PDA

View Full Version : Perris bluegill WFO 6-11-11

tunagod1
06-12-2011, 11:02 AM
My fishing partner was feeling better after his stint in the hospital so we decided to try some bluegill fishing at Perris. My buddy's nowhere near 100% but he wanted to give it a go anyway. We got to Perris around 7:00am and was fishing by 7:15, It took a little while to find the fish .... uh 15 min and it was WFO for the next 2 hrs. We fished til 9:00 and had the boat out of the water by 9;30. I could tell my buddy was in a lot of discomfort so we called it early. Anyway we had a blast while we were there. Most of the fish were the larger model bluegill, many exceeded 10" in length. almost all were caught on crickets, did manage a few nice redear on redworms.

Tight Lines310603106131062

Tuna Out

Hooked Up
06-12-2011, 11:59 AM
Seems like Perris is "thee" spot for pan fish right now! All in 2 hours! Excellent! Thanks for the 411! :)

NickX3
06-12-2011, 12:05 PM
good job, im goin out tomorrow mornin, where in the lake did you catch em?

M@M
06-12-2011, 07:22 PM
WOW!!:EyePop:...Epic day!!:UDaMan:...I know your buddy had to enjoy himself.... I wish him a speedy recovery......................Took my fishing buddy to Perris last June for his last fishing trip...he died last week (F'ing cancer). He loved fishing and eating Blue gill. I was able to keep Blue Gill on his dinner table in his last few weeks. A Big Thank-you to you Tunagod........

Oh, too bad it took you so long to find the fish. LOL....seems you have that lake dial in.

I'm hoping to get out there again soon....Love that Lake.

fish4anything
06-12-2011, 08:24 PM
Great post and pics! Hope your friend gets better soon!! Take care.

F4A

TheAsianGuy
06-13-2011, 10:01 AM
Nice one! Did you manage to hit the eastern marsh or the southern? Apparently, those panfishes migrate back and forth between the eastern and southern shoreline quite a bit. I truly need to get my fishfinder.

bassgrabber1
06-13-2011, 10:06 AM
No fishfinder needed at Perris for the gillies right now....we have been catching them everywhere!!

TheAsianGuy
06-13-2011, 10:29 AM
No fishfinder needed at Perris for the gillies right now....we have been catching them everywhere!!

True to that. However, good to see where the school of those fishes are, especially the larger cats and carps. I still can't seem to hammer those puppies. I throw everything at them. Stink baits, dough baits, and the whole refrigerator of what ever I have that I can fit onto my tube *LOL* No taker on anyone of the baits. However, plenty of nibbles by gills..always the freaking gills.

bassgrabber1
06-13-2011, 10:32 AM
When we shocked the lake with DFG, all the cats and carp were in the Eastend in no more than 8ft of water...we shocked up a couple of 15 plus pound cats...huge. I have never fished cats at Perris but I am willing to bet that they are pretty smart if they are that big.

TheAsianGuy
06-13-2011, 10:50 AM
You know what..the "shocked" put a smile on my face..I suddenly have this huge evil brainstorm running across the brain lobes saying, use your worm probes with the 20kv inverters with the 12V battery for the fishfinder. So much temptation from such evil though *LOL* I know if I use that while I'm in the water, I'll be having just as much fun as those cats and carps doing the shock-and-awe dance.

tunagod1
06-13-2011, 11:41 AM
all fish were caught at bernasconi beach near the bouyline in 10-12 ft of water. there is a clam bed on that spot and they're bedding in the clambed areas.

Tight Lines

Tuna Out

tunagod1
06-13-2011, 11:45 AM
its hard to believe that there's a better bluegill spot that Perris right now, for the size an quanity Perris is hard to beat for the florida strain "Humpback Bluegill" . For those of you that have caught the larger models you know what I mean when I say Humpback.

Tuna Out

NickX3
06-13-2011, 01:51 PM
got a good 8 gills today on the tube in sail cove

M@M
06-13-2011, 04:53 PM
How long does the bite last at Perris??

