PDA

View Full Version : Best fishing line for spinning reels?

Jeremy Wade Jr
06-14-2011, 01:33 AM
Have a pretty sweet setup which i'd like to compensate with some pretty good line, if it's one thing I hate, it is losing a fish because my line broke. I still have nightmares about "the one that got away." I tried compensating my current setup with the best money can buy, Sunline Shooter, until I realized just how terrible fluorocarbon is on spinning reels.. too many knots and twist, it gets irritating when my spinning reel eats up a knot and I cast out without noticing it.. poof' there goes the bait!

just curious what you guys like to use, looking for something with a 8lbs test, quality over quantity, preferably.. thanks!

bassmeister
06-14-2011, 01:49 AM
I've been using p-line flouroclear for the last 5-6 years and swear by it for the strength and for having no memory. I buy the bulk spools from bass pro shop.

mjc89
06-14-2011, 01:52 AM
the izor xxx is pretty good line in my opinion

smokehound
06-14-2011, 08:59 AM
I just use mono. As i always say- Stren original, 6-lb works great for spinning reels..

P.A.W.
06-14-2011, 09:19 AM
I have 2 spinners on the boat 0ne with 6lb mono and 1 with 6lb flouro. It is true that the flouro has a bit less memory but in the end line twist is line twist and it'll get to either of them. You just have to reload fairly often.

Skyler
06-14-2011, 09:55 AM
8 pound power pro ftw. No memory and practically unbreakable.

vanillagurilla
06-14-2011, 10:39 AM
pline cxx, pline floroclear, izorline, ande is good line also and dosnt break the bank. the best strenght your going to find is pline cxx or cuda but cuda isnt igfa cert.

STOPBUGGING
06-15-2011, 02:33 AM
Pline and izor xxx...izor xxx being my firtst choice

gavin310
06-15-2011, 09:59 AM
i personally use izor xxx, but i've used many other lines as well. the ONLY time I've ever had line break is when I had my drag set too tight, or when I was fishing in places where underwater rock or concrete would be rubbing against and fraying my line. you should always have your drag set so there's room for error.

DarkShadow
06-15-2011, 10:31 AM
I like using fluoro for my spinning reels. I haven't strayed away from Sunline Metan Shooter. The 2, 3, 3.5 and 4# test are pretty awesome.

TaperSteve
06-15-2011, 10:54 AM
Izorline 4 sure!

TS

Jeremy Wade Jr
06-15-2011, 08:35 PM
I like using fluoro for my spinning reels. I haven't strayed away from Sunline Metan Shooter. The 2, 3, 3.5 and 4# test are pretty awesome.

I've used Sunline FC Sniper with a 4# test. Didn't have any problems in that range with line and twist, but also tried it in the 7# range.. same line and twist as described in my first post.. I think the problem persist at 6#.

Just spooled one reel with 4# fluroclear.. (love it) and the other with p-line cxx 8#.. not as smooth casting but strong as hell.. got caught on a rock today, didn't break my line, but bent my hook pretty good.. strong stuff for sure, it feels like FC, so far no line twist.. crossing my fingers.

shy_boxer
06-21-2011, 01:30 AM
From my experience the following are my choices of line to use period.

Izor XXX
best bang for your buck

Seaguar fluorocarbon
Best bang for your buck fluorocarbon

Toray or sunline
Best fluorocarbon

Braid
Izor

Nessie Hunter
06-21-2011, 07:20 AM
If your getting that line twist on a specific rig, it may not be the lines fault!!
Getting line on a spinning reel is sometimes a chore that turns ugly fast..
Make sure it goes on without a twist.

If you crank a spinning reel while drag is being pulled, it will twist up like a snake... Never crank while drag is being pulled..
Also a spinning bait will twist it up FAST, Drop shot coming up fast will spin like crazy....
Always close the bail by hand and make sure a loop isnt caught in the spool... Make it a habit. Works for me, I do a lot of light Finesse stuff and it helps a ton...

Take off the baits and pull out 50++ yards, Easy on a boat to troll it out, then wind it back in slowly...
Or walk it out (the empty line) then reel it in while pinched between fingers......

Keeping the twist out is the key....

Izor XXX is very good stuff... Pline is to stiff with to much memory for my taste...
I use a lot of Cuda in 2# to 8#.. Hard to find though...

tacklejunkie
06-21-2011, 11:20 AM
They just started in with Sunline at bass pro.
When they go mainstream it will be time to switch. :mad:

Personally I have never used the stuff but it wasn't much more expensive than the best I have used which is Seaguar Invisex. I'll try it (Sunlline) when I can. I want some 3lb :Razz:
I read that line is IGFA (whatever that means) certified to break like a hair before 3lbs.

When I'm in a pinch I use the blue box Berkley Vanish (not "Transitions") from walmart with good results but I change it out often cause I use it up fast.

