PDA

View Full Version : Aqueduct stretch above Silverwood Lake

TheAsianGuy
06-09-2011, 12:41 PM
Anyone of you guys hit that 5 miles stretch yet? Just slight northwest of the Cedar Spring Dam, and passing through the entire city of Hesperia and Baldy Mesa. Seal?!

fish-o-haulic
06-09-2011, 12:59 PM
Nope have to check it out.

seal
06-09-2011, 01:31 PM
Yup fished it a bunch. The best stretch I think is just past the airport about 1/2 mile off Santa Fe, the Aquaduct is underground there and if you take a paved road off to the left that goes uphill a short ways there is a parking area and an entrance that is where a siphon pulls the water uphill and is then exposed again. I like to walk all the way down to the end in the early morning (before light) and fish the area that overlooks the valley/ranch beneath Cedar Springs/Silverwood. I have caught huge cat (12 lbs) in the Aqaduct there and have seen lot's of bait (Silversides) and tuly perch, also have seen big blow ups on bait balls by stripers I would assume but they are a tough bite for some reason in there. I've tried a lot of different lures and use a big Fluke a lot and only been hammered a couple times. I've spoken with DFG out there and when they draw down the Aquaduct for stolen vehicle removal he said that there are huge striper in there but he didn't see the numbers that seem to populate other stretches of the Aquaduct, but I will not give up I will pull one out one of these days!!!!!

Good luck!

TheAsianGuy
06-09-2011, 01:52 PM
You walked the freaking 5 miles stretch early morning?! Dude..you and I need to hook up with the boys to break my small fishes boredom! Any taker to join with Seal? It's freaking a hell of a drive to that point. My brother needs a few good fights with the fishes to de-virginize him in fishing.

Okay, need to know your standard gears to fight these monsters:
- Rods, reels, suitable test lines, hooks, baits, etc.. Don't want to go up there short of gears and get slap by those fighters.

fish-o-haulic
06-09-2011, 02:08 PM
Yup fished it a bunch. The best stretch I think is just past the airport about 1/2 mile off Santa Fe, the Aquaduct is underground there and if you take a paved road off to the left that goes uphill a short ways there is a parking area and an entrance that is where a siphon pulls the water uphill and is then exposed again. I like to walk all the way down to the end in the early morning (before light) and fish the area that overlooks the valley/ranch beneath Cedar Springs/Silverwood. I have caught huge cat (12 lbs) in the Aqaduct there and have seen lot's of bait (Silversides) and tuly perch, also have seen big blow ups on bait balls by stripers I would assume but they are a tough bite for some reason in there. I've tried a lot of different lures and use a big Fluke a lot and only been hammered a couple times. I've spoken with DFG out there and when they draw down the Aquaduct for stolen vehicle removal he said that there are huge striper in there but he didn't see the numbers that seem to populate other stretches of the Aquaduct, but I will not give up I will pull one out one of these days!!!!!

Good luck!

I know someone who fished in the place that you guys are talking about. he pulled like 20lber out of there. But i dont know if it was true or not.

TheAsianGuy
06-09-2011, 02:46 PM
If Seal confirms this, or towards this size, I may have to bring out the my heavy-medium ocean gears to do some major hauling..and a fresh pair of pants just in case.

mora
06-09-2011, 11:10 PM
two weeks ago ai got a 17.25 pounds cat from there.but i start fishing on ranchero rd.and make my way down to the siphon.i use fresh shrimp and a 2/0 hook.w/1oz.lead in a cr.

tacklejunkie
06-09-2011, 11:21 PM
If Seal confirms this, or towards this size, I may have to bring out the my heavy-medium ocean gears to do some major hauling..and a fresh pair of pants just in case.
Any time you fish the duct better bring your A game.
That place is no joke.

stocker
06-10-2011, 01:02 AM
I do remember at the silverwood store about a year or so ago there was a pic of a 30plus that came outta there according to one of the cashiers. I've fished that area before off and on w/o success however that doesn't mean much. The duct is an entirely different animal. I've heard the splashes at night tho! Dues paid would probably wire a guy into a giant. I confirm Seal's observation about the tuly's and the 'sides.

