PDA

View Full Version : PFD's

Payduck
06-11-2011, 01:26 AM
Hey guys, i just started float tubing and i have noticed from alot of peoples reports that you guys wear the automatic PFD's. I was wondering if anyone knows where to get one that isn't super expensive?

Thanks!

-Pat

LBSea
06-11-2011, 09:15 AM
Don,t get an automatic PFD, they are made for high speed split second emergencies like being thrown for a speeding sail or speed boat and activate as soon as they get wet. You are far too close to the water to chance getting it wet and activating it. Get the Manuel inflation PFD if anything. I have one any they are not cheap, 89 to 99.00 each on sale. For tubing you could even get away with PFD waist band. These are about 45 to 55.00 each. Both the Manuel PFDs I mention inflate with a CO2 cartridge with a pull of a tab. All CO2 cartridges need to be checked or replaced every other year or so. They are nice and compact and are easy to fish while wearing.

West Marine or Bass Pro for the best prices I found when looking.

Stay safe!

See Chris Fish
06-11-2011, 11:01 AM
I have a $20 PFD from Bass Pro which I keep in the storage area of my Fish Cat 4.
My reasons for keeping it back there are:
1. The law states that it has to be easily accessible. It is right behind me.
2. I'm an excellent swimmer. Not worried about drowning.
3. I have two fins on. I can make it to shore or stay afloat till help gets there.
4. My tube has two bladders. Not worried about a quick sinking. One should be full of air.
5. I stay aware of my surroundings and stay close enough to shore too make it in, in an emergency.
6. Wearing the vest are uncomfortable and interfere with fishing. IMHO

Note: The newer versions of the auto vest have a hydrostatic inflator. It only activates when totally under water, not just went wet. You're going to pay $280 and up though.
http://www.basspro.com/Mustang-Survival-Deluxe-Auto-HIT-Inflatable-PFD-Collar-Vest/product/97395/-1468488

They also have ones which are designed for kayakers. More in your price range. Might work on a tube, but I'm not sure.
http://www.basspro.com/Mustang-Survival-Deluxe-Auto-HIT-Inflatable-PFD-Collar-Vest/product/97395/-1468488

TheAsianGuy
06-11-2011, 07:00 PM
Chris is dead on. PFD is a pain in the butt when you're in a freaking tube. However, PFD can also be acting as a fishing gears holder, which I use quite often to hold cameras, cell phones, quick access to gloves, dehooker, utility knives, .etc..Oh, it helps with protecting my back from getting serious toasted by the sun, even with a wide bream hat on. Plenty of use for it, but it's a major hindrance when you need to turn all about your tube to do things. However, it's an added protection just in case there are idjits out there doing 45mph on their skiis and boats, which can pretty much flip you and your tube. Nearly happened to me today at Lake Perris, while I was anchored down. Two jetskiis, a speedboat, and a waterboarder created wakes that pretty much went over my head, and the wind didn't help to alleviate the wakes either. Having PFD on is just a peace of mind.

tacklejunkie
06-12-2011, 12:09 PM
I wear it on me in the yak or tube. There's some nutty boaters out there that screw around way too close to you even though they know you are there. 50mph behind the 5mph island and such.
If I get knocked out I want to float still.
Plus I'm always wearing tons of gear.

In the salt, if a sealion jumps on my tube (they've been close) I'll be praying I had the PFD on.

I use $20 Stearns fishing life jackets from Walmart.

Might just be me but I get kinda creeped out when I'm in deep water alone too. Sitting out in the middle of big fish alley at DVL trolling a triple trout on the kayak in 15mph wind is pretty frekin' creepy!

HBAR
06-12-2011, 07:10 PM
I was looking for a "SOSpender" type PFD and was having an issue with the price as well, but at the Fred Hall show I ended up getting one from Turners for a pretty good price along with a rearm kit since it was the last one of the (what I call) gucci models. Some places don't require you have them on but the lifeguards at hansen dam have some sort of power trip and if they don't see them on you they want you out of the water NOW!

First time I did the night time float tube event at Castaic I was freaked out once it got dark, especially when I almost bumped up against this yellow pyramid looking thing out in the middle of the lake, I almost jumped out of my PAC9.

