PDA

View Full Version : Pier Fishing and Ran into a Black Sea Bass

Cadillyak
06-10-2011, 05:04 PM
Went out to Embarkadero in Pier in San Diego earlier today, and fished the edges with a gulp minnow. My day was ok. Caught 9 bass, 1 kelp fish, and 1 yellowfin croaker. None were picture worthy. I wasn’t planning on reporting seeing as how I didn’t have my camera on me. I was fishing the rocks on the edge of a pier with a friend. I noticed another acquaintance of mine hooked up into something with some size directly off the pier. I left and ran to him. As I approached, I noticed that it was a black sea bass, (I believe). Someone was trying to gaff it with a large weighted treble hook on a rope(seeing as how they were fishing directly off of the pier). Convinced him that that wasn’t a good idea. Glad he missed the first few times, before I made it to the scene. Someone had a contraption on the pier that looked like a modified umbrella net. The fish was safely landed. A few pictures were taken and after I convinced him that the fish was protected, she was safely released. He said he had never caught a fish that big. Topped of my day for sure. I just hope I was a BSB and not a fish he could have kept. Either way, better safe than sorry.
Fish On!!! SP3100631007

That Dang Guy
06-10-2011, 05:49 PM
No question about it. It's a juvi BSB Good call! ;)

fishfinder
06-10-2011, 07:00 PM
No question about it. It's a juvi BSB Good call! ;)
way to protect. good going

Cadillyak
06-10-2011, 10:30 PM
If we don't protect our waters, who will...

Lipripper93561
06-11-2011, 06:21 PM
Nice job stepping in and showing someone the proper rules and regulations. That takes some stones sometimes, and we all appreciated it.

murrieta angler
06-11-2011, 08:16 PM
Kudos with the fish info for that guy.
Some people just don't take the time to get to know ther regs.
Robert
<><

keepemlo
06-12-2011, 07:25 AM
Man that's balls sometimes it's so hard to speak up ,cause you just get the "Tude"like you tresspassing on someones property ,when I see a fish like that it makes mevwonder how the ocean was bout 50years ago when you saw lots of them ,thanks ,maybe fifty years we will be fishing bsb

Ulua1
06-12-2011, 05:31 PM
Congrats on getting em to release it, Awesome Job!

Which Way Out
06-13-2011, 09:46 AM
The Sole of FNN right there.

Can you imagine the story and how fast it would spread if he had kept that fish. You did a great thing for that man. He will not be remembered as that SOB that took a BSB. But instead as a true sportsman and someone you can count on.
Some people are gonna say it should of never left the water, which is true. But with how rare these fish are, I am not surprised most fisherman would not be totally up on the rules. Main thing is its back in the water alive.
Good job and thanks

smokehound
06-13-2011, 04:44 PM
Well, i could say WHY people dont read up on the rules, but we already know why.

Cadillyak
06-14-2011, 12:04 AM
Ignorance is bliss