PDA

View Full Version : DVL DURING THE WEEk

atleasticaughtabuzz
06-11-2011, 05:33 PM
soo this is the story...all about how....ive never caught a striper before nor have i ever been to DVL. do any of you plan on going out sometime this week? hopefully someone willing to show me the ropes. got my own gear (i prefer light tackle, hope thats ok). Pm me if anyone is down. btw im not a noooob fisherman, not a pro by any means but, you wont have to teach me how to cast lol.

tacklejunkie
06-11-2011, 06:09 PM
For striper on light(how light?) tackle everyone is going to tell you scrounger, but those things suck IMO. Surely I could find something to work as good as a scrounger when it's working.

You can go down to the lake and ask people or call the marina or look on the website to learn to fish them stripey. Probably your best bet. Or use what people are using in reports. They don't usually lie.

Google up striper fishing and learn about the fish too while you are at it. It will help you.
Also google the lake for maps and learn to find structure striper like.

atleasticaughtabuzz
06-11-2011, 06:15 PM
For striper on light(how light?) tackle everyone is going to tell you scrounger, but those things suck IMO. Surely I could find something to work as good as a scrounger when it's working.

You can go down to the lake and ask people or call the marina or look on the website to learn to fish them stripey. Probably your best bet. Or use what people are using in reports. They don't usually lie.

Google up striper fishing and learn about the fish too while you are at it. It will help you.
Also google the lake for maps and learn to find structure striper like.

light rod n reel w/8lb test. the other problem is. it seems like the folks on boats are doin the best...but i couldnt locate a school of fish if they were swimmin under me. maybe i might just go out n throw a line out see what happens

tacklejunkie
06-11-2011, 08:29 PM
I don't know how to catch them on 8lb test.
A good attempt would be to "flyline" a "fluke" though. You will catch all kinds of fish, but if they are green a lot of folks would be happy if you release them ;)

Supposed you could always C-rig or drop shot some anchovies or mackerel too if bait is your thing. Nothing wrong with that to get your feet wet if you need to.

Be sure to stop off at the tackle shop near the lake called "Last chance bait and tackle". It's like two miles away.

They can help to steer you in the right direction.

Bring some extra money cause you'll go gaga in there for sure. No affiliation!

As for locating fish, I have a fish finder in my brain.
You will develop one too over time if you haven't already.

atleasticaughtabuzz
06-15-2011, 09:47 AM
kk i went ahead and got my medium action rods spooled up with 14lb stren XL... as far as lures i have a Zara Spook in black n silver, a 6' depth crankbait in crawfish, a top water popper in tiger and a variety of roboworms n senkos. is that even in the ball park of what i need for stripers?

P.A.W.
06-15-2011, 09:22 PM
Spook is a good start, but I never used black. The popper may piss 'em off enough to get a strike too. If they are in feeding mode they love to see splashes.

tacklejunkie
06-16-2011, 07:22 AM
Spook is a good start, but I never used black. The popper may piss 'em off enough to get a strike too. If they are in feeding mode they love to see splashes.
I'll second that.
Anything fishy has a chance of getting a stripey. Just have to get it in their face when the bite is good.

You might want to try some white baits that work surface and subsurface.
I almost bought a subwalk Rapala yesterday that I thought might do the trick,
but ended up buying a "gliding Rapala" that walks like a punker but under the surface. Big ol 5" shad sub-walking rapala without a lip on it! Lol

also got a waxwing to try out there but won't work with light line. It's 1.5oz's

seal
06-16-2011, 08:12 AM
Hey TJ what's your negativity with the Scrounger? Quality (gotta get the right one) or performance????

Curiosity, I have a ton of um and they haven't failed me.

stocker
06-16-2011, 02:10 PM
I might add that spoons have their place. The colors can vary from day to day but plain silver, plain white, or combos of silver, white, blue, chartreuse or even red will all work. Change up your retrieve until you find the magic.

HawgZWylde
06-16-2011, 05:46 PM
I might add that spoons have their place. The colors can vary from day to day but plain silver, plain white, or combos of silver, white, blue, chartreuse or even red will all work. Change up your retrieve until you find the magic.

Agreed. Have absolutely destroyed the line sides with those very colored spoons. Especially if you hit a boil. Throw it out, stand there and get ready to get slammed. They nail it on the fall. Or just swim it in. But spoons are best when the shad are up...

diamondvalleydaily
06-19-2011, 09:11 PM
ive been getting striper on 10 pound if u have that but we wont git any over 6 pounds if thats all right... im down there every day and if you dont beleive me ask TJ (tackle junkie) so if u see a kid will long hair thats me and im totally willing to put u on some fish.

atleasticaughtabuzz
06-21-2011, 01:35 PM
pm sent!......

FishermanStu
06-21-2011, 08:51 PM
Supposed you could always C-rig or drop shot some anchovies or mackerel too if bait is your thing. Nothing wrong with that to get your feet wet if you need to.

seein illegal things like that posted about diamond valley just gets my blood boiling!!

Geraldlim
06-21-2011, 09:24 PM
seein illegal things like that posted about diamond valley just gets my blood boiling!!

What are you talking about? It's completely legal to bait fish using anchovies and mackeral. Maybe you misread?

kayakbass
06-21-2011, 10:34 PM
He probadly talked about live trout>>>illegal to use as bait.....any cut bait,live shad if you can catch them can be use at the lake. Ask the office or call DFG direct if you are not sure.
Hey DVDaily, good catch on the Hud today, good luck tomorrow. Have'nt seen Mr TJ out there lately.

FishermanStu
06-25-2011, 09:23 AM
haha sorry it was a joke the feet wet part was supposed to be highlighted.
sorry to bring this back from the depths