yolo
06-10-2011, 05:34 AM
You guys been seeing the tullies and sides lately over there? The ones in the AV have disappeared since the winter draw down. Been catching plenty of stripers still without them around but I don't know what happened to them. They were so thick this time of year in pre draw down years. Wondering if it's the same in the Hesperia area as far as the tullies and sides go.

seal
06-10-2011, 08:33 AM
You guys been seeing the tullies and sides lately over there? The ones in the AV have disappeared since the winter draw down. Been catching plenty of stripers still without them around but I don't know what happened to them. They were so thick this time of year in pre draw down years. Wondering if it's the same in the Hesperia area as far as the tullies and sides go.

He lives!

It's been a while since I've fished the Duct, been having too much fun on the LMB's at Silverwood so I would say it was prior to the drawdown that I witnessed the Tuly's. I guess one of these days I'll have to join Asian guy on a striper hunt.

fish-o-haulic
06-10-2011, 08:37 AM
Any time you fish the duct better bring your A game.
That place is no joke.

YEP!!! thats what my uncle has been telling me since i first fished the duct when i was 10 years old. hes a seasoned duct fisherman and does not codone this light tackle crap some people like to bring to the duct. Medium heavy to heavy reels, 7' and 8' rods. 15-25lb test. on big treble hooks and pyramid sinkers.

TheAsianGuy
06-10-2011, 09:00 AM
Anything to do with 10lbs+, you can't bring light or medium gears unless you want to buy new gears later, or work at it for 20min+ . I want to fight a quick short fight..either I'm going to get exhausted first, or the monsters that lurk the water. Will prep the two major gears for some near future actions in the summer.

Seal, what's the best/nominal time range to access the duct just above the Silverwood without getting into trouble with the DFG for the local authority? Where's the best place to park to stroll along the entire 5 miles length without getting into trouble for parking off-road up there?

fish-o-haulic
06-10-2011, 09:03 AM
Anything to do with 10lbs+, you can't bring light or medium gears unless you want to buy new gears later, or work at it for 20min+ . I want to fight a quick short fight..either I'm going to get exhausted first, or the monsters that lurk the water. Will prep the two major gears for some near future actions in the summer.

Seal, what's the best/nominal time range to access the duct just above the Silverwood without getting into trouble with the DFG for the local authority? Where's the best place to park to stroll along the entire 5 miles length without getting into trouble for parking off-road up there?

My friend 10lb test maybe even a little on the light side. 12lb and up is more like it. Some people may mess around with lighter tackle but ive expereinced what the aqueduct does to light tackle, it aint pretty. Some people bring light tackle because they dont expect to get a big fish, but fishing the duct for a long time now I can say from experience there are big fish in there.

seal
06-10-2011, 09:14 AM

24hrs with no worries but I've been told of some issues with low life's rolling guys out solo, even old folks, but that was a few years ago nothing recent. I had one little episode with guys that looked to be stealing gas, gave um the stink eye and they started mouthing off but that was my only issue. That's kind of why I like the morning instead of night, all the losers are sleeping in.

The area I described has enough room on the right side to park and there is a little turnout off to the left to park also, just make sure you don't block the off road path you never know if a quad might take out the side of your vehicle (although off roading is supposed to be illegal there). You can also access the Aquaduct a mile or 2 up from there but not sure on the roads to get there, Google maps might get you there, follow the Aquaduct up and there should be a road that crosses it, I think it's closed after it meets the Duct but still gets you more into the middle, just never tried it myself.

TheAsianGuy
06-10-2011, 09:23 AM
My friend 10lb test maybe even a little on the light side. 12lb and up is more like it.

No no..I'm talking about the 10lbs+ monsters. Not the test line. Going up with a 10lbs, I rather have a 15lbs or more line to fight it.

TheAsianGuy
06-10-2011, 09:26 AM
24hrs with no worries but I've been told of some issues with low life's rolling guys out solo, even old folks, but that was a few years ago nothing recent. I had one little episode with guys that looked to be stealing gas, gave um the stink eye and they started mouthing off but that was my only issue. That's kind of why I like the morning instead of night, all the losers are sleeping in.

