PDA

View Full Version : Heading out to DVL this Weds 6/15

River Monster
06-12-2011, 12:22 AM
Hi all,

I am new to the forum. My name is Terence and I've only been fishing less than a year. Will be making my first ever trip to DVL on Wednesday with the Full Moon and was wondering what tips, possible spots to try out anyone may be able to offer. Most likely will work the shores, but may decide to rent a boat as well. Gonna try for stripers and LMBs. Thanks for your input!

Hooked Up
06-12-2011, 03:28 PM
Terence, FYI, DVL has 1/2 price on boat rentals on Wednesday's. Lately they have been "sold out". Reservations required Sat./Sun./Wed. for boat rentals. DVL website did have coupons for Tues./Thurs. But no reservations required for shore fishing! :) Good Luck!

River Monster
06-12-2011, 09:55 PM
Terence, FYI, DVL has 1/2 price on boat rentals on Wednesday's. Lately they have been "sold out". Reservations required Sat./Sun./Wed. for boat rentals. DVL website did have coupons for Tues./Thurs. But no reservations required for shore fishing! :) Good Luck!

I checked online. Looks like no boats available left for Wednesday :-( My friend and I were looking forward to giving it a try too. Being such a large lake, would be pretty hard to cover large areas by shore.

atleasticaughtabuzz
06-15-2011, 01:36 PM
i dunno if you will see this. but i might be out there later this afternoon. let me know if you wanna link up!

River Monster
06-15-2011, 04:43 PM
I managed to secure a boat for Thursday so I am going to be heading out tomorrow all day! Sorry for the late response. atleast, do you fish anywhere else other than Diamond Valley Lake? Maybe we can link up another time.

River Monster
06-15-2011, 05:07 PM
I've been hearing mixed reports for pound line to use to go for bass at DVL. I've heard 6lb due to the relative high clarity of the water, but as a novice angler, was wondering would a higher pound line be more appropriate? I will be fishing with spinning gear utilizing both nightcrawlers and soft plastics. What pound line would you recommend?

Surfnsnowboard3
06-15-2011, 05:23 PM
I've been hearing mixed reports for pound line to use to go for bass at DVL. I've heard 6lb due to the relative high clarity of the water, but as a novice angler, was wondering would a higher pound line be more appropriate? I will be fishing with spinning gear utilizing both nightcrawlers and soft plastics. What pound line would you recommend?

6 pound! do NOT go any higher. The water is SUPER clear and it makes a difference, guaranteed.

ib12fish
06-15-2011, 05:43 PM
I'll be out there with the kids looking for blugill good luck

HawgStalker
06-15-2011, 06:22 PM
I hear alot of people preaching 4 and 6... I go no lower than 8# flouro and catch fish consistently from shore! You may catch more with lighter line but Im satisfied with 8#! JMO...

River Monster
06-15-2011, 06:36 PM
Hey if anyone is heading out tomorrow, I'll be a pack of 3 Asian guys. I am the younger one. First time on the boats @ DVL. Let's see if I have some beginner's luck on my side. If you see me, do say hi! Thanks for the advice!

fishntime
06-15-2011, 07:36 PM
So how did you do today?

River Monster
06-15-2011, 09:06 PM
I didn't end up heading out today. Will be heading out tomorrow. I'll let you know how I do whether I skunk or not. :Big Grin:

River Monster
06-16-2011, 09:42 PM
So how did you do today?

Fished the whole day. Didn't skunk... caught a couple of bluegill and a barely unkeepable LMB. Still, my first LMB and I was stoked! It felt more like an adventure just exploring the whole lake than a fishing trip. I can totally see why they call it the Jewel of Southern California. The water is so clean... really a beautiful place to get away from the city. I will definitely make another visit soon.

whopperstopper
06-18-2011, 10:56 PM
what do you mean barely "unkeepable LMB " the only one you should keep is the one your sending to the taxidermist....try for golden bass you can keep those ones ..Lol

diamondvalleydaily
06-19-2011, 01:29 PM
hey glad ur going out there, my name is ivan im oun there every day besides this weekend cuz of the holiday and i will see u out there if u work the shore line... i could help put u on some decent fish if you would like...

diamondvalleydaily
06-19-2011, 09:04 PM
yeah but sometimes if u have to sight fish for a pig it helps but 8 pd flouro still gets bit really well.... its the flouro that counts if it were mono u would have no fish and good luck tommorow ill be on the shore at the third point im sure ull get some fish....

River Monster
06-20-2011, 09:15 AM
what do you mean barely "unkeepable LMB " the only one you should keep is the one your sending to the taxidermist....try for golden bass you can keep those ones ..Lol

lol, just referring to the fact that it's under 15 inches. Actually the "barely legal" ones do make decent table fare, so I've heard.

River Monster
06-20-2011, 09:16 AM
yeah but sometimes if u have to sight fish for a pig it helps but 8 pd flouro still gets bit really well.... its the flouro that counts if it were mono u would have no fish and good luck tommorow ill be on the shore at the third point im sure ull get some fish....

Hi Ivan, thank you for the tip! Being about 90 miles away, can't be going everyday. But I'll definitely let you know when I head out there once again. I am sure I'll be back very soon.

River Monster
06-20-2011, 11:24 AM
Hi Ivan, thank you for the tip! Being about 90 miles away, can't be going everyday. But I'll definitely let you know when I head out there once again. I am sure I'll be back very soon.

BTW this past time my friend was able to land 3 smaller model LMBs and 4 bluegill on 8 pound mono. Is fluoro really that important?