PDA

View Full Version : King of Cats Kickoff Qualifier 2011! (Report)

TaperSteve
06-12-2011, 09:49 PM
With June 11th being my Wifes B-Day I knew I had alot of begging and some careful tip-toe'ing to do if I was to get the OK to fish the qualifier. I got the go ahead to fish in the am so I was out the door and off to the lake by 5am.

The crowd was light so I had my boat launched and on the water by 6:15am. I picked Josh up at the boat slip dock shortly after that and off we were headed to one of my "secret" catfish spots.

Here's a pic I snapped shortly after launching.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y223/TaperSteve/6-11-11/DSCF0009.jpg

The 1st spot wasn't producing so we moved on to another one of my "secret" catfish spots. Didn't take long for this spot to produce my 1st cat of the season.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y223/TaperSteve/6-11-11/DSCF0011.jpg

About 30 mins later I landed my 2nd cat of the day!
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y223/TaperSteve/6-11-11/DSCF0012.jpg

After that Josh and I each had a couple short bites that didnt stick. We moved around to a couple more spots but couldn't find anymore action so I decided to head home around 12:30pm to take my Wife out to dinner for her B-Day. Before leaving I called home and after some more begging and tip-toe'ing I got the OK to leave my boat so I could return after dinner and fish at night when the bite'd surely be RED H0T!!!

So after din' din' I returned to the lake just as the sun was setting over the horizon. I motored out to my "secret" spot that produced the 2 cats earlier in the day. As I pulled up I could see Josh and Hitts were there in a rental as-well-as 2quick and BigDaddy in another boat. I pulled up beside them, set anchor, and threw out my 2 lines. Ahh Josh you told! :Angry: L0L!!! J/K!!!

Again it didn't take long and my clicker was screaming away! The action was WFO right from the get-go and about 45 mins later I was limited out with a 4lb 14oz cat being my top fish.

I headed in to weigh-in my fish and hangout 'til the scales closed. I was just hoping to make the top 10 and qualify for the King of Cats but I was sooo electrified when the scales closed and the results were read with my cat coming in a respectable 3rd place good for $192!

Here's a pic of my limit at the end of the night!
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y223/TaperSteve/6-11-11/DSCF0024.jpg

Everything caught today was on fresh cut mackeral soaked in Bite-On Cajun!
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y223/TaperSteve/6-11-11/DSCF0027.jpg

What a way to kickoff the 2011 catfish season! Now the pressure is off and I don't have to worry about qualifying for the KOTC. This is sure to be an amazing summer of good times and great fishing at my favorite lake, the Vine! I hope to see ya'll out on the water this summer!

:Dancing Banana::Dancing Banana::Dancing Banana:

TaperSteve

*UPDATE*
Come join us next month on July 23rd for the Catfish Co-op 2! Last years Catfish Co-op was a ton of fun. Hope to see ya'll there for some more good times and great fishing at my favorite lake, the Vine!
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?56385-CatFish-Co-Op-2-!-July-23rd-Irvine-Lake!
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y223/TaperSteve/CatfishCoop2.png

M@M
06-12-2011, 09:54 PM
Congrats! nothing wrong with a place in the top Three!

Hometown
06-12-2011, 10:42 PM
way to go Steve I need to work on qualifying since I was out of town for the first one.

troutdog
06-12-2011, 11:52 PM
Qualifying right out of the gates, kinda makes up for last year's frustration...the Vine gods must think you have paid your dues "taper-padawn". Your wife is more than cool for letting giving you the thumbs up on her b-day, you are brave just for asking! Congrats Steve, looks like bait and gas are taken care of for the season! :LOL:

TD

Thisfool
06-13-2011, 12:14 AM
damn steve all your hard work and never say never attitude during the trout season paid off first turrny of the cats.

way to go man your making your self into a legend at the vine

karalm
06-13-2011, 05:28 AM
Steve,
You continue to impress in your knowledge and capture of multi-species in the lake. I stongly suggest you start guiding and get all your fishing free or guys like us will never take the top spots in these vine tournies (:-) !!

Josh
06-13-2011, 07:46 AM
again, congrats man. It was well earned.

5150fishn
06-13-2011, 09:34 AM
Nicely done Steve. It appears that no species of fish are safe at the Vine with you on the water. 1st tourney qualifier! Well done bro.

TaperSteve
06-13-2011, 06:56 PM
again, congrats man. It was well earned.

Thanx Josh it was awesome fishing with ya as always!

way to go Steve I need to work on qualifying since I was out of town for the first one.

GL on qualifying and I hope to see ya at the next tourney!

Qualifying right out of the gates, kinda makes up for last year's frustration...the Vine gods must think you have paid your dues "taper-padawn". Your wife is more than cool for letting giving you the thumbs up on her b-day, you are brave just for asking! Congrats Steve, looks like bait and gas are taken care of for the season! :LOL:

TD

Def lucky my Wife let me outta the house! She did end up getting most my winnings (minus $20 I gave to my Daughter) as a bonus late B-Day present.

damn steve all your hard work and never say never attitude during the trout season paid off first turrny of the cats.

way to go man your making your self into a legend at the vine

The Vine is def my favorite lake and it'd be an honor to ever be considered a legend of that lake by anyone!

Steve,
You continue to impress in your knowledge and capture of multi-species in the lake. I stongly suggest you start guiding and get all your fishing free or guys like us will never take the top spots in these vine tournies (:-) !!

It'd be a dream of mine to one day start a guide service. If I had the money to invest i'd def be considering it sooner then later. Maybe in the next 5-10 years?

Nicely done Steve. It appears that no species of fish are safe at the Vine with you on the water. 1st tourney qualifier! Well done bro.

Thanx Dan! I hope to see ya out on the water soon!

Thanx for the positive vibes/replies! - M@M

TS

Hitts0n
06-13-2011, 07:11 PM
I'm glad you kept fishing instead of weighing in early. Limits !
Great night.Next time I want to be on a toon so I can S.D.C !
Fresh mack defin the key!Where's that watermelon salsa by the way?
See you next weekend brotha !! Congrats !!

OC ANGLER
06-14-2011, 02:37 AM
Good Stuff ! Ill be trying my luck this whole weekend . from friday morn until Sunday eve ...

Do you guys know if the Vine sales Mack ? do you know a local spot that does ?

TaperSteve
06-14-2011, 07:18 AM
The Vine does sell mac!

TS

Josh
06-15-2011, 09:18 AM
Good Stuff ! Ill be trying my luck this whole weekend . from friday morn until Sunday eve ...

Do you guys know if the Vine sales Mack ? do you know a local spot that does ?

if you have a rod you can use from a pier you can go to balboa or any pier and catch some fresh mackerel. Went last night and within 2 hours had 20-30 sardines and 20-30 mackerel. Just get a sabiki rig, small weight and some squid (bare hooks work but were mainly catching sardines, when we switched to squid on the sabikis it was all mackerel).