The area I described has enough room on the right side to park and there is a little turnout off to the left to park also, just make sure you don't block the off road path you never know if a quad might take out the side of your vehicle (although off roading is supposed to be illegal there). You can also access the Aquaduct a mile or 2 up from there but not sure on the roads to get there, Google maps might get you there, follow the Aquaduct up and there should be a road that crosses it, I think it's closed after it meets the Duct but still gets you more into the middle, just never tried it myself.

Got it. Thanks. I'll make sure you to bring some thief deterrent gears with me, or for some interesting excursion meeting with low lives. I'll make sure to move away from main paths to prevent blockage. Thanks for the heads up.

fish-o-haulic
06-10-2011, 09:31 AM
I know when i fish any part of the duct thats way out in the middle of nowhere at night i bring a coule of freinds whos names are. 12 gauge and 9 milimeter.

TheAsianGuy
06-10-2011, 09:54 AM
I know when i fish any part of the duct thats way out in the middle of nowhere at night i bring a coule of freinds whos names are. 12 gauge and 9 milimeter.

Hope you got licenses for those ;) a 6 inch hunting and military issued knives are a lot easier to get out of than a couple of guns without licenses.

fish-o-haulic
06-10-2011, 10:48 AM
Yes i do, I always keep my license for them.

seal
06-10-2011, 10:55 AM
No guns in the Aquaduct, it's illegal. Although every year when bird season opens up I see hunters in the actual Aquaduct, but I've heard them get busted also, actually have seen DFG in there quite a bit.

TheAsianGuy
06-10-2011, 10:59 AM
So..machetes, knives, and wild animal (as well as crazy people) warning tools are fine..right?

fish-o-haulic
06-10-2011, 12:28 PM
No guns in the Aquaduct, it's illegal. Although every year when bird season opens up I see hunters in the actual Aquaduct, but I've heard them get busted also, actually have seen DFG in there quite a bit.

I didnt say guns, teh, my two freinds that i take are named 12 gauge and 9 militer, its there nickname, ya lets go with that.

TheAsianGuy
06-10-2011, 12:37 PM
I didnt say guns, teh, my two freinds that i take are named 12 gauge and 9 militer, its there nickname, ya lets go with that.

:ROLF: Okay..I'll call mine "dicer" and "chopper" :Wink:

fish-o-haulic
06-10-2011, 12:39 PM
:ROLF: Okay..I'll call mine "dicer" and "chopper" :Wink:

I wana get a new freind either 30-06 or 30 30

yolo
06-10-2011, 07:37 PM
He lives!

It's been a while since I've fished the Duct, been having too much fun on the LMB's at Silverwood so I would say it was prior to the drawdown that I witnessed the Tuly's. I guess one of these days I'll have to join Asian guy on a striper hunt.
I know the tule are still around cause the poachers been using them recently. Although not seeing the tule either like I used to. I meant more the silversides. There are schools of hundreds to thousands by this time cruising around. They don't go down like the tule. They are just non existent though. I was even seeing LMB at one spot with a couple of 3 to 4 lbers and a school of 9 smaller lmb. They were at that spot for months. After the drawdown I never saw them again.

My friend 10lb test maybe even a little on the light side. 12lb and up is more like it. Some people may mess around with lighter tackle but ive expereinced what the aqueduct does to light tackle, it aint pretty. Some people bring light tackle because they dont expect to get a big fish, but fishing the duct for a long time now I can say from experience there are big fish in there.

I have been using 10lb since last fall and have caught more fish than ever. Only had 1 break off and that was due to a nick in my guide insert. Replaced it and never broke off since. I'm using Pline CXX which is strong stuff but 10lb test has not been an issue. Had many buoy line rubbing, running fish and all were landed on it. I have landed DD on 6lb with a light rod and spinning reel. It was in open water. Ran me very close to a gas pipe support piling and that would have been trouble had it made it to it. The light set up is not my norm but I do use it at times. There have been times when I hook up with it but can't get a good hook set because of the action of the rod. Still kinda fun to nail some on light tackle. This is using all lures though. If you bait n wait, then stouter tackle is better for the fast current.

evosamurai
06-10-2011, 07:41 PM
leo when u going??????????????

