PDA

View Full Version : Hal of a Day 6/12

Bait Fish
06-12-2011, 09:04 PM
Got a bit of a late start this morning but I made it out. Mission was to catch the all might evasive Halibut. 5 Minutes in and I was on! I knew it was a legal. Head shake and drag peeling. Got him all the way up to the beach and he breaks off! Sh#$. Thats Ok though, I told myself to keep a positive energy and that I would land another one. Heres how it went down.

First Hali measure 17"
http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd452/bdang927/Hali1.jpg

Second Hali landed but another short.
http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd452/bdang927/hali2.jpg

By now the bite seemed to turn off, I was gonna give myself only another 30 more mintues and if i didnt get a bite, I'd leave. With 5 minutes left on the clock before I leave, I land another short one and I buy myself some more time.
http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd452/bdang927/Hali3.jpg

OK, at this point im pretty pumped that I'm having a good day, Only thing that would make it even better would be to catch a legal. So once I again, Im back at it. Here's the results:

Almost 29"
http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd452/bdang927/Halibut29inch.jpg
http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd452/bdang927/29inch.jpg

and yes thats a kitchen knife. LOL. I dont have a filet knife and I basically butchered the Hali. Did the best I could. Still tasted great! Dallas Wins the Series and a Halibut Dinner, couldnt ask for a better day.

Also ran into a couple of Team 57 Members, Identified by their team 57 Hats. Need to get one myself as well. Shout out to Fat Tony and his buddy, Sorry I didnt get his name. It was good meeting you guys.

cjmedina
06-12-2011, 09:53 PM
Nice killer day

bones
06-12-2011, 10:04 PM
Very nice job out there. Either you are related to fishep or you are an ex con....LOL

Thanks for the report and keep them comming!

OH....By the way....Love the title of your report!

Wingnut
06-12-2011, 10:08 PM
That's one heck of a session, very nice Hali! :Envious:
Definitely need a good fillet knife to carve a Butt. :Wink:
That place is going get blown up... wait a minute, it already has... lol

sidified
06-12-2011, 10:18 PM
Well done....How cool to have such a steady bite...topped off with a Super-legal hali!

DockRat
06-13-2011, 07:01 AM
WTG on the Butt. That rag method of picking up shorts is not a good idea, it removes the protective slime and could result in a infection then death. Major No No. Just leave them on the sand for a pic.
Thanks DR

Bait Fish
06-13-2011, 07:16 AM
WTG on the Butt. That rag method of picking up shorts is not a good idea, it removes the protective slime and could result in a infection then death. Major No No. Just leave them on the sand for a pic.
Thanks DR

Thanks for the info DR. Will keep that in mind for the next session.

Which Way Out
06-13-2011, 08:58 AM
Thanks for showing us that the bite is picking up once again. Congrats

WP- Witness Protection ?

ryryk
06-13-2011, 09:05 AM
That's one heck of a session, very nice Hali! :Envious:
Definitely need a good fillet knife to carve a Butt. :Wink:
That place is going get blown up... wait a minute, it already has... lol
Yeha I wish you could edit his pics..

Oh well.

Nice job on the legal bro.

vanillagurilla
06-13-2011, 09:13 AM
yeah that place is going to be a zoo next weekend now lol.

bones
06-13-2011, 02:12 PM
Quick tip for you Bait Fish.If you are using the rag on the tail for grip just try using some sand on your hand for additional grip. It works really good for the photo ops. It's kinda funny how you hide your face but you don't have a problem showing the background of a productive spot.

vanillagurilla
06-13-2011, 02:22 PM
dont use that net to land your fish either, if you used it on all the shorts there all going to die from tail rot like the 10 shorts i seen the other day that got released with split tails.

Bait Fish
06-13-2011, 02:25 PM
Quick tip for you Bait Fish.If you are using the rag on the tail for grip just try using some sand on your hand for additional grip. It works really good for the photo ops. It's kinda funny how you hide your face but you don't have a problem showing the background of a productive spot.

Thanks for the Tip Bones, Im still new at this whole posting thing. Next time I post, Ill make sure not to show the fishing grounds.

Bait Fish
06-13-2011, 02:26 PM
dont use that net to land your fish either, if you used it on all the shorts there all going to die from tail rot like the 10 shorts i seen the other day that got released with split tails.

No, I didnt use the net to land the shorts, Only used it for the legal.

stepchild
06-13-2011, 03:26 PM
nice report..seems like a good day of hali catching

Fat Tony
06-13-2011, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the shout out:Thumbs Up:,that last hali was huge I got the chance to see that one up close:Applause:.Congrats on your "Hal" that fish is good eats.As for that place blowing up **** it was elbow to elbow,people tangeling up with each other bulshit.To all the lurkers out there why dont you add a lil somthing to the site instead of just having everyone else do all the work finding the fish so you could come in and kill a great spot,also pick up after yourself:Angry:.A Bait Fish use photo bucket to edit the backrounds on your photos.Also I got a gripper at Bass pro shop for about $20 its been working out good for me so far.Once again great job and good meeting you.

Ulua1
06-13-2011, 07:05 PM
Congrats on the legal! Nice one at that too

Bait Fish
06-13-2011, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the shout out:Thumbs Up:,that last hali was huge I got the chance to see that one up close:Applause:.Congrats on your "Hal" that fish is good eats.As for that place blowing up **** it was elbow to elbow,people tangeling up with each other bulshit.To all the lurkers out there why dont you add a lil somthing to the site instead of just having everyone else do all the work finding the fish so you could come in and kill a great spot,also pick up after yourself:Angry:.A Bait Fish use photo bucket to edit the backrounds on your photos.Also I got a gripper at Bass pro shop for about $20 its been working out good for me so far.Once again great job and good meeting you.

Thanks Tony, It was good to meet you as well. I will definitely take everyones advice and make the fishing grounds a bit more unknown and the grippers will be next on my list this week when I go to my local tackle store.

Jaysuuun
06-13-2011, 10:23 PM
Congrats on the big legal. I agree with some of the others. That place is gonna be packed! LOL

Hooked Up
06-13-2011, 10:39 PM
Those were all good handling tips! Nice job on the halibut!

murrieta angler
06-14-2011, 08:09 AM
Hey Baitfish,
Nice job sticking the "Big Hali'!!
As far as the spot, it's no secret, and when the closures do happen, ALL the rest of the beaches are going to be even more packed on weekends.
Thanks For The Report,
Robert
<><