PDA

View Full Version : BBL 06-18-2011 Slow but beautiful

etaggart
06-18-2011, 01:02 PM
Snuck up last night for an early session morning since the wife had to work in San Diego.

On the water at 5:30 for the sunrise at the far west end. No wind until just after 8am. Beautiful conditions for some targeted fishing. Saw another tuber (yellow tube, not sure if on FNN) but didn't chat much.

I got some small taps but nothing stuck until about 7:45 when I got the only fish of the day (2 pix below). Interesting catch. I cast my purple wooly bugger out pretty far and let it settle while I fixed some other line. All of the sudden I see a trout jump high and my line starts going out. Tightened down and had the fish on. Jumped *THREE* more times!! Not a monster (15") but that was one excited fish. I don't recall catching one before on the drop.

Kept working the area but no more on the fly.

At one point my bobber (powerbait) got a monster hit and started moving away. I set the hook but think I ripped its lip as it was gone.

Once the wind picked up I let it drift me down to Papoose Bay and worked that for a while. Got some nice hits on the fly but none hooked.

Trolled a fly and a kastmaster into the wind all the way back to the rope-line - no action.

Didn't notice whether others were catching. Lots of boats.

I won't be up again until July 9 at the earliest, but I should get a chance to hunt striper in San Luis Forebay the long July 4 weekend.

Cheers all!!!

Eric

Kelster
06-18-2011, 04:32 PM
Big fat belly on that one

INeed2fish
06-18-2011, 10:59 PM
Hey great report. Do you need a lake permit for a float tube or kayak? I would like to take my kayak there but I was wondering if you have to pay? Thanks.:Smile:

fish4life
06-18-2011, 11:03 PM
Wow I have never seen Big Bear Lake so calm ahha. So they were hitting the purple wooly bugger hmmm do the black and green work just as well? How deep were you fishing your flies? I plan on hitting up jenks lake this week so i am trying to plan out my game plan. Got any other tips for fly fishing Big Bear Lake? Thanks again for the fishing report :)

christainmetalhead909
06-18-2011, 11:21 PM
sweet report man, i need to get up there with the tube. ill be there tomorrow with a buddy from shore.

etaggart
06-19-2011, 08:24 AM
@INeed2Fish: $45 for annual BBL lake permit for a tube or kayak. I think $15 for one day. If you're caught on the water without one, you can buy it from lake patrol for cash. Or tell them you launched before 6am and the launches weren't open to buy a permit :)

@fish4life: Purple was the darkest I had - ran out of black. I think they'll hit most anything when they're biting, but many report darker is better. I prefer a gold bead head to give some sinking and action, but others disagree. My best bites lately seem to be moving the fly very steady - no jerking. Others suggest cast-out, let settle to bottom, smooth medium speed retrieve up through the water column - repeat. Let me know how it goes. I'd like to fish with more fly-guys for better tips.

seal
06-19-2011, 09:04 AM
@INeed2Fish: $45 for annual BBL lake permit for a tube or kayak. I think $15 for one day. If you're caught on the water without one, you can buy it from lake patrol for cash. Or tell them you launched before 6am and the launches weren't open to buy a permit :)

@fish4life: Purple was the darkest I had - ran out of black. I think they'll hit most anything when they're biting, but many report darker is better. I prefer a gold bead head to give some sinking and action, but others disagree. My best bites lately seem to be moving the fly very steady - no jerking. Others suggest cast-out, let settle to bottom, smooth medium speed retrieve up through the water column - repeat. Let me know how it goes. I'd like to fish with more fly-guys for better tips.

Black is the best color out at BBL in my opinion, a black matuka with a red head is an excellent fly, we also make a special BBL fly, black bugger with silver flash dubbing that has absolutely killed um out there when nothing else was producing. Full sink line, no beadhead in my opinion (although the silver dubbing fly we put a small silver beadhead on), start stripping early if fish are up in the column troll for a while to let it sink if you want it worked deeper in the water.

I know when I wasn't buying an annual pass I would pay the patrol guys out on the water, but with the inspection deal I'm not sure that it still is ok. Although tubers are kind of on the honor system after the first inspection, no need to be inspected everytime out, also if you've purchased annual passes in the past they send out an application so you can buy the pass and they will send it to you I don't believe in that case you need any inspection, this applies only to float tubes and maybe kayak's, not sure.

stocker
06-19-2011, 09:33 PM
Pink, orange or chartruese tail, black bodied bugger can be deadly. I was getting burnt too much on the fly and decided to use pb for inspiration.