TheAsianGuy
06-10-2011, 07:55 PM
I have been using 10lb since last fall and have caught more fish than ever. Only had 1 break off and that was due to a nick in my guide insert. Replaced it and never broke off since. I'm using Pline CXX which is strong stuff but 10lb test has not been an issue. Had many buoy line rubbing, running fish and all were landed on it. I have landed DD on 6lb with a light rod and spinning reel. It was in open water. Ran me very close to a gas pipe support piling and that would have been trouble had it made it to it. The light set up is not my norm but I do use it at times. There have been times when I hook up with it but can't get a good hook set because of the action of the rod. Still kinda fun to nail some on light tackle. This is using all lures though. If you bait n wait, then stouter tackle is better for the fast current.

Definitely will keep that in mind. If my brother and his friends are using the medium-heavy and heavy gears, I'll go with my medium gear..Will make sure to have at least the 10lbs, but will stick with the minimum of 15lbs just in case. Rather be smart than sorry I guess.

leo when u going??????????????

I'm waiting on my brother to response. He just got back from Hawaii, and need a bit of time to recoup from his trip. He's contacting a few of his friends as well. I may be shelling out serious set-up gears if he and his friends all decided to come, unless they are willing to contribute..at knife points.

M@M
06-11-2011, 07:17 PM
Hesperia Duct Stripers.....They are in there! Just really hard to catch. I got lucky!...Twice.......16 & 20 lbshttp://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab181/MJM1955/fish012.jpg
http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab181/MJM1955/first%20duct%20striper/FIRSTDUCTSTRIPER.jpg

sorry pics are so big. I'm not too good on the computer.......

TheAsianGuy
06-11-2011, 07:23 PM
Holy piece of meat :EyePop: :!!!: :!!!: and you're using a medium gear? You're a skilled man. Must be a heck of a battle heh? What bait(s) did you use? Spill the info oh skilled one!

kingfish2
06-11-2011, 07:26 PM
damn you got that in hesperia . i live up here... where did you get that and how do you get to that part of the duct. i see it go under the street on main. and i havent spent the time tracking it from there.

M@M
06-11-2011, 07:39 PM
Asianguy.. 7" med action Ugly stick, Penn 550 spinning reel,14lb fluorocarbon line, 3/4 oz. Rat-L-Trap.
kingfish... Last 2mi. stretch before it goes back underground to Silverwood...off Sante Fe Rd.......
Like I said ..I got Lucky...haven"t been able to get a bite since....in over a year:Sad:.....Fishing from Phelan thru Hesperia....Need more reports from this area.....anybody else out there?

greenbean
06-15-2011, 12:18 AM
M@M, I got a spot I'd like to try over in Phelan. P.M. me if your interested. I live in Adelanto.

jayfish0084
06-15-2011, 06:08 PM
Ill be fishing the duct this weekend w/ my brother and a freind. None of us have fished there before. Driving all the way up there from Irvine. I'll be up there before sunrise. Anyone else gunna be there? Im thinking about trying the spot seal was talking about. How is the catfishing in the duct?

seal
06-15-2011, 06:20 PM
Ill be fishing the duct this weekend w/ my brother and a freind. None of us have fished there before. Driving all the way up there from Irvine. I'll be up there before sunrise. Anyone else gunna be there? Im thinking about trying the spot seal was talking about. How is the catfishing in the duct?

Very good, my best was about 12 lbs. and nice healthy fish.

RTG
06-16-2011, 03:54 PM

I certainly don't blame you for bringing a firearm, but it is posted as "No Firearms". Just sayin'...

RTG
06-16-2011, 03:56 PM
I certainly don't blame you for bringing a firearm, but it is posted as "No Firearms". Just sayin'...

Oops. Somebody beat me to it. Just didn't want to see you get in trouble.

TheAsianGuy
06-16-2011, 04:12 PM
Went to the stretch and scoped the entire length from 7th Avenue and Ranchero Rd all the way down to the last underground stretch above Silverwood. Can't believe how freaking windy it was up there as the humid hot air circulate off the aqueduct.