TheAsianGuy
06-13-2011, 05:03 PM
Looks like those are the ones that were knapping my mealworms off my line, dragged it into the weeds, and made me rehook it all morning long. What rig did you use? Mine was a semi drop shot (2 hooks) with a bobber on an 18" leader to prevent weed tangling, while the other is a string floater held down by a 1/4oz sinker (bobber at the end of the leader and two hooks before the swivel connecting directly to main line) with crickets. I though I got trouts or basses snagging my lines the way how violently the line was ripped. But man..you got some major fish tacos lined up for yourselves for the rest of the week.

TheAsianGuy
06-13-2011, 05:07 PM

All depending on those clouds. If it remains overcast, it will hit until the sunlight hits all along the Bernasconi beach towards the dam. Once the light comes out, they all migrated to the marsh to the east. So, hit the water early (6am to 11am or before the sun fully shines on the water). Otherwise, 6am-10am. 12pm-3pm..I don't normally stay until dark.

tunagod1
06-14-2011, 09:09 PM

From boat: the bite lasts as long as you can stay on the fish, secret, don't lose to many fish. Lost fish tend to scatter and move the school. Once you catch a nice one, cast to the same spot over and over. I usually fish the mornings esp. when it gets hot, But I've gone in the afternoons, and catch at the same rates. Gotta locate the school, thats the trick.

If fishing from shore: I work the shoreline like I was bass fishing, fan casting to locate school. don't spend a long time in unproductive spots.

TheAsianGuy
06-14-2011, 09:35 PM
From boat: the bite lasts as long as you can stay on the fish, secret, don't lose to many fish. Lost fish tend to scatter and move the school. Once you catch a nice one, cast to the same spot over and over. I usually fish the mornings esp. when it gets hot, But I've gone in the afternoons, and catch at the same rates. Gotta locate the school, thats the trick.

If fishing from shore: I work the shoreline like I was bass fishing, fan casting to locate school. don't spend a long time in unproductive spots.

:Not Worthy:

Thus, I purchased the Humminbird 728 to hunt those freaking schools. No more guessing games.

Mr.Wolf
06-14-2011, 10:44 PM
I'm heading out to perris for my first time this week hopefully get on the redear blugill bite, just wanted to know the best rig for that lake ? Drop shot with a side leader ? Bobbers ??? Thanks for any replies !

TheAsianGuy
06-15-2011, 07:43 AM
I'm heading out to perris for my first time this week hopefully get on the redear blugill bite, just wanted to know the best rig for that lake ? Drop shot with a side leader ? Bobbers ??? Thanks for any replies !

If you spot a school right near you, bobber with anything you got in your arsenal with a nice 12" to 18" leader (use a jig head hook if you like to put some weight in). If you're doing a guessing game from the shoreline, combination of drop shots using a 14" to 18" leader, two hooks, and the bobber. Hit the schools, and you're in business. Miss the schools, well, you'll be shifting around for a wee bit.

Mr.Wolf
06-15-2011, 08:24 AM
Thanks asian guy ! Yah were probably renting a boat u know of any spots to hit first with the boat ???

TheAsianGuy
06-15-2011, 02:41 PM
Thanks asian guy ! Yah were probably renting a boat u know of any spots to hit first with the boat ???

Since you're renting the boat right of out the dock, best places to hits are (use Google Maps to shove these coordinates into the Location bar):

Start out early at 33.86477, -117.18005 where you rent the boat. Plenty of gill schools lurking near the dock. If you can't hit anything within 10 minutes, roll on.

Switch over to the other side 33.86361, -117.18217

Every 10 minutes without bite, move all along the dam area towards the southern part to hunt for bass, trouts, and gills. Start here 33.86016, -117.19406 . Make sure to stay at least 50 feet from the dam's lowest water level so you can cast in all different direction.

By the time you hit this 33.84057, -117.17795 point near the outfall, you should be hitting at least 10 different school, and could already max out your limit for the day. However, you may get lucky and land some large mouth basses.

If not, hit east towards the Bernasconi Rd ramp. This stretch has plenty of gill school roaming due to the fresh foods coming from the aqueduct.

If you have more time, hunt for catfishes and carp all along the weeds and marsh that tend to lurk within the first 25 feet of the dry shoreline before the first 10 feet drop in the water, there the thermocline exists. This is why I want the fish finder so bad. I need to know where that thermocline to search for the panfish schools.

Good luck.