All my baitcasters sport Ande Mono right now. Ocean line.
Seems to stay somewhat slick coating to me for some reason for a while.

DarkShadow
06-21-2011, 01:55 PM
They just started in with Sunline at bass pro.
When they go mainstream it will be time to switch. :mad:

Yeah, although I highly doubt Bass Pro would carry anything on Sunline's high end. I'd love to see the expression MOST fisherman would have when they see 100 yards of 'fishin' string' going for $40. (Although Bass Pro is where I picked up A LOT of MegaBass hardbaits when they went on Clearance because there was NO WAY in hell Bass Pro consumers would pick up a $30 jerkbait. Vision 110 for $15.99 on clearance? I'll take it.)

Without even seeing their stock, I guarantee they only stock only 2 of them

1. "Super Fluoro" which I heard is the Japanese version of Berkley's ever wonderful "Vanish" flouro, i.e. Don't Buy It. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come for Sunline.

2. Super Mono, which is actually pretty decent. If you're used to fishing US lines, go with the higher test, as the line is extremely thin.

Stormcrow
06-21-2011, 02:06 PM
Put 15lb braid on it then Albright Knot yourself about 5 feet of Sunline Shooter 6lb flouro....

Problems solved :-)

tacklejunkie
06-21-2011, 02:30 PM
Lol that's how I got my Ito
BPS overstock!

At least they have smelly jelly and those chatterbait things that don't work.

Whatever sunline it was, was $22-$26 a box.
Red label, 3lb etc etc
Didn't look further, I was buying baits and reels.

LGHT
07-07-2011, 05:03 PM
Where do you guys buy stuff from online? I don't have any shops close buy and usually go to bass pro shops and order stuff online.

Bassnman Mike
07-07-2011, 05:32 PM
Best Fluorocarbon line for spinning reels is without a doubt, Sunline FC Biwako Guide Special. The stuff is specifically made for spinning reels.

Where do you guys buy stuff from online? I don't have any shops close buy and usually go to bass pro shops and order stuff online.

Thats an easy one, either Tackle Warehouse or Bass Tackle Depot. Both offer free shipping on orders over $50.00

Ultralight
07-08-2011, 12:19 AM
I suggest you test out the new Berkley Nanofil. I thought it was a gimmick when announced but believe that it is the thinnest line ever made for the break strength. What it gives up in transparency, it makes up in being much thinner. I think overall visibility is probably as good or better than normal lines.

UL

tacklejunkie
07-08-2011, 06:38 AM
Wouldn't mind checking that stuff out.
Berkley stuff is only so gimmicky before it actually does work.
They haven't really let me down yet accept for that Vanish Transitions crap that's stiff as a board and brittle as some peanut brittle.

I do like normal Blue box Vanish though. If it's a fresh spool of vanish 4-6lb on my spinning reel I can trust it for sure.

Still seaguar is noticeably better just when you remove it from the box before you even get to fishing it.

LGHT
07-08-2011, 08:18 AM
Thats an easy one, either Tackle Warehouse or Bass Tackle Depot. Both offer free shipping on orders over $50.00

Thanks for the help. They seem to have all the products listed and not just 1 options from each manufacturer.

DarkShadow
07-08-2011, 08:43 AM
I suggest you test out the new Berkley Nanofil. I thought it was a gimmick when announced but believe that it is the thinnest line ever made for the break strength. What it gives up in transparency, it makes up in being much thinner. I think overall visibility is probably as good or better than normal lines.

UL

Too bad it floats. Any bottom bouncing applications, and you have a big bow in your line.

LGHT
07-08-2011, 08:49 AM
Sorry if this is a silly questions, but this is my first freshwater fishing season after fishing salt for several years. I'm learning it's more of an "art" then just finding a patty tossing bait, and pulling for the fish in. As a result it's been both frustrating and relaxing at the same time.

I basically went out and spooled my reels with either 4 for light and 8 line. I figured 4 is light enough for trout and 8 heavy enough for bass / cats. If I used all braid is that going to be a problem when fishing for different fish?

I have been successful getting trout and cats by casting into the deeper parts of the lake and letting the bait soak. Even with a 5' leader wouldn't the fish still pick up on the braid and be weary of the line?

Also does braid reduce the ability to cast far? I would love to have a good thick heavy line to count on, but the guy at the tackle shop said it's overkill and should never be used unless your going after large fish like sturgeon.

Dude47
07-08-2011, 08:58 AM
Sounds like overkill to me.

For bass I have 8lb P line flouro on one pole and 8lb seager flouro on another. Mostly because the p line was half the price and I wanted to try it. I found that the seager has absolutly no memery at all and I can actually cast it father than the P line. Just have to suck up and spend the $17-19 on the line though. But man it is worth it. I just follow the rule that every 5-8 fish I cut and retie my hook so the line doesnt get to torn up and I have never lost a fish yet.