Okay, is it normal for 5 to 7 lbs fishes to jump out of the murky water like dolphins? I wished I brought a net to cast over that crazy school. Could have been good dinner if I land some major bodies down below.

evosamurai
06-16-2011, 04:23 PM
how do u get there i was thinking of checking out after work tomorrow or saturday morning i gotta fish saturday its time!! lol

TheAsianGuy
06-16-2011, 04:33 PM
Quickest path I've timed and measured is:

Use I-15 North. Exit Hwy 138. Turn right. Go along 138, and about 5 miles, you'll see the road Summit Valley Rd on your left. Turn left. Travel for 7 miles along Summit Valley Rd, and you'll see dirt path turn off point just before Los Flores St (34.3702, -117.3235). Park far to the side of the dirt path. Walk southwards for the lower stretch. Walk northwards if you want to get to the upper portion. Less than 10 minutes walk.

Fair warning. Take a lot of water with you. Damn. I took a nice 30 minutes walk in both directions, and consumed my 1 liter of water. Wear nice loose clothing that covers every part of your body. If you have UV protection clothing, use them. Otherwise, lots and lots of sunscreen. Crap, it was so hot and humid up there. Wind was kicking like crazy, estimated to be around 25mph minimum along that stretch.

evosamurai
06-16-2011, 05:01 PM
check out the street names just before u get there pretty cool,

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Silverwood+Lake,+CA&aq=0&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=57.249013,135.263672&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Silverwood+Lake&ll=34.349599,-117.379911&spn=0.007387,0.016512&t=f&z=17&ecpose=34.34934783,-117.37992238,2261.3,2.195,1.389,0.002

then this is it

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Silverwood+Lake,+CA&aq=0&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=57.249013,135.263672&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Silverwood+Lake&ll=34.358817,-117.316993&spn=0.007387,0.016512&t=f&z=17&ecpose=34.35841011,-117.31701211,2916.71,2.23,1.39,0.001

u can go north then theres ranchero road

whats the fishing situation there u think???

TheAsianGuy
06-16-2011, 05:08 PM
I saw the fishes jump along the lower stretch of aqueduct. Not too much liveliness at the Ranchero Rd crossing. However, I didn't have my gears with me, so I can't tell you how live it was. I wish I did. Burn nearly $100 worth of gas just doing exploration. When Seal said he burned tanks of gas just exploring, he ain't kidding.

However, if you're heading up there this weekends, aim for the lower part of the aqueduct to see if you can find something. I see some fishes attempted to swim upstream through the outlet just below the Summit Valley Rd. That may be your best starting point! Can't wait to land some stripers for dinner with my boy and his little friends.

evosamurai
06-16-2011, 05:09 PM
can u go saturday???

TheAsianGuy
06-16-2011, 05:12 PM
Nope..unfortunately not this weekends. Wife is working. Two young kids and the aqueduct of rushing current..a "HELL NO!" :Rolls Eyes: They are two freaking monkeys that would love the chance to jump into the water without hesitation. I don't want to chase them for 5 miles and then get spit out dead at the end of the pipe. I won't be able to explain to the wife that would be holding a razor sharp butcher knife, fling it at me as I blurp the last word out of my mouth :LOL:

evosamurai
06-16-2011, 05:15 PM
lol ok maybe the next weekend then

TheAsianGuy
06-16-2011, 05:17 PM
I know someone who fished in the place that you guys are talking about. he pulled like 20lber out of there. But i dont know if it was true or not.

Walked the stretch a few hours earlier. The stretch was extremely promising. Fishes were literally jumping out of the water at the outflow point. My smile was from ear to ear.

