PDA

View Full Version : 6/17/11 Freedom - Boat TRIFECTA

k3vin_kim
06-17-2011, 06:50 PM
Made a spur of the moment decision to jump on the Freedom out of 22nd st landing. My boy RxVenom and I have been talking about this WSB flurry and wanted in on the action. So what better time than the very day that the limits jump from 1 fish to 3 per person.

Met up at the landing at 9 (along with venom's buddy KC). Stood in line to a full boat for 40. While in line, i met another FNN'er - Spit breaker (nice to meet you bro).

me - KC - Venom - Will
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee133/k3vin_kim/DSC03097.jpg

We board and the cap says we're going to do a 2 island run. Clemente in the morning and Catalina in the afternoon.

Woke up at 4:30. The weather was overcast ALL DAY however it wasn't cold. Preferred setup for me was 25# and a 1oz white banana head with a live squirt. 1st fish of the morning was a little 2 pound sheephead - still pink. And a bunch of little calico's. Once the grey light started to show, we made a little move.

Nada here. Skwid got perched to death. After about 30 minutes of small pecks - an older gent got hooked up to something big. It took him around the boat once and they gaffed over a 28 pound Yellowtail. He caught it on the dropper loop.

So i switch to the dropper loop (but it was on my 17# bass rod) and BAM~ my reel start screaming. I knew i had no chance whatever it was... i think it was a batray - but my heart was thumping nonetheless. I leaned back just a tiny bit and *BINK* there went my fish.

I switched over to my 40# setup and tried again. BAM~ again.... this time he wasn't getting away. AND I LANDED HIM~~~~~~~~ a beautiful 25 pound... batray. I was so proud of myself.

okay - enough of this crap. We got spotted by some patrol truck and he turned on his red/blue cop lights. The captain says - he's telling us to pick up and leave. So we make at 30 minute move and grab some breakfast.

This next spot was CRAZY wide open with the calico's. 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 pound whoppers. All you had to do was get into the rotation. Fling over a squid from either side of the boat, let the current take you to the stern and as SOON as you turn the corner to the stern - WHAMO - Calico heaven.

I landed 2 of the nicer grade bass (6 and 7) but released them. KC landed a straight up 9 pounder and let the breeder go (actually Venom and KC let ALL the bass go) - i kept 2 steamer sized ones. TOO MUCH FUN.

By this time it's around noon and the cap gets on the speaker "out of the whole fleet, there's only been 2 WSB caught - we're all still looking around guys - hang in there..."

And we make the 2 hour move to the backside of Cat.

Take a nap.

Wake up.

OK - brand new setting - let's be optimistic here people!! Everyone was napped and refreshed. The time was about 2 in the afternoon. I pinned on a squid and let it sink (8 fathoms).... i took a spot next to venom and kc. We were just chit chatting and goofing around and i feel a quick jerk. (heart thump) - put it into gear with my hand on handle... just waiting... like an old west cowboy in a gunfight waiting to draw... my eyes were fixed on the tip of the rod...

come on... eat it....

come on bro - just eat it...

(tip goes BOUNCE BOUNCE) and i instinctively wind and set. After a little tug of war... i landed a nice flattie.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee133/k3vin_kim/DSC03108.jpg

At this spot, everybody had all but given up on hopes of the ghosts. We were all simply enjoying fishing bass, white fish, cabezon, sargo and all the other assorted little fun stuff.

Oh well, let's make one more stop for desperation alley.

The time was 4pm.

We get the the spot and after 10 minutes - one guy hooked up to a rogue WSB but it got taken by the seal. The cap was on the upper deck telling the newb how to pull it in but the guy just... didn't respond to instruction. We could all see the dog jumping up and over the water surface with his silver flashy dinner - taunting us.

Then 15 minutes later ANOTHER guy gets hooked up and landed a 19# WSB!!! YAY~!!! Good for him. But it seemed like a fluke... until another 2 guys go bendo right next to each other... then 3 were going... oh MAN - THEN 5 guys were going at the same time...

OK it's NOW OR NEVER - EVERYBODY put in their baits all over the boat (we only had 30 minutes of time left) and here and there guys were getting hooked up. One lucky geriatric caught 3!!!

I couldn't throw out my lead head without getting tangled up so Venom and i both dropper looped at the same time. Hit bottom and i hear him GRUNT!!! UGHHHHHH!!!! i was like GET HIM!!!!!

It took him to the bow around the anchor but venom managed to pull the fish back over the anchor and get him gaffed in. NICELY DONE!!

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee133/k3vin_kim/DSC03103.jpg

Unfortunately, we ran out of time and we had to leave them biting. That last 40 minutes i threw everything and the kitchen sink but - me and half the boat just COULD NOT GET BIT. oh well - i guess it just wasn't my turn.

The other half of the boat that DID get theirs - really got a treat.

Me, KC and Will didn't get our fix this trip but hey - that's fishing. Congrats to all the guys that managed to get their croaker!! I'll get mine soon enough.

So at the end of the day, around 28?? WSB were caught, a FAT yellow and 2 halibuts. Close to limits on the checkerboard bass and a variety of assorted.

All in all - it was an outstanding trip!

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee133/k3vin_kim/DSC03106.jpg

kk

Jackpot Jimmy
06-17-2011, 07:20 PM
NICE Kevin! Great job on the halibut!

E.A.R.G.
06-17-2011, 08:14 PM
always a fantastic read Kevin!
I get all into your reports dude its crazy! You've got a talent bro! Keep it up!
I'm sure your season's ghost is coming right around the corner

Which Way Out
06-17-2011, 08:39 PM
Wow :EyePop:

JapanRon
06-17-2011, 08:48 PM
Hi k3vin_kim,

Nice job on the fishys. Excellent report as usual.

JapanRon

BabyKiller
06-17-2011, 09:12 PM
Radical dude. Doncha just love fishing a class act operation? Yellowtail fishing is gonna bust wide in like a week or two. Hooo man; game on!

k3vin_kim
06-17-2011, 10:00 PM
Jimmy
Which way
J-Ron

Thanks for reading fellas!

EARG - I appreciate that bro, that makes me glad that people read the post, the way its supposed to be read. Like a story. I'm confident my croaker is out there right now getting bigger and bigger as I'm typing this.

BK! Whattup broski. I can feel it too - the yt's r coming our way reeeeal soon. U shudda seen the conditions out there - this summer is gonna be the shizzzznit!

rxvenom
06-17-2011, 10:09 PM
So far it was the best trip this year. I just got lucky on this one. The best part was hanging with friends and making memories.
Kevin, we are all practiced up for the dreamer in July. Dream of a WSB this time, instead of a halibut. I can't believe you actually caught what you dreamt.

marzocchi
06-17-2011, 11:06 PM
Nice report. I was suppose to be on this trip with spitbreaker! I probably wouldnt got a wsb anyways. I rather eat the halibut than the wsb. But I would rather catch the wsb than the halibut. :x

k3vin_kim
06-18-2011, 03:21 AM
I can't believe you actually caught what you dreamt.

i don't think anyone will believe me so i'm just gonna stay in my corner here and be quiet.

Always a blast fishing wit u homeboy.

k3vin_kim
06-18-2011, 03:22 AM
I rather eat the halibut than the wsb. But I would rather catch the wsb than the halibut. :x

I couldn't agree with you more marzo!!! lol

but i'd rather fight the YT and eat the YT.

Newfishsmell
06-18-2011, 06:02 AM
Some great play by play there Kev !
And the summer is just beginning .

Great report !

russ88
06-19-2011, 12:09 PM
I fished the freedom on the 17th but didn't see you guys....lol The story is pretty much the same.. SCI in the morning and wide open WSB late in the afternoon. Congrats on the nice Hali... Hope you get your seabass soon.

k3vin_kim
06-19-2011, 01:08 PM
Newfish - I've got a real good feeling about the next few months. YT have already started to make an appearance and something tells me the run'n'gun offshore tuna is gonna bust wide open soon too. Fish that slide boys.

Russ - thanks bro, it's been quite a while since i landed a hal - the filets are still sitting in the freezer... who am i gonna give it to???

k3vin_kim
06-19-2011, 02:59 PM
oh yeah

Here's one of the bass that i released when it went wide open.
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee133/k3vin_kim/DSC03099-1.jpg

Also a beautifully colored cabbie that i kept.
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee133/k3vin_kim/DSC03098.jpg

E.A.R.G.
06-19-2011, 05:47 PM
WHAT THE HECK! Never seen a cabbie that color! thats crazzy!

troutdog
06-20-2011, 12:52 AM
Looked like a great trip, solid report K3V thanks for checking in.

TD

candyman
06-20-2011, 01:09 AM
Great report man I was glued to the screen wondering what was next!

murrieta angler
06-20-2011, 07:48 AM
:Rolls Eyes:Sup Brotha!!
HOLD ON!!!!

Sorry, I was looking for my invite...:Rolls Eyes:
Just messin, plenty of good looking fish Dude!
Had I known you take days off during the week now, I would have gave you a call to head out for some WSB myself.
Where did the YT's go?
How big was the halibut?
Take care Bro,
Robert
<><

k3vin_kim
06-20-2011, 01:20 PM
Right EARG? i was trippin out myself when it came to color - i was like... World record sculpin??

TD
Candyman

Thanks for the positive feedback guys - more to come soon. Dreamer trip is next month.

ROB - what up G!! Yeah sorry bro, it was a total spur of the moment trip thing. I quit my job last week so i was able to jump on the boat in the middle of the week. However i'm starting at a new place July 1st (in fact, i just got back from my interview a minute ago... NAILED IT). We'll get together soon homey. The Hal was a 24 incher - i didn't wanna stand in the group picture with it due to the Bohemoth seabass.

Call me soon man!!

kk