PDA

View Full Version : Alert Halibut gone AIRBORNE!

Technique
06-10-2011, 07:15 PM
Date: June 8 and 10
Time: 10am to 1pm
Conditions: Morning clouds 5mph winds
Tackle: LC and Drop shot
Fish count: First day 2 short halibut, second day 3 short halibuts

Day 1 June 08
First time I ever experience Halibut jumping out of the water; incredible! I got to the beach and saw two fly fishermen on the scene. I began throwing my drop shot and decided to switch to my LC after no bites. I was retrieving my LC when I began to daydream for a second. As I looked up at the birds, Bam!:Shocked: A short halibut hit my lure. The halibut startled me because it was no more than two feet away.
Okay so that pumped me up and I was ready to catch another one, short or big. I threw my lure and I had no action. I decided to try a technique that I had never tried before. I named it “walking the dog”.:Cool: I could see my lure in about three feet of water when all of a sudden I saw a halibut shoot up and hit my lure. Wow I was excited, but it broke off.# I know, I know, I also don’t like to talk about the ones that get away, but I thought that it was awesome that my technique worked so I had to mention it. The halibut looked like a short probably fifteen inches.:Secret:
Anyways, I began doing the same thing when I noticed a white flash from the corner of my eyes. Amazing! A halibut went airborne.:Surprised: I was held spell bound. I paused for a while and then started casting out to where I saw the halibut jump. No bites, about five minutes later I saw another halibut jump out of the water and this one was close to a keeper probably twenty something inches. I said to myself, “I can’t post something this amazing and not have pictures to back up my story. “ So I made plans to return a second day to try to get the airborne halibut. Only one bit the first day I was out there.

Day 2 June 10
I had to take advantage of the good weather today, so I went out to the same spot. Upon arrival I noticed a crowd, but soon discovered it was elementary students out on a field trip. I began by throwing my LC, after several casts out and no bites I decided to switch to my drop shot set up. I managed to catch a very small halibut; poor guy hardly put up a fight!:LOL:
I was about waist deep in water when I felt something slimy rub against my ankle. Wow that freaked me out.:Confused: I said to myself, “There is no way that could have been a halibut. If it was I would have spooked it away”. This thing just decided to stay near me. I went to ankle deep water and moved about five feet away when all of a sudden I seen a huge halibut jump out of the water next to me. I should have thrown my LC when I felt that slimy thing; I tried catching it but no luck. I was fan casting about an hour when I finally gave up.:mad:
Moved up about twenty feet and switched to a five-inch swim bait. BAM! All of a sudden the halibut were on the chew. I managed to bring in two, out of five bites. Good thing I decided to stay and fish.:Big Grin:

Time to go back!
This guy was about 20inches
Catch of the day!
Kinda discouraging!

JapanRon
06-10-2011, 07:50 PM
Hi Technique,

Looks like you're getting your feet wet .... for sure !!

Good job.

JapanRon

Wingnut
06-10-2011, 09:10 PM
You're doing really well out there, keep up the good work. :Big Grin:
Yeah, the first time I saw a Hali go airborne I couldn't believe my eyes... until it did it again a few seconds later. :Shocked:
Wait until a 5 ft Leopard Shark brushes up against your leg... you will make a warm spot in the surf. :LOL: :ROFL:

longduck
06-10-2011, 11:34 PM
You're doing really well out there, keep up the good work. :Big Grin:
Yeah, the first time I saw a Hali go airborne I couldn't believe my eyes... until it did it again a few seconds later. :Shocked:
Wait until a 5 ft Leopard Shark brushes up against your leg... you will make a warm spot in the surf. :LOL: :ROFL:

or there'll be two brown sharks in the water!:ROFL:

keepemlo
06-11-2011, 06:36 AM
Right place right time nice ,

Technique
06-11-2011, 02:13 PM
Okay, I'm familiar with leopard sharks but what are brown sharks? OH, Oh, oh... now I get it!
I am having difficulties with the pictures they are coming out too small. Does anyone know the proper size for the network?
Thanks, Raul

murrieta angler
06-11-2011, 08:22 PM
Right on Technique!!!
I remember my first time seeing a hali jump out of the water, I was totally shocked..:EyePop:
Keep up the good work,
Robert
<><

jerryG
06-11-2011, 10:18 PM
I've seen them go in to frenzy with multiple halibut flying out of the water at the same time as they chase down schools of bait along the beach. It's amazing to watch and even more amazing to fish. Thanks for the report...

JerryG

DockRat
06-12-2011, 05:49 AM
Who don't love flying flapjacks ? http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk215/TxTWisTEdNurSE/singsnap/cooking.gif
DR

Which Way Out
06-13-2011, 10:00 AM
Its funny sometimes when we find ourselves standing waist deep in the surf and the fish are using our legs as structure.:Shocked:
I learned that not long ago. So I now cast the zone I am about to walk into first just in case they sitting there. Just a theory that hasn't been proven by myself yet. Although I am sure someone has experienced this already.
Good luck and thanks for the fun report

Ulua1
06-13-2011, 07:34 PM
Right on, you just confirmed it, I wasn't seeing things, saw one jump staight out of the water once and only caught a quick look at him.
Nice work on the Hali's and the technique, cool report at that too.

Jaysuuun
06-13-2011, 09:55 PM
Nice job, I have yet to see the elusive flying hali. It's amazing when the flatties move in real tight to shore.

Fat Tony
06-14-2011, 12:40 AM
Hey buddy use photobucket to upload and edit your pics to post them copy the IMG CODE then paste to your post....TIGHT LINES

DockRat
06-14-2011, 07:15 AM
Its funny sometimes when we find ourselves standing waist deep in the surf and the fish are using our legs as structure.:Shocked:

That is why when fishing Corbina I think it is better to stay out of the water. Leave your waders at home.
Work the wet sand. Depends on the tide and what beach too. Some beaches at higher tide have a major inshore hole which creates a shorebreak.

http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx305/craigneil/Shorebreak-Gutter-Gap-Sandbank.jpg

http://i902.photobucket.com/albums/ac228/4220_boys/waves2.jpg

Which Way Out
06-14-2011, 08:01 AM
That is why when fishing Corbina I think it is better to stay out of the water. Leave your waders at home.
Work the wet sand. Depends on the tide and what beach too. Some beaches at higher tide have a major inshore hole which creates a shorebreak.

http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx305/craigneil/Shorebreak-Gutter-Gap-Sandbank.jpg

http://i902.photobucket.com/albums/ac228/4220_boys/waves2.jpg

Thanks DR for the photos.
That is exactly what Mikey aka Exfactor was showing me one day. Lots of water out there to fish, but knowing the best places to fish will always improve your odds.