Better safe then sorry, don't want to spend that much money then get one of those "cut the back of your neck" PFD's and tie it up to your tube, or shop around like ebay or amazon and see if you can find a deal on one, just my 2 cents.

socal114
06-12-2011, 09:01 PM
Check Sports Authority...I picked up a Stearns manual (pull cord) on clearance for $40 (reg. $130) not too long ago. Also grabbed a few rearming tubes for $2 (reg. $10).

Liteweight
06-16-2011, 07:11 PM
Don,t get an automatic PFD, they are made for high speed split second emergencies like being thrown for a speeding sail or speed boat and activate as soon as they get wet. You are far too close to the water to chance getting it wet and activating it. Get the Manuel inflation PFD if anything. I have one any they are not cheap, 89 to 99.00 each on sale. For tubing you could even get away with PFD waist band. These are about 45 to 55.00 each. Both the Manuel PFDs I mention inflate with a CO2 cartridge with a pull of a tab. All CO2 cartridges need to be checked or replaced every other year or so. They are nice and compact and are easy to fish while wearing.

West Marine or Bass Pro for the best prices I found when looking.

Stay safe!

FYI: not all inflatables inlflate with contact with the water. The Higher end "Mustangs" have a HIT sysytem that only inflates when submerged. I dont know if Stearns has a similar auto-inflate system. I have one of the older SOSpenders (before they were bought out by The Coleman Co.) Cartridges are hard to come by (have to call customer service for special order as they are not available (or evern listed on their website) anywhere else. My next will be a Mustang Pro.
I love these types of PFD's for their comfort factor. The regular vests are not comfortable for float tubing all day long (or when it's 90+ like "the goon" in the summer/expected next week).
LW

vortec_cruiser
06-25-2011, 11:17 PM
I have a pair of suspenders-type PFDs that my son and wear on our tubes. I had bought them from Cabela's, and they can be inflated by a pull of the CO2 activation cord or by a tube that is for inflation by mouth. Fortunately, we haven't ever had to activate them. We don't even know we're wearing them while fishing.

LBSea
06-27-2011, 12:27 PM
I have a pair of suspenders-type PFDs that my son and wear We don't even know we're wearing them while fishing.

EXACTLY. Anyone that says wearing a PFD while fishing is a pain in the @#$ is most likly NOT wearing an inflatable PFD! One should not comment on inflatable PFDs if you don't even have or use one.

TheAsianGuy
06-27-2011, 12:29 PM
EXACTLY. Anyone that says wearing a PFD while fishing is a pain in the @#$ is most likly NOT wearing an inflatable PFD! One should not comment on inflatable PFDs if you don't even have one.

Would 5 counts? :LOL: Seriously, I'll definitely invest in the more expensive models (for a good price that is).

LBSea
06-27-2011, 12:35 PM
Would 5 counts? :LOL: Seriously, I'll definitely invest in the more expensive models (for a good price that is).

5 would for sure count! I just don't even feel my inflatable PFD when I am wearing it. I would swear you don't even know you have it on.

Peace!

That Dang Guy
06-27-2011, 01:31 PM
I wear an Onyx Automatic/manual model. You can switch between modes by changing out an insert. I bought it online for about $75 shipped from amazon. It's comfortable and almost unnoticeable when i'm fishing. Basspro shop sells the same exact model, but branded with their name. It's on sale at BPS for $89.99 at the moment. Highly recommend it.

LBSea
06-27-2011, 10:38 PM
FYI: not all inflatables inlflate with contact with the water. The Higher end "Mustangs" have a HIT sysytem that only inflates when submerged. I dont know if Stearns has a similar auto-inflate system. I have one of the older SOSpenders (before they were bought out by The Coleman Co.) Cartridges are hard to come by (have to call customer service for special order as they are not available (or evern listed on their website) anywhere else. My next will be a Mustang Pro.
I love these types of PFD's for their comfort factor. The regular vests are not comfortable for float tubing all day long (or when it's 90+ like "the goon" in the summer/expected next week).
LW

FYI, I said Automatic PFDs NOT ALL PFDs.