PDA

View Full Version : Lead core fishing Info.

DrePSP
06-13-2011, 09:04 AM
This Last weekend (6-11/12) my 10 year old daughter won the biggest trout caught for 16 year old and younger at the Big Bear Lake 50k derby. with 2.1 pounder.
she picked up a new trolling rod/reel combo from shakespeare.
It is a 6'6" medium action rod 10-17lb , CA1166-1M. With arsenal reel AR20GR. they said it has 18lb lead core on it.
I don’t know what brand or how much backing on it. Over all Its a pretty sweet set up.
I use divers and do VERY well. So this Lead core is new to me.
Looking for information on how to troll for trout with this set up. How deep does 10 yards get me at 2+/-mph. how much and what kind of leader to use? how will differetn tackle affect it. whatever you can think of... I would like to know. Any info will be much appreciated.
Also, I want to use this set up for stripers at Silverwood or whatever Lake I can get with my 2 stroke. SO I need info on that too please.
Thank you
http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss46/Andrepdx/kyswinner.jpg

billy b
06-13-2011, 09:30 AM
First of all ... is she a Beavs fan ... as in Corvalis ... as in Benton County Black Bandits of old? If so, can't help you (won't). J/K

Usually we string up about 10-30 feet of leader on to the end of the lead core. 6-10# is pretty much the norm. I'd use 6 at BBL ... but maybe bigger if you're going after the zebras. I troll at a "brisk walking pace" (hold up your finger in front of you ... with the shoreline in the background). Most people figure each color is worth 5 feet of depth. Remember ... number of colors is measured by how many are below the water line ... not off the reel or out the guides ... but in the water.

I believe there are some posts on using lead core in the tips section ... and do a search also. Good luck! And congrats! Love to see the cuties catch the fish ... and win the prizes. That's a purdy fish too!

DrePSP
06-13-2011, 12:51 PM
Thanks Billy.
She is kind of beavers fan. she wanted black and orange instead of yellow and green.. I am an oregon native and love my ducks and beavers.......I know I should only like one. But I partied with college buddies at both universities and its only football oregon has. So.
I did not know about the line color in water. makes sense now. And the leader. I would not have guessed over 10'. Think ill hook it up with 8lb. few weeks ago I lost a fish with 10lb line while trolling BBL.

greenbean
06-15-2011, 12:10 AM
Lead core is usually trolled @ 2-3 knots. At that speed it drops about 5 feet per color as stated by billy b.
Try putting on flasher rigs similar to a Ford Fender or Dave Davies with about 6' of 6lb leader and tie a fire tiger Needlefish on the end.

Geraldlim
06-15-2011, 06:43 AM
http://acplugs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1866
At 1 MPH, trolled in a straight line, 18 pound lead core will sink 10 feet per color.
At 2 MPH as MOrlicky said the sink rate is 5 feet per color.
At 2.5 MPH you'll get 4 feet per color.
And at 3 MPH or more, you will get 3 feet per color.

billy b
06-15-2011, 11:26 AM
Fire Tiger is always a winning color in any of the lures.

Try the Metallic Perch ... Rainbow ... Bikini - white - silver- and also the gold ... Be sure and experiment with the #1 sizes earlier in the year. Some of my best fishing was the #1 in Metallic Perch and the Rainbow

Don't forget TBuoyants in the Red Gold (the mottled finish ... and the shiny brass)

Some people only tie on 10 feet of leader FWIW. Some also tie on 20-25 feet of 10-12 lb ... and then add the tiniest of swivels without the clamp-latching half ... and then they can use different leader weights. The tiny swivel will usually get through the eyes of your rod ... or just tie on a leader that is the length of your rod so you can wind in your like up to the last 5-7 feet. Hope that makes sense

DrePSP
06-15-2011, 06:56 PM
Thank you guys,
Billy B. that makes sense. I took the new pole out today and played with it in the garage. I think it has about 25feet of clear 10lb. (what is FWIW)
I think I will put on something litte heavier in case I want to use it for stripers. I will definetly use the tini swivel as you suggest so that way I can have a nice 6' leader of ligher weight.
can't wait to try some of the kids new needle fish and rapals that she won.
she got 5 needle fish. UV1600-1604. My buddy is begging me to take the boat out and try it out.
what is TBuoyants?
any of you ever try kwikfish from luhr jensen?

DrePSP
06-25-2011, 09:31 AM
Well I finally took the boat out yesterday with my daughter her cousin and my buddy to try out that new lead core set up. she fished 1, then 2 and 2.5 colors out on her pole with a needle fish and no hits. my buddy using a rainbow panther with a diver,snubber and 6ft leader at 15ft caught 3. one keeper and 2 smaller ones we let go. I ended catching a nice big one with a diver and same set up at about 25ft but with a wedding ring. We gave up trolling after few hoursand anchored the boat where we ran across a school fish while trolling earlier. took out the ligh action rods and tied on size 12 trouble hooks with power bait. gave our selves good 3ft leaders and used a split shot. then we just dropped over the sides at different depths 15-30 ft.
let just say we all limited out in matter of 2 hours. there were only couple of nibbles. most fish swallowed the bait..... they hit it on the run and I lost at least 6 hooks in their bellies. good times to day that started out slow.

diamondbear
06-25-2011, 03:30 PM
Right now the troll is at 4 colors in the middle of lk. between metcalf and boulder with lead line and a dick nite spoon . OR ANYWHERE ELSE as the bite is so good , ha

DrePSP
06-25-2011, 04:06 PM
I dont know diamond bear. We had it covered from 5'to 25' and only caught 4. I did try variety of colors and things. but sometimes it just happens. When the bite is good for me, I've landed 20 fish in less then 5 hours by my self on 2 rods. Just not yesterday. what color of dick nite spoon?
The lead line thing, its my girls new pole and she wanted to try things on her own and I let her make her own decisions. She caught the wining trout by doing what she wanted with her very first cast with in the first 30 seconds of the derby. And she chose the right color power bait yesterday that they were biting on.

TroutOnly
06-26-2011, 08:15 AM
silver and bronze big bear beer can flashers with a crawler ,you will catch bigger fish,an old man from up there taught me that trick a long time ago and it works for the big fish,,,,,,,,,,,,,,T/O,,,,,,,,,,,,

DrePSP
06-26-2011, 09:20 AM
OK TO. I have used a small dodger before and had some on and off luck with it. Maybe ill have to invest in the beer can flasher. you use a real crawler or a little plastic ones from berkley?

billy b
07-02-2011, 04:16 PM
Sorry to be slow to reply ... went on business and vacation trip to midwest.

FWIW ... For What It's Worth
TBuoyants of TBouys ... or TBoys ... are Thomas Buoyant lures. THe most popular are the red and gold mottled finish ... and the red with shiny gold finish. But don't forget to try the perch, fire tiger, and the blue up at BBL