanger of some sort to hang from frame on both sides. Originally I was just going to put the "number plate" inside the bags on "toon" and if stopped would show them to the officer, if he/she said they have to be displayed then I would hang them from the frame.
As for painting them onto the toon's I would say after a few inflate/deflates they might crack off and you'd have to re due it again. At least this way on the number plates if you weren't using them you wouldn't have some numbers on the toon's.

TheAsianGuy
06-19-2011, 11:08 AM
Pontoon canvas is made of denier PVC, which will accomodate any regular or special paint. However, every time it gets deflated, then inflated, the paint surface get warped, chipped, and peeled. The paint that they used to put onto the canvas was used with a specialized heat treated sealer I think. Just wondering if there's any paint that can be used without destroying the PVC canvas material and yet remains on for a long duration of abuses.

TheAsianGuy
06-19-2011, 11:11 AM
I was thinking the same thing IF and when I put the motor on my "toon", what I came up with was to get two pieces of plexy glass big enough for the regulation size letters/numbers somehow connect a hanger of some sort to hang from frame on both sides. Originally I was just going to put the "number plate" inside the bags on "toon" and if stopped would show them to the officer, if he/she said they have to be displayed then I would hang them from the frame.
As for painting them onto the toon's I would say after a few inflate/deflates they might crack off and you'd have to re due it again. At least this way on the number plates if you weren't using them you wouldn't have some numbers on the toon's.

Good suggestion about the plate. However, the regulations from DMV said you must have the HIN painted onto the hull of the boat, both sides, the front portion of the boat. all I can say is..WHAT THE FREAKING NIGHTMARE IS THIS? It's an inflatable..not solid hull like a kayak. I got a 55lbs thrust engine lined up for purchase, but with all this requirement, I might as well toss it in the back burner and stick with man power.

evosamurai
06-19-2011, 11:39 AM
maybe u can print the numbers out on a pc then trace them on some type of fabric or canvas make it a single piece, attach velcro to the craft with some type of adhesive and attach it when your out and take it off when you deflate it

vanillagurilla
06-19-2011, 11:49 AM
Use a rubberized paint, it won't be in a spray can but it will flex with the pvc and not crack.

TheAsianGuy
06-19-2011, 12:01 PM
maybe u can print the numbers out on a pc then trace them on some type of fabric or canvas make it a single piece, attach velcro to the craft with some type of adhesive and attach it when your out and take it off when you deflate it

Thought about that too..but, velcro plus water equals lost sign. Tried industrial velcro in the past on the tubes..no go.

Use a rubberized paint, it won't be in a spray can but it will flex with the pvc and not crack.

Need primer to bind. Primer damages PVC layering since it contains industrial strength alcohol and acid to strip the surface down. My scarred hands are a testimony to such chemical usages. Good suggestion with the paint though.

evosamurai
06-19-2011, 01:49 PM
googled it and looks like the plate idea is the best one people have done that have have been fine

TheAsianGuy
06-19-2011, 02:14 PM
Thanks. Will confirm with DMV contact that I know to make sure. Don't want a nice $75 ticket issued for not following the rule.

evosamurai
06-19-2011, 02:46 PM
yeah check with them i was reading that they understand that its hard to stay on therefore a plate is substantial

HBAR
06-19-2011, 08:37 PM
Thanks. Will confirm with DMV contact that I know to make sure. Don't want a nice $75 ticket issued for not following the rule.

I think there wouldn't be a problem with the plate since this is an inflatable and there is nothing solid to paint on, but yeah check with your contact and post on here so I can do the same.

tacklejunkie
06-20-2011, 07:43 AM
Mount a plate to the side and us CF stickers.
Seen several do this.

TheAsianGuy
06-20-2011, 08:30 AM
Confirmed the info with the DMV. Here's what you should do:

1. When the surface of the boat, in this case the inflatable vehicle, cannot be painted on, alternative signage can be used, either with a hard placard or a peelable sticker visible for identification at least 20 feet away.

2. Positioning of the HIN should be in the first half of the vehicle's body, out of the water, visible at least 20 feet away. When the hull of the boat will not allow the HIN to properly be placed due to the uniqueness of the boat's body (round pontoon shape), an alternate location can be posted such as a location that allow the HIN to be posted. In this case, any where we can mount the HIN.

Okay guys, start making your custom signs that is nice and big enough to see at 20 feet away. That is one freakish size sign for your pontoon.

HBAR
06-20-2011, 10:06 AM
Did your contact happen to say what kind of if any VIN number we had to give? one of my pontoons has a number I'm thinking that's what I would need to put down.

TheAsianGuy
06-20-2011, 11:42 AM
Did your contact happen to say what kind of if any VIN number we had to give? one of my pontoons has a number I'm thinking that's what I would need to put down.

I asked that too. Unless your boat/pontoon has a serial number imprinted onto the frame, then no. If your vehicle is less than $2000, all you need is the original receipt, if there was any. Other wise, register yourself as a new owner using the BOAT101 form from the DMV. I'm filling mine out right now. Plan on getting that massive electric motor for the toon soon.