PDA

View Full Version : Yakking in the rain, slow fishing

SeapointFlyGuy
06-16-2011, 04:39 PM
You'd think the fish would have been more appreciative of my efforts to get out in the Huntington Harbor this morning (with my Echo 8-weight flyrod) while it was still raining a little. Only the lizardfish seemed grateful, but some of them were quite large and fought well. I did hook something that spun the reel pretty good and had some serious weight to it, but it was off after that initial run. And one nice spottie, pictured below.

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/9466/001foz.jpg

chino715
06-16-2011, 10:04 PM
That's a pretty sweet spottie :Big Grin:

Jaysuuun
06-16-2011, 10:23 PM
Nice spottie on the fly.

Wingnut
06-17-2011, 11:07 AM
Quality Spottie, nice job. :Cool:
Probably the first I've seen on the fly. :Thumbs Up:

JapanRon
06-17-2011, 05:23 PM
Hi Seapointflyguy,

Nice job there on the effort and fishys.

JapanRon

Fish On 421
06-17-2011, 07:16 PM
Fattie spottie on tha fly nice...

Liteweight
06-19-2011, 04:46 AM
Nice fish on the fly. You using floating or sinking line? Noticed alot of clouser flies used, ever use deceivers, Sar-mul-macs, surf candys', crab patterns?
Does NPH or Huntington ever get a good run of Bonita like Redondo?
Just picked up a new Pro Explorer. Might see you out there sometime.
LW

SeapointFlyGuy
06-19-2011, 12:01 PM
From the kayak I have been using Rio DC24 300 grain line - which is actually a sinking tip / floating line, but it gets down there fairly quickly. It's a good line for the bays. My other favorite line is the Rio Striper 300 grain, an intermediate sinking line with the same fast sinking head.

Never used any of them flies except for surf-candy kind of flies for surf-perch, also I have used some sand-crab patterns in the surf before.

Those harbors get mackeral runs occasionally, but not bonito.

Congrats on the new vessel. I paddle a light-gray Malibu Min-x and will be whipping a flyrod around, if you ever see a person matching that description in HH, NPH, Alamitos Bay, or off the Junipero parking lot in LB it will be me (unless I ever finally pull the trigger on a Hobie peddle-yak).

-Andrew

Ulua1
06-19-2011, 12:55 PM
Nice spottie!

Liteweight
06-19-2011, 06:48 PM
From the kayak I have been using Rio DC24 300 grain line - which is actually a sinking tip / floating line, but it gets down there fairly quickly. It's a good line for the bays. My other favorite line is the Rio Striper 300 grain, an intermediate sinking line with the same fast sinking head.

Never used any of them flies except for surf-candy kind of flies for surf-perch, also I have used some sand-crab patterns in the surf before.

Those harbors get mackeral runs occasionally, but not bonito.

Congrats on the new vessel. I paddle a light-gray Malibu Min-x and will be whipping a flyrod around, if you ever see a person matching that description in HH, NPH, Alamitos Bay, or off the Junipero parking lot in LB it will be me (unless I ever finally pull the trigger on a Hobie peddle-yak).

-Andrew

Thanks for the 411. I'll probably use the shooting heads (Rio Big Boy DC150-300) I use for shad and Striper/Steelhead up north in the Delta.
Was kind of hoping there would be some bonita action there since warmer water circulates up from Baja and would warm up some of the Bays south of MDR/Redondo.
Kind of funny, as I wrote the post last night, I had just come from meeting someone who bought my Gray Mini-X.
Good chance of me heading out to Huntington (headed to OEX) Tues or Wed this week as the temps up here will be
scorchin':!!!: :Rolls Eyes:
I was saving for either an Outback or P/A also but couldn't pass up this Pro Explorer ($550 new) and wanted something bigger for the LJ/Rocky Point, kelpbeds and for outside the breakwaters this year. Maybe next year.