PDA

View Full Version : PB Spotfin

justin oceanside
06-15-2011, 01:04 PM
Skipped out of work early to go fish a spot that has been really productive over the last week or so..went mid day to find the beach crowded so i was forced to fish where ever people weren't. Water was clean and clear, surf probably 2 feet tops...I saw a nice hole that had filled up but there was two kids boogie boarding really close. I was catching alot of perch so everytime I hooked on I brought it in closer and closer to the hole I was trying to get to. Eventually this worked and the kids parents told them to move..I said "oh, no problem I can move..(being the gentleman I am...) but the parents said they were about to leave anyway...nice!!

I threw into this hole and caught five or six nice size BSP in as many cast. Pretty good fishing!! Then I get slammed and my drag takes off running!! I knew it was something good...I was think a white sea bass as i have a caught a few around where I was fishing..and this thing was fighting!! I get the thing in close two or three times to have it burn back out deep. After a good 5 or 6 minutes I finally land it and it was the biggest spotfin I have ever seen. I have caught a dozen or so in my life but all pretty small. I was pumped after the good fish and gave the hole another 30 mins to produce (caught a few more Perch) but couldn't get the Spotfin out of my mind so I headed out to go weigh it. It weiged in at 6.7 LBS and taped at 24 1/2 inches. Personal Best for me!! Took it home and ate it for dinner....I thank you Mr. Spotfin for the fun and for the nutritional value! Probably the best overall fish I have caught from the surf...going to try and do it all over again this afternoon.

bones
06-15-2011, 02:26 PM
Very Nice spotfin you got there.
Keep up the good work. I still have to catch one of those.

murrieta angler
06-15-2011, 02:30 PM
Justin,
Again, that is one fat Spotfin Bro.
I'll see you at the beach...:Cool:
Robert
<><

Wingnut
06-15-2011, 02:34 PM
Damn nice Spotfin Justin, I also haven't tangled with one of those. :Envious:
I'll let ya know before I head down there next time. :Wink:

smokehound
06-15-2011, 03:35 PM
NICE. Wait til you hook a Golden 30+ incher!

Spotfins are our second-largest croakers!

oakboy
06-15-2011, 03:42 PM
Nice Fish Man!! Were you throwing CRACK?

<><
KP

smokehound
06-15-2011, 03:46 PM
Damn nice Spotfin Justin, I also haven't tangled with one of those. :Envious:
I'll let ya know before I head down there next time. :Wink:Spotfins will hit flies, Arthur! Try bringing the flyrod!

Wingnut
06-15-2011, 06:54 PM
Spotfins will hit flies, Arthur! Try bringing the flyrod!

I haven't even caught a Bean on the fly yet... :Neutral:
Might improve my odds if I break out the fly gear more than twice a year. :LOL:

Justin, what were you throwing? :Wink:

iLLest
06-15-2011, 06:59 PM
Dang! Very nice Spotfin. Looks like that hole produced nicely.:Thumbs Up:

DockRat
06-15-2011, 07:17 PM
:Worship: Dude, That thing is huge.
DR

soulsurfer
06-15-2011, 08:48 PM
very nice work J. I've seen some nice ones and yours is right up there with the best of them

justin oceanside
06-16-2011, 12:01 PM
Thanks for all of the comments!!

I caught it using a 2" motor oil red flake grub, c-rigged.

Aurthor, I am up to head north too...

Robert,

sorry I missed you yesterday, I would have been there if I could...

I'll be out of town the next two weekends but will be fishing oceanside and carlsbad in the mornings and/or evenings. Anyone on here is always welcome..if you are in the area let me know!!

Justin

boojoo
06-16-2011, 02:42 PM
Way to you go Justin!! That's a very nice spotfin!! We should meet up together sometime in the surf.
I live in Escondido. Let me know the next time you head out there.

atleasticaughtabuzz
06-16-2011, 04:00 PM
what type of tackle were you using? what can one catch in at oceanside and carlsbad?

Ulua1
06-16-2011, 04:13 PM
Man, Huge Spotfin! Congrats!

Tesserz
06-16-2011, 04:39 PM
Wow, nice one!! :Razz: