PDA

View Full Version : Good croaker action in Long Beach this morning.

SeapointFlyGuy
06-13-2011, 05:11 PM
When out at 9:00, planned on getting in a quick two hours, next thing I know it’s almost 1:00. Good fishing walking the shoreline in Belmont Shores with the flyrod.

• Temple Forks Outfitters 8-weight Ticr-X
• Rio Outbound Short Intermediate line
• About a 10-foot leader with the last 3 feet being 6-pound Maxima
• Clouser flies on #6 hook, three different color schemes, didn’t seem to matter

Got into two different YFC holes about 100 yards apart from each other, one of them was in a trench that was a very short cast from dry sand. These fish are great on the flyrod, real hard pullers, nice strong fat foot-longers. Conditions were calm and serene, no waves or wind to speak of, and I was south of the pier where there are usually shorebreakers.

That guy in the float tube was doing the spin-fish-jigging thing and he was doing well too. Three times when I glanced at him he had fish on. My count:

• 6 YFC
• 2 Pancake-buts
• 1 Queenfish

…landed, plus at least a half-dozen other hookups including the fish of the day which broke my heart when he came unbuttoned. (Something heavy with big headshakes. He surfaced once, quickly, I thought I flashed on a monster sandbass but he could have been a legal halibut in camo mode. I had to hand-strip him because he made the first run towards the beach, then I lost him on the subsequent run out when the fly pulled out. Wasn’t hooked great I guess, I probably applied to much pressure on the run, and I use barbless hooks).

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/9287/lbcdaytrash001.jpg
http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/7159/lbcdaytrash003.jpg

Which Way Out
06-13-2011, 06:07 PM
The old Fly rod gets em every time. I've done it a few times myself in the salt but have never given it the time needed to get good.
Thanks for the report. Now put some barbs on and show us a huge legal soon.:Razz:

Ulua1
06-13-2011, 07:08 PM
Sounds like a fun day, Congrats! thanks for the report

Wingnut
06-13-2011, 07:23 PM
Very nice... too bad about the one that came unbuttoned, sounded like a Flat one to me. :Neutral:
Lots of fun bringing in that legal on the fly gear, exhilarating. :Big Grin:
Been too long since I picked up my fly rod and hit the surf. :Wink:

Oban
06-13-2011, 07:45 PM
Great report, amazing fish. Hopefully next time you can land the big one!

I've been wanting to get out in the surf with a flyrod. Tied up a few clousers and surf bugs, but havent made it out yet. this report has me determined to get out there now :)

Jaysuuun
06-13-2011, 10:18 PM
It's always cool to watch people fly fish the surf. Tried it a few times, but it always ended in frustration. LOL Nice going out there.

murrieta angler
06-14-2011, 08:11 AM
Cool Fly Report FLYGUY!!!
Robert
<><