PDA

View Full Version : Hanging Anode vs Installing Zinc's

Catalina CD
06-14-2011, 07:42 PM
I recently purchased an aluminum boat, and need to get it ready for the saltwater. Anybody had experience using the hanging "grouper" anodes? How well do these work versus installing zinc anodes. I like the idea of using the hanging anodes since you don't have to drill holes into the bottom of your aluminum boat. Seem much less invasive, and less work to maintain since my boat will be in the water most of the time. The link below shows what I'm questioning. Any feedback would be appreciated :Big Grin:

http://www.amazon.com/Martyr-Alloy-Grouper-Hanging-anode/dp/B001TK98LM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308095975&sr=8-1

dixoncider
06-15-2011, 03:35 PM
Have a stud welded to the transom to mount the zinc..Some things theres is just no getting around..

vanillagurilla
06-15-2011, 03:50 PM
i never had an anode or zinc on my valco, just the zinc on the motor, never had problems. Just rinse it off after using it in the salt.

dixoncider
06-16-2011, 05:38 AM
I think he leaves it in the water at the dingy dock...? Is that correct..

DockRat
06-16-2011, 06:51 AM
i never had an anode or zinc on my valco, just the zinc on the motor, never had problems. Just rinse it off after using it in the salt.

He wants to leave it in the water 24/7 at Cat.

DockRat
06-16-2011, 06:56 AM
Sell it and get a fiberglass boat before it get all oxidized out.

Have a stud welded to the transom to mount the zinc..Some things theres is just no getting around..

Aluminum stud ? Has to be Heli Arc welded. You can't weld stainless or brass to aluminum.

You best get on Google to figure this out.

dixoncider
06-16-2011, 04:51 PM
Lots of boats around with zinc's on them..It's not that big of a deal..I am out on this one now...