PDA

View Full Version : First Legal Of Tha Session!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fish On 421
06-15-2011, 02:16 AM
So me and my younger bro went out butt hunting today at a local spot we go too... So we got out there at bout 7:30 i kind of lagged it today haha... But its all good cause it paided off. First few cast on the LC got a few bumps but no takers. 5 mins into it my bro hooks up a 16inch shortie.. Another 5 mins later i finally hooked up a shortie bout 13inch i was excited then cause i thought the bite was gonna go wide open haha guessed wrong.. The bite went cold for the next 3 hrs. After about 11am the bite started up again.. N it goes wide open for everyone hunting the butt. Everyone hooking up shorties left n right... Threw the LC around wit no bumps finally switched to a drop shot setup good thang i did. After my 3rd cast on the drop shot i got a nice hit set the hook n bamm i knew it was a legal fought it for bout a min pulled out the measure tape 22.8 inch!!!! FIRST LEGAL OF THE YEAR!!! Was excited now so i go n take a picture of it while putting the butt away i looked over to my bro n he goes i got one on!!! I hear it taking drag so we knew it was a good fish, he goes jumping around saying " Dont lose this fish " haha i looked ova n laughed at him after about a min he brought it in n it surfaced it was a Beast of a butt for his first legal ever haha.. 30inchz!!!! After all the excitement of the 30incher the bite goes wide open with alot of shorties coming up from a slow day of fishing everyone around catching butts... 5 mins befor we packed it up i get another hit for a barely legal 22inch..... ALL n all it was a fun n good day of fishing.. OH forgot to add that 30 inch was my bro's first legal ever n his PB not bad for a PB ........

Fish count
Me-2 keepers , 3 shorties
Bro (Dudeyo) - 1 keeper (30 inch first legal n PB) , 1 shortie

DockRat
06-15-2011, 06:54 AM
Holy Macaroni that is a awesome session. WTG on the Halibuts :Worship:
I descambled your background and now know the spot. Thanks :Cool:
DR

murrieta angler
06-15-2011, 08:40 AM
Nice going out there 421,
You and your brother did awesome and that 30" is SWEEET!!!
Thanks for the report and pics,
Robert
<><

Which Way Out
06-15-2011, 09:05 AM
That was you guys? NO worries I won't tell to many people ware the location is.:Envious:

Congrats on your once in a lifetime day. JK,:LOL: I had a day almost like that 2 1/2 years ago and it was down hill ever since until this year.

Thanks for sharing

bones
06-15-2011, 01:51 PM
Very nice job out there and a big congrats to the both of you. Just a bit of advice regarding the keeping of the 22.8 fish. First off.......DFG will measure the white/flat side of the fish which is ALWAYS shorter than running the tape over the curved/top side of the fish. Flatties always shorten up in length as soon as they die also and a fish that is only a little over 22 can get you a big old citation 4 hours later. Trust me!
My very first flattie I ever kept about 6 years ago was 22 1/2" but when I got it home......It had shrunk and was just shy of 22". My roomates called me a poacher for about a month!
A 22" fish is more than likey just going through it's first spawn so my rule of thumb is to never keep a flattie that's under 23" at the least. Not trying to give you a hard time but be carefull out there and go get some more!

DockRat
06-15-2011, 07:13 PM
My roomates called me a poacher for about a month!

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u279/Sell-it-4-you-uk/poachedeggsthumb.jpg
That's not the only thing that shrinks after a session :ROFL:
DR

vuanh1
06-15-2011, 09:35 PM
I must say nice catch guys..

sidified
06-15-2011, 10:37 PM
What you describe is an epic day in any angler's journal...WTG!

Ulua1
06-16-2011, 04:20 PM
Man, looks like you guys had an awesome day! congrats!

Tesserz
06-16-2011, 04:31 PM
Awesome day! I felt the excitement while reading your report. :Razz: Very nice fish!! And a 30 incher, I'm jealous! :Envious: Nice job out there!

Fish On 421
06-16-2011, 09:08 PM
HAHA DR hope to see you there sometime HOLLA!!!!

Fish On 421
06-16-2011, 09:09 PM
Holy Macaroni that is a awesome session. WTG on the Halibuts :Worship:
I descambled your background and now know the spot. Thanks :Cool:
DR

HAHA DR hope to see you there sometime... HOLLA!!!

Fish On 421
06-16-2011, 09:10 PM
Nice going out there 421,
You and your brother did awesome and that 30" is SWEEET!!!
Thanks for the report and pics,
Robert
<><

Thx robert it was a fun day of fishin

Fish On 421
06-16-2011, 09:11 PM
That was you guys? NO worries I won't tell to many people ware the location is.:Envious:

Congrats on your once in a lifetime day. JK,:LOL: I had a day almost like that 2 1/2 years ago and it was down hill ever since until this year.

Thanks for sharing

yupp that was us next time we can chit chat a little n say supp haha see yall around...

Fish On 421
06-16-2011, 09:14 PM
Very nice job out there and a big congrats to the both of you. Just a bit of advice regarding the keeping of the 22.8 fish. First off.......DFG will measure the white/flat side of the fish which is ALWAYS shorter than running the tape over the curved/top side of the fish. Flatties always shorten up in length as soon as they die also and a fish that is only a little over 22 can get you a big old citation 4 hours later. Trust me!
My very first flattie I ever kept about 6 years ago was 22 1/2" but when I got it home......It had shrunk and was just shy of 22". My roomates called me a poacher for about a month!
A 22" fish is more than likey just going through it's first spawn so my rule of thumb is to never keep a flattie that's under 23" at the least. Not trying to give you a hard time but be carefull out there and go get some more!

Thx fo tha advice and new info that i neva knew ill keep that in mind tha next time im out there thatz some good info to know... I just started fishin for halibutt like that n didnt know but im thankful fo peepz like you givin us tha 411 on thangz .. THX again Bones

Fish On 421
06-16-2011, 09:15 PM
BIG THX too all that left a repplyy n tha 411 on DFG!!!!!!!!!

Jaysuuun
06-16-2011, 10:21 PM
Way to stick it out and wait for the larger models to move in. Sounds like an epic day. Congrats on the 30.

Fish On 421
06-17-2011, 07:07 PM
Way to stick it out and wait for the larger models to move in. Sounds like an epic day. Congrats on the 30.

thx jaysun for tha reply yeah it was a pretty epic day it was funn....

Technique
06-17-2011, 10:34 PM
Wow, nice report! The spot is still producing keepers, nice! Oh, thanks for taking the pictures today, really appreciate it. I might go out there Sunday...