PDA

View Full Version : Heading out for 3/4 day trip out of Newport Landing

River Monster
06-17-2011, 04:32 PM
Hi all,

I will be heading out along next Friday for my first ever deep sea fishing trip out of Newport and was wondering what type of tackle I should be bringing along (sizes of rods, reels, sinkers, hooks, etc). I do do some regular fishing from shore and surf, but I am open to any and all tips that you may have for a first-timer. I will try to borrow some from a friend. Thanks!

kzhlin
06-17-2011, 11:43 PM
You will probably be fishing for some WSB (white sea bass) averaging about 20-25 lbs.

I use my Avet SX with 20# line. You might want to use something heavier. Since it's a 3/4 day trip, you rarely see larger than 25-30# WSB.

Best if you can bring a 20-25# and a 40#.
40# for white-colored yoyo iron. hook 2 squid onto the yoyo.

Egg sinkers. 1/4 oz., 1/2 oz., 1 oz., 2 oz.

Hooks: I use Owner mutu hooks (circle hooks). Size 2/0-3/0.
Many guys use large Owner Aki hooks size 6/0+.
I prefer the smaller hooks. I feel that they work better. I match my hooks to the bait, not the fish.

The boat will most likely be using squid as bait for the wsb.

Rigging: texas rig. egg sinker + hook.
hook the squid on the top. you can double hook it you like (hook through the squid twice)

Good luck,
Kevin

River Monster
06-20-2011, 09:26 AM
You will probably be fishing for some WSB (white sea bass) averaging about 20-25 lbs.

I use my Avet SX with 20# line. You might want to use something heavier. Since it's a 3/4 day trip, you rarely see larger than 25-30# WSB.

Best if you can bring a 20-25# and a 40#.
40# for white-colored yoyo iron. hook 2 squid onto the yoyo.

Egg sinkers. 1/4 oz., 1/2 oz., 1 oz., 2 oz.

Hooks: I use Owner mutu hooks (circle hooks). Size 2/0-3/0.
Many guys use large Owner Aki hooks size 6/0+.
I prefer the smaller hooks. I feel that they work better. I match my hooks to the bait, not the fish.

The boat will most likely be using squid as bait for the wsb.

Rigging: texas rig. egg sinker + hook.
hook the squid on the top. you can double hook it you like (hook through the squid twice)

Good luck,
Kevin

Thanks for the reply Kevin, I've been reading the fish counts lately and it looks like they've mostly been pulling up Sculpin, Sand Dabs, and the occasional Barracuda. Do you have any recommendations for rigs geared to those species? 1 and 2 oz egg sinkers... I've heard of people saying that you need 6-8 ounce sinkers to get to the bottom, so I am a bit confused.