PDA

View Full Version : Cooking sardines? please help =\

smokehound
08-09-2007, 12:19 PM
I was just curious, do any of you guys keep sardines for food?

I always loved canned sardines, but i read that fresh sardines are much more delicious.

And be assured that i used google for sardine info, but got nothing really useful.. mostly just vague comments.. some sources say remove the backbone, others say all the bones are edible..

The canned sardines i get have their spines still inside.. But im still unsure.. Can someone help me out here? *stabs google*

xahx
08-09-2007, 02:09 PM
is this like your left over live bait?

farmacist
08-09-2007, 02:26 PM
In google try 'Emeril+sardine recipe'
I just happened to see it on TV a couple weeks ago.

smokehound
08-09-2007, 02:35 PM
is this like your left over live bait? :rofl:

Heavens, no!

Im talking about huge sardines. Lots of em at huntington right now..

hmm.. emerills sardine recipe.. gotta check that out. Thanks!

Oh wait.. what the.. its not telling me to cook them.. WEIRD. I'll just look for a cooked sardine recipe =\

Thanks for the help though!

farmacist
08-09-2007, 03:09 PM
On the show, he grilled them whole w/ olive oil, salt & pepper.

Z-TUNAKILLER
08-10-2007, 02:11 PM
farmacist wrote:

Heavens, no!

I'm talking about huge sardines. Lots of em at huntington right now..

Hey Now farmacist, i'd check to find out if the dines off the coast of socal aren't full of pollinates and not good to eat, i remember reading a post a while back, it was a warning not to eat any fish/dines/anchovy/squid off the coast of socal?

I personally try only to eat the fish in waters west of Catalina.

Z

FISH ON !

Z-TUNAKILLER
08-10-2007, 02:27 PM
SORRY, smokehound wrote............:lol: .......DEE DEE DDEEEEEE!

Odium
08-10-2007, 02:43 PM
http://recipes.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Cate ... ne_Recipes (http://recipes.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Category:Sardine_Recipes)

quick search online
not really cooking as much as preparing sardines

Granny Fish
08-10-2007, 11:50 PM
Why cook them? They make great bait. 8) Look at T.O's post.

Big sardines = big cats! :shock:

one_leg
08-10-2007, 11:53 PM
farmacist wrote:

Heavens, no!

I'm talking about huge sardines. Lots of em at huntington right now..

Hey Now farmacist, i'd check to find out if the dines off the coast of socal aren't full of pollinates and not good to eat, i remember reading a post a while back, it was a warning not to eat any fish/dines/anchovy/squid off the coast of socal?

I personally try only to eat the fish in waters west of Catalina.

Z

FISH ON !

What the heck is a pollinate? I'm stumped.

One_Leg

Z-TUNAKILLER
08-11-2007, 02:32 PM
One_Leg........... :lol:

:bang:

:roll: SPELL CHECK .................pollutants!

DEE DEE DEE

Z :thumb:

fishhead
08-12-2007, 10:23 AM
head and gut..dip in egg/roll in cornmeal..fry..fantastic..

gnfshn
08-12-2007, 06:20 PM
should save them for the upcoming lobster season. or catfish

gnfshn
08-12-2007, 06:21 PM
should save them for the upcoming lobster season. or catfish

smokehound
08-12-2007, 09:10 PM
should save them for the upcoming lobster season. or catfishhahaha ive got enough mackerel for that! Wow.. anyone need some? Hahahaha. Im gonna hit up irvine in a few weeks.. gonna go for the big blue in one of those little tinfoil boats. :lol:

It's anchovies that are unsafe to eat. Sardines are fine :)

ghetto dad
08-12-2007, 09:13 PM
i think all fish on our coast are polluted and contaminated... :cry: good luck on the recipe man!!

sansou
08-13-2007, 07:51 AM
Sardines: I used to love eating them when I was younger....however, after moving to San Diego and fishing with them, I can't stand to eat them unless they're in a tin and slathered with spicy tomato sauce. Same goes for mackerel!

My mom used to cook them by slightly scaling them, gutting them, and then dusting them in flour. She would then saute or pan fry them in canola or sunflower oil and adding a clove of garlic to the oil. That simple!

one_leg
08-13-2007, 02:00 PM
Sardines: I used to love eating them when I was younger....however, after moving to San Diego and fishing with them, I can't stand to eat them unless they're in a tin and slathered with spicy tomato sauce. Same goes for mackerel!

My mom used to cook them by slightly scaling them, gutting them, and then dusting them in flour. She would then saute or pan fry them in canola or sunflower oil and adding a clove of garlic to the oil. That simple!

Mine did that too. Really tasty.

My Dad and I used to eat the sardines in olive oil.

My favorite were the tomato ones.

One_Leg