TheAsianGuy
06-16-2011, 05:19 PM
lol ok maybe the next weekend then

Are you planning on coming with us? Might be fun to be gathered in a large group together. Fend off crazy nuts maybe? We'll be there around 4:30am or 5am on a Sat (6/25), depending on how the young ones able to peel their bodies out of the beds.

seal
06-16-2011, 08:16 PM
Keep me posted, I might be on a different striper quest but if not I'll come play!

evosamurai
06-16-2011, 08:44 PM
yea id love to go fish there then the evening i have the 24 hour event at SARL...damn lot of fishing that weekend lol i might be beat

evosamurai
06-16-2011, 08:46 PM
i plan on going up there saturday morning by myself, ill bring the camera to take pics of the area and all to post on here, should i start from the top and work my way down? what do u think? im gonna try for the striper, for cats do i do the bait n wait? does that work in ducts?

evosamurai
06-16-2011, 09:01 PM
also let me know whats the best tackle to bring, ill go pick stuff up that i need tomorrow, kitties and striper

TheAsianGuy
06-16-2011, 11:39 PM
should i start from the top and work my way down? what do u think? im gonna try for the striper, for cats do i do the bait n wait? does that work in ducts?

Yep..start from the top of that final stretch of the aqueduct at that turn off point..then work yourself downwards. that's a 4.85 miles stretch man.

also let me know whats the best tackle to bring, ill go pick stuff up that i need tomorrow, kitties and striper

I already bought the Pearl White Flukes used by a few others earlier. Also bringing my Rapala X and the 6" shad for some live swimming action. I'll bring a few packs of chicken livers from the Asian market too.

evosamurai
06-17-2011, 04:56 AM
99 ranch carry them and where do i get the pearlflukes?

TheAsianGuy
06-17-2011, 09:47 AM
If you live locally, best place to get it is at the Seafood Market (or SM Market) on E Street in San B, just above Mills Ave. A nice package is only $1.49. Plenty of other stuff to get too.

The pearl sparkling flukes at Bass Pro. Can't find them anywhere around Walmart, Target, or smaller fishing stores. Bass Pro, 3rd isle to the left from the main reels and guns counter. You have Zoom, Bass Tournament, and Berkeley flukes. Best price and the ones that normally reported in is the Zoom flukes, 4" to 8" pearl flukes. $5.49 per pack.

evosamurai
06-17-2011, 10:30 AM
ok plan set in stone hitting it hard early morning going to bass pro today lets do this!!!

evosamurai
06-17-2011, 01:40 PM
anyone wanna meet me up there?

evosamurai
06-17-2011, 06:25 PM
man went to bass pro to get super flukes and 80 bucks later im walking out evil store I tell u lol

TheAsianGuy
06-17-2011, 06:30 PM
man went to bass pro to get super flukes and 80 bucks later im walking out evil store I tell u lol

and..you'll be more and more in debts when you stay there for more than 3 hours :LOL:

evosamurai
06-17-2011, 07:46 PM
leo send me your numbet

kingfish2
06-17-2011, 07:57 PM
when you guys going?

evosamurai
06-17-2011, 09:34 PM
im going tomorrow morning

Nessie Hunter
06-18-2011, 07:56 AM
Just an FYI...........
That is my stomping grounds and favorite section of the Duct at Summit Valley Rd & South to Silverwood.
Gets scary at nigh from wildlife. Very Isolated section, nothing around for Miles...
Big cats, Snakes (Mojave greens all over at times) even a Bear now & then.
Be afraid, be very afraid.. I wont go alone at night (im scared)...... Yikes!!!!

The last 2 miles or so. South from Los Flores Rd (dirt road) is off limits & signed as such...
MWD does have a roving White Pick Up Truck that patrols now & then...
Used to be on a regular 2 hr like route?? But have not even seen it in a long time?????

They will run you out of that last 2 miles. Or even call Cops???????
Used to be pretty friendly, but????

at least carry a club or ??? for the wildlife..........

M@M
06-18-2011, 09:46 AM
two weeks ago ai got a 17.25 pounds cat from there.but i start fishing on ranchero rd.and make my way down to the siphon.i use fresh shrimp and a 2/0 hook.w/1oz.lead in a cr.

Mora....Congrates that a BIG catfish!

M@M
06-18-2011, 10:18 AM
I'll be out there, after I leave work today at 4pm. Maybe I'll run into you if your still there. Good luck out there!! Tight lines, Mike

evosamurai
06-18-2011, 01:31 PM
failed today will post pics later