PDA

View Full Version : Rookie tubing

Malosos82
06-11-2011, 09:29 PM
This is my first post and Im excited to be a part of the community. I have still fished for trout my whole life and in the past year I am suddenly compelled to expand my repertoire. My gf and I have U boats and waders and have no clue where we can take them out close (we live in north county san diego and everyplace doesn't allow tubing except for hodges which is an enormous skunk hole). Where can we go without getting in trouble? We were going to hit Skinner for stripers from the tubes today until I called and was told it isn't allowed...I really enjoy reading all the threads on here and hope to contribute asap when I get my S*** straight....I've also only ever caught 1 LMB and it was tiny but gave me the fever

phishin phool
06-11-2011, 09:37 PM
I dont know if you can tube cayamaca but that would be a great spot for trout. there are a few spots in the san bernardino mtns like jenks, big bear, gregory and silverwood but those would be quite a drive for you. I'm sure someone will know of more. Good luck.

stocker
06-12-2011, 12:31 AM
I tube Big Bear on occasion and primarily Silverwood due to location. Otay is a possibility. If you're game, I'm sure that you could find some really cool saltwater tubing in your area as well.

Slater
06-13-2011, 09:14 AM
Prior to getting my kayak I use to fish San Diego and Mission Bay in my cherrio for spotted bay bass or what ever else wanted to surprise you. Do a little research and you will find there are a some good place to launch and you cant go wrong fishing about the various boat slips. Always better the few hours leading up to a high tide. Good luck going bendo!
And watch out for boat traffic especially on weekends...mk

Flying
06-13-2011, 10:29 AM
Check out Miramar. http://www.sandiego.gov/water/recreation/

Its a small but deep reservoir. I'm sure you could still pick up a few trout but they have all the normal warm water fish too. There are no gas motors allowed and the whole lake is 5 mph so there are very few private boater. Most of the shoreline is pretty steep so use the launch ramp if you are not comfortable with the tube yet.

I haven't been there in a long time but I remember the parking lot gets full quick on the weekends from all the joggers, walkers and roller bladers that use the road that surrounds the lake.

When it starts getting too hot for you in waders come up to Perris where they are not required. Just don't bring any Quagga with you.:Wink:

Hooked Up
06-13-2011, 10:32 AM
Cuyamaca, Poway, Wolford and Upper Otay all allow tubing but it seems they all have their own set of rules! Best to call or read those rules on those lakes websites. Good luck!

Nessie Hunter
06-13-2011, 10:59 AM
Barrett !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LBSea
06-14-2011, 11:02 PM
I second SD & Mission bay. Lb for Lb Spotted bay bass fight harder then any fresh water bass you can catch. Also with by catches of halibut and bone fish you can't go wrong.

Liteweight
06-16-2011, 01:15 PM
Freshwater or Saltwater?
LW.
btw: welcome to our little paradise!