PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid 6-11

661Bass'n
06-13-2011, 08:56 AM
So, ended up going to Pyramid for Striper's instead of making the drive out to Perris for BGs. The main reason was I had 4 kids that really wanted to get yanked around the lake on a tube...and making that drive to Perris probably wouldn't have been the best idea...lol
Anyways, picked up some Crawlers and Anchovies in Castaic and hit lake just about 7:30. Made our way to eastern portion of the Island and drop anchor in about 50ft of water. Long story short, made our way to different parts of the chumash Island and about 10:30, kids where restless and decided to pull up the lines and let them get behind the boat, wind had picked up by this time anyways...about noon, moved into Lost Mine to fish for LMBs and through a spinner bait, and hooked up with my only catch of the day. So, in the end I guess it wasn't a total loss...
I have determined that I have no clue how to fish for striper's....so, I will have to keep trying....any help would be great..

SDDave
06-13-2011, 09:31 AM
Well no skunk at least and you got to spend some Dad time with the kids, I was there Saturday and the wind was ripping and the lake lice was thick, I can give you some tips on getting on the stripers, I've been finding them shallow, the bass and trout, specially trout have been hitting real hard. Give me a call, I try and give you some tips, but there's nothing like being there to show someone, Dave

661Bass'n
06-13-2011, 09:57 AM
Thanks Dave, I will keep that in mind.

fishinone
06-13-2011, 11:17 AM
I'll try to give you some striper fishing tips. I hope it will help.

Use lighter lines with soft tips on poles that you won't hold in your hand. I like super line and graphite poles for the poles that I hold on to. Your standard rig should be a slip sinker rig with the lightest egg sinker that will work depending on the days conditions. Use leaders made from 4 to 6 pound flourocarbon, 18 to 36 inches long with light wire live bait hooks, like Owner Mosquito Hooks. Make the leaders longer as the fish get more finicky or switch to live lining (just your line and a hook).

Use your fish finder to locate concentrations of fish. Concentrations of active fish are better. (The fish marks with fish symbols turned off should be crossing each other up and down.)

Anchor up so that your over the school. I like to use 2 anchors and pull them taught to hold the boat as still as possible. If the school moves and doesn't return soon after you set anchor, you should start looking again.

Set your baits just above the fish. If there is a concentration of fish just below 24 feet set your bait, not the sinker, at 23 feet. I measure my bait down with swings of my rod tip by hanging the bait so that it just touches the surface with my rod tip held high, holding the line as I swing my tip down then releasing the line, swinging the tip back up, etc.. Different rods measure different sweep lengths. Often I see my bait and sinker on my fish finder. With practice I'm able to hit the depth I want with no trouble.

Bait is really important.

Usually they like the freshest sardines or anchovies that you can get. ( I don't like anchovies because they seem to come off the hook easier than sardines.) Fresh dead bait is usually really good, but by fresh, I mean the bait in the best condition. I think they prefer great frozen over pretty good fresh dead. The best bait doesn't have blood or brown oil in the bottom of the bag or on the surface of the fish.

I keep my bait in a cooler with a bag of ice on top of it.

At times they want old bait, so bring the old bait out of your freezer, it can't hurt to have it.

They also like other baits, like night crawlers or bloodworms, better on some days.

:Secret:Don't tell anybody!:Secret:

No seriously!

Help us to get most of those little striper out of the lake!

661Bass'n
06-13-2011, 01:45 PM
@ fishinone thanks for the info...that is great stuff! I was using a drop shot rig and carolina set up, with the eggs sinker, but I was only using like 8-12" leader. And I was fishing on the bottom.....I may just go try my luck today at Castaic if I can get my excited about it....lol she really wants to hook up a striper!!

fishinone
06-13-2011, 06:01 PM
@ fishinone thanks for the info...that is great stuff! I was using a drop shot rig and carolina set up, with the eggs sinker, but I was only using like 8-12" leader. And I was fishing on the bottom.....I may just go try my luck today at Castaic if I can get my excited about it....lol she really wants to hook up a striper!!

Good luck! Let us know how you did.