PDA

View Full Version : First trip to the surf...

fishinguy68
06-11-2011, 02:40 PM
Started the day out at crescent cove, north of Laguna Beach. Got in the water at grey light and fished for quite a while, working the beach from one side to the other. Waves were crashing at the shore at 3-5 feet. Didn't really see much in the water and my buddy and I decided to make a move shortly after 7:00.

Made a move to Crystal Cove state beach and that was a mistake. Fished there for less then an hour. Worked the beach between the 3rd and 4th parking lot. Nothin doin but the sea weed. Counldn't retrieve the LC without pulling in a kelp forest. Decided at about 7:45 to make a move further up the coast.

Arrived at Bolsa Chica state beach at around 8:30 and fished there until about 11:30. Fished right by the rocks and couldn't get a bite. My buddy did hook a small ray on the LC but that was all that wanted to eat. After 11:30, we decided to call it a day.

Used several baits throughout the day including, the LC110 in various colors, drop shot gulp sand worms in camo, and big hammers.

Been fishing long enough to know that these days come. Just a little disappointed that it had to come on my first day in the surf. I guess it happens. Looking forward to hitting the getting out again.

-FG

Wingnut
06-11-2011, 05:56 PM
No matter how bad the fishing is, as long as you learn something out there, it's never a total loss. :Wink: Trust me, it WILL get better... PM answered. :Cool:

bulletoothulk
06-11-2011, 06:54 PM
Good times today , can even use my name did me dirty jk

murrieta angler
06-11-2011, 08:15 PM
Hey 68,
At least you were out there trying!
I appreciate the report from South OC, I've been looking to hit up those areas.
Take It easy,
Robert
<><

DockRat
06-12-2011, 06:08 AM
Heck of a effort, them Gulp worms should have produced ?
Did you Carolina rig them with 4 or 6 lb leader ? Leader too long ?
18" is good in the surf. Casting too far out maybe ? 50' is good, no need to rip it out there.
Thanks for the report, go back and you will nail them.
DR

keepemlo
06-12-2011, 07:19 AM
I always wanted to fish crystal cove I hung out there a few times with the kids in the tide pools years ago so full of life ,keep at it ,can't go wrong just being out tnete

Ulua1
06-12-2011, 05:37 PM
Better days to come, just need to keep at it. Thanks for the report!

JapanRon
06-12-2011, 05:48 PM
Hi fishinguy68,

You'll get 'em next time !!

JapanRon

Jaysuuun
06-13-2011, 10:01 PM
These days happen. It happened to me a few weeks ago. Don't worry you'll get'em soon.

hunterfishman
06-22-2011, 06:10 PM
You'll get em next time!

after a pretty good day in the bay last sat. I'm itchin to get out into the surf soon.
I've Carolina rigged the berkley sand crabs b-4 with no luck off the jetty... must not have been the right time, or like someone said maybe too deep. I'l give em another shot or just use the real thing (if legal). still fairly new to the saltwater scene. I probably have less than 10 saltwater species under my belt so I have a LLOOONNNGGG way to go!

Cant wait till my next day off, I just might hit the surf. Can anyone point me in the right direction as far as where it is legal to fish the surf near oceanside???
If I remember correctly it is legal between the signs that designate areas for surfing but not swimming??? Its been a while since i walked the beach.
Thanks for any help